Corsair Community

Can not type password when Mac Restart

Is some one actively working on this issue? Is there an issue tracker we can contribute?

Agreed. This is super annoying that we have to flip in and out of BIOS mode to simply log onto our computers. Corsair blames Apple, and Apple I'm sure doesn't care at all.

Somehow other keyboard manufacturers have come up with a solution, otherwise we'd be hearing complaints all over the place. The only similar situation I could find was with Logitech's Bluetooth keyboards, and that's it.

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. This is super annoying that we have to flip in and out of BIOS mode to simply log onto our computers. Corsair blames Apple, and Apple I'm sure doesn't care at all.

Somehow other keyboard manufacturers have come up with a solution, otherwise we'd be hearing complaints all over the place. The only similar situation I could find was with Logitech's Bluetooth keyboards, and that's it.

This isn't an Apple issue, I have other keyboards that work just fine. Whether it's a cheap $10 keyboard or a DAS. As others noted, this problem also happens with Corsair keyboards in Windows with BitLocker enabled.

Given that BitLocker and FileVault do the same thing, something is off with these Corsair keyboards that needs fixing and they're choosing not to fix it.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I work for a tech giant, and have some info that may be useful.

Right now with MacOS the way the kexts (esentially drivers for macOS) are loaded inside the kernel. The kexts have two main homes. In the kernel, and in System/Library/Extensions. The way MacOS has locked things down since 10.15.x has meant that no other kexts can side load with the kernel. Only OS kexts needed to boot the OS properly will.

I have even tried on my Big Sur Beta 10, 2019 Mac Pro, and the issue remains. I can use my bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse to login only. As soon as I am booted up, iCue loads, it sees my keyboard, and headphones and things start working as expected.

Unless Apple lets go of the reins of security for programs to be added to the kernel loader, this isn't really a Corsair issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I work for a tech giant, and have some info that may be useful.

Right now with MacOS the way the kexts (esentially drivers for macOS) are loaded inside the kernel. The kexts have two main homes. In the kernel, and in System/Library/Extensions. The way MacOS has locked things down since 10.15.x has meant that no other kexts can side load with the kernel. Only OS kexts needed to boot the OS properly will.

I have even tried on my Big Sur Beta 10, 2019 Mac Pro, and the issue remains. I can use my bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse to login only. As soon as I am booted up, iCue loads, it sees my keyboard, and headphones and things start working as expected.

Unless Apple lets go of the reins of security for programs to be added to the kernel loader, this isn't really a Corsair issue.

Then how come my $10 junk USB keyboard from Amazon work just fine? Same for my DAS and Logitech. Keyboard or Mouse. It's only Corsair that has this issue.

Also the fact that the same thing happens on Windows with BitLocker, again when it doesn't happen with other keyboards, quite clearly, Corsair is at fault here.

Edited by Maestro1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Yes I did back when I found it. I was told that it's a known issue and "for the time being" I need to just disable FileVault! :D:

I feel like there must be ways to detect and fallback automatically like the bios mode to enable the password input. I just resubmit a ticket to customer support. This is annoying and the product should not marked as mac compatible if we can not use it to type password.

oh it's not just a Mac thing. it also doesn't work on PC to type your password when using Bitlocker. Corsair keyboards just don't work in "legacy" mode.. Annoying on a laptop, but you can still use the laptop keyboard..

On a desktop, well, you're screwed.

• 3 months later...

It's been another 6 months and no firmware fix for this. I don't think they plan on fixing it. So if you're using FileVault on macOS or BitLocker on Windows, just don't buy a Corsair keyboard.

Sadly it's as simple as that. If you care about security of your computer, Corsair products are just not for you.

I ended up getting a K65 RGB Mini 60% keyboard.

This newer keyboard does not have the same issue at all.

So this is something that can be fixed, but is actively chosen not to be fixed.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had this same issue with my k70 keyboard and had opened a support ticket back in october of 2020.  Back in Jan of 2021 I received an email from JosephN that stated "I am glad to announce that we will be releasing a firmware update within the next month that should resolve this issue you are having".  The issue seemed to have been resolved until I updated to icue 4.20.169 this morning and now the problem is back. 

Keyboard works fine after you disconnect it and login to the mac desktop (and once icue loads), then reconnect your keyboard.  

I do wish there was a bit more mac testing with these products/software given the claim of support on their site.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 9:34 AM, onyx78 said:

I had this same issue with my k70 keyboard and had opened a support ticket back in october of 2020.  Back in Jan of 2021 I received an email from JosephN that stated "I am glad to announce that we will be releasing a firmware update within the next month that should resolve this issue you are having".  The issue seemed to have been resolved until I updated to icue 4.20.169 this morning and now the problem is back. 

Keyboard works fine after you disconnect it and login to the mac desktop (and once icue loads), then reconnect your keyboard.  

I do wish there was a bit more mac testing with these products/software given the claim of support on their site.

Was just asked by support to go find a PC to plug the keyboard into.  Stellar support here

• 1 month later...

It looks like Corsair will not do anything about this problem after years feedback we gave. For anyone who is using Mac for business purpose, I strong recommend to double think before purchase Corsair.