Corsair Community

Possible HX1200i problems?

Just leaving a posting for others to see how this case resolved:

HX1200i went dead on July 28th, 2020

Filed for an advance replacement and paid by credit card on July, 30th.

Advanced replacement HX1200i came very quickly on August 4th, 2020. (That particular rig would have been down for one week if I had reinstalled the new HX1200i as soon as I received it.)

5 stars to Corsair for their quick advance replacement option and for several support members who emailed me promptly with the correct details to get the return processed. Well done on the warranty end Corsair! Much better than 3 or 4 weeks that many competitors likely offer, so kudos for that service. I am also glad this forum has Jonny and I believe Corsair is trying to improve their PSU support options.

That said, our lab has experienced several Corsair PSU failures in the last three years, including a fair percentage of the AX units that we used to use. On August 1st, I went to our department's store room and signed for a 1200 watt PSU (from a competitor brand to Corsair). I installed it that day with no issues.

The reason I had originally chosen the HX1200i for one of my home rigs is bc it seemed like more of a workhorse without the temperamental electrical engineering issues of the AX line, and then that unit too failed about 28 months in. I just can't have that on a near-mission-critical rig. Because of this, I am choosing to go with a competitor for the short term and see how that works out. That competitor does not have the iCUE enabled monitoring of the PSU by USB cable offered by Corsair but that works out just fine for me, .... I actually prefer a rock solid unit that works versus one that may or may not, especially with the ever erratic iCUE. (iCUE has improved over the last two years but it always gives me an uneasy feeling and early versions of this software caused CTD and BSOD. I also do not like that the install takes up more than 1 GB of drive space.)

I have a plethora of Corsair enabled parts in my PCs, ... and I like them. I plan to buy more high-end Corsair hardware in the future, ... just not any more PSUs. If there is anything I would urge Jonny and Corsair to consider, .... it would be the exact electrical engineering design of the PSUs. The design specs have ... issues. If all the design work is done by poorly paid Seasonic electrical engineers in Taiwan, who in the United States is overseeing that work and making sure the designs are rock solid? I suspect there are few if any real electrical engineers in Fremont, CA who are actually overseeing the designs and correcting the errors. I mean no disrespect to Jonny, but I remain skeptical that the overall failure rate of Seasonic (Corsair) PSUs is under 1%. I have a Swiss Army knife my grandfather gave to me that was made in the 1960's I believe, ... still works as well today as the day it was made. No reason that higher end Corsair PSUs cannot be engineered to almost the same levels, ... if corporate is willing to pay qualified U.S. engineers $140,000 a year to correct the designs. I have a feeling that if you calculate the return rate and loss, it is cheaper just to pay the standard Bay Area salary for a highly qualified engineering team.

Something to consider .....

Edited by jayhall0315

• 5 months later...

I sent my RMA request in today for HX1200

I have a HX1200 and it not working.

I bought amazon.co.uk (the returned product has arrived not new :/ I do not want to use this product anymore because both defective and returned item)

I regret not taking the ax1000 , I don't want repair on this product.

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by FthTrzk

Amazon probably sent back a returned PSU already affected by the defect... they don't really care about product recall.

Shame..

I had 3 x 1200i from amazon in 7 days, after explaining every time about affected lot codes then said they understood and my new PSU wouldn't have the problem, guess what? the 2 replacements were in the affected lot codes and at that point I gave up.

Went with the hx1000i instead and its be rock steady but shame on amazon. (uk)

Yep... as Johnyguru said many times, retailers often don't care about recalls. Corsair informs them but thye don't care, they just use their existing return policy instead. less work than to track every affected box in the warehouse...

... but it's you, the customer who get all the headache and lost time.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody again.

I bought a HX1200 on February 6, 2021 (amazon.co.uk)

I sent it to Netherlands with RMA on february 25, 2021.

Corsair USA sent a new hx1200 on March 3, 2021.

Old hx1200 lot is 2038xxxxx, new hx1200 lot is 2039xxxxxx.

The new item is as problematic as before, my system does not works. I can not use my computer since February 3, 2021, unfortunately.

If i saw this topic i definitely would not buy a hx1200 !!!

Corsair customer service is excellent but hx1200 sucks just as much !!

I asked for help again, I hope they will help.

Old RMA: 2004040420

New RMA: 2004115541 (no response yet.)

Edited by FthTrzk

Well they sent you one from the affected lot, so that won't be very helpful.. (lot 2030 to 2041)

HX1200 is excellent, but this time Corsair customer service sucked, if i may rephrase you :)

They should have purged their inventory, which apparently hasn't been done.

Well they sent you one from the affected lot, so that won't be very helpful.. (lot 2030 to 2041)

HX1200 is excellent, but this time Corsair customer service sucked, if i may rephrase you :)

They should have purged their inventory, which apparently hasn't been done.

Hi LeDoyen,

I'm sorry for my bad English. I may not be able to write some sentences properly.

Like you said "but this time Corsair customer service sucked" I didn't think so :) you are right. They could send me a party without any problem.

If they focused on what I wrote; I will not go through this process again.

I'm tired and miss playing games on my desktop system.

Affectionately.

I wasn't totally right either.. Customer support did their job, they are not responsible about what happens in the warehouse. It's not the first time it has happened unfortunately. Lets hope that other occurence give them arguments to get the warehouse purged of defective units..