Corsair Community

Problem running 4 * 8 GB Vengeance?

Gamlastan

I have a problem staring windows after upgrading bios.

MB manufacturer rep suggested that my memory config was problematic. I have bought 4 Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10) and it was suggested that they can not be used together. SPD was designed for single stick use and not as I am running them 4 together.

Does anyone know if this true?

Some google research indicates that a kit is guaranteed to work together but that there should not be a problem running 4 identical single memory modules as I do. At least as long as no OC is planned.

Can anyone confirm this?

Sorry, using individual sticks is considered mixing memory and is not a practivce that is suggested or supported by Corsair. This can and most often cause the sorts of issues your facing now.

Best to make sure your BIOS is up to date and test each stick by itself in the first slot with memtest86+ to see if you have a failing module. And we can go from there depending o the results.

Sorry, using individual sticks is considered mixing memory and is not a practivce that is suggested or supported by Corsair. This can and most often cause the sorts of issues your facing now.

Best to make sure your BIOS is up to date and test each stick by itself in the first slot with memtest86+ to see if you have a failing module. And we can go from there depending o the results.

I did not know this. Well, I am hoping for the best since I have invested in these sticks. And it seems that the main problem is solved. Posting here for the benefit of anyone else having the same problem:

As suggested I removed all but one dimm. Then flashed bios from 1405 to 1602. After that I changed timings from auto to XMP. Also changed SATA from AHCI to RAID (obviously). Left the rest as is from flash defaults. Computer starts like a charm!

Now, re-installed rest of dimms. Computer still starts like a charm!

Concluded that XMP setting solved the issue and went about changing the rest of my bios settings (except that I keep XMP) back to what it was. Did these settings:

VRM Spread Spectrum [Disabled]->[Enabled]

Boot performance mode [Max Non-Turbo Performance]->[Turbo Performance]

Dynamic Storage Accelerator [Disabled]->[Enabled]

ASPM Support [Disabled]->[Auto]

ASPM Support [Disabled]->[Auto]

PEG - ASPM [Disabled]->[Auto]

PCI Express Native Power Management [Disabled]->[Enabled]

Native ASPM [Disabled]->[Enabled]

Thunderbolt Controller [Enabled]->[Disabled]

Thunderbolt bandwidth [X4 mode]->[X2 mode]

Bluetooth Controller [Enabled]->[Disabled]

Wi-Fi Controller [Enabled]->[Disabled]

USB Support [Partial Initialization]->[Full Initialization]

POST Report [5 sec]->[3 sec]

Problem is back! Computer freezes at "Starting windows" right at GUI start.

So I am changing back the bios settings one by one. It turns out that the computer will not start with Thunderbolt Controller disabled with bios 1602.

Rechecked and confirmed this. My setup and config will not start with Thunderbolt Controller disabled.

So I am changing back the bios settings one by one. It turns out that the computer will not start with Thunderbolt Controller disabled with bios 1602.

Rechecked and confirmed this. My setup and config will not start with Thunderbolt Controller disabled.

That's bizarre. I'd report that to the MOBO maker as a bug. ::pirate::

Archived