Corsair Community

My TX650W blew up but still working

joriks

Is that even possible that PSU is still working after blowing up? Maybe it even didn't blow up? So here's the situation:

Wife was sitting by PC and simply browsing web and I was just chilling in sofa (~ 3m from PC desk). Then suddenly loud bang and flashing lights came from PC. Half of the house went dark (which isn't surprise in these situations). I saw the light coming from PC because I have 120mm fan on top of the case. So I opened the PC to see what damage I'm dealing with. Absolutely no signs of any damaged parts. Not even a burning smell. So I closed my PC, plugged all wires back in and turned my PC on. It turned on. Went to win 7 login screen and asked me to chose user. Unfortunately I was unable to chose one as all of the USB ports wasn't working. Tried even wired keyboard and still nothing. So I wanted to try the best problem solver for Windows - restart PC :) As I couldn't do it the safe I had no chose to turn it of by holding power button. It didn't help either. PC was still on. Switching of PSU helped.

So I'm confused now. There's no visible sign of burning. PSU is still working. Motherboard is damaged as none of the USB ports are working (and who knows what else). Graphics card might be damaged too (works fine when connected to TV using HDMI but if connected to monitor using DVI then monitor goes to sleep mode).

Is that even possible for PSU to blow up with massive bang and flashing lights and then keep working? It's not even 16 months yet since I bought everything and build my own machine. I'm still under warranty so I can apply for RMA and get replacement but who will cover all other damage? Can I get compensation from Corsair as by their fault my equipment was damaged? For mobo and graphics card alone I spent £250 and who knows there might be more damage done. I can't check for more damage as my PC is unusable.

I was thinking to put my hdd and other parts in my friends PCs but they all have branded PCs with active warranties.

Any ideas what can and should I do now?

Archived