Corsair Community

Obsidian 800D hotswap PCB issue - no answer from RMA...

izajasz

Hello there,

I ve submitted RMA ticked 5 days ago with the problem and i did not get any answer. Corsair new ticket system says I'm gonna get answer in 8h and yet nobody cared to contact me. Would be nice if someone form corsair could assist. Ill send the ticket number via PW. The problem is with the howtswap PCB - when i insert SATA3 drive to the ports to which asmedia sata3 controller is connected the disk is recognized by windows but then , most of the times i want to unplug the device the PC freezes until i put the HDD back again. I tried on hotswap connected to Intel SATA2 with the same drive - no problem, when i connect the drive directly to asmedia SATA3 controller without the hotswap PCB in the way it works good too... I am using Rampage IV Extreme mobo. The drive is oddly recognized in Disk management applet when connected throught modular PCB. Here is the video of what i mean : https://www.dropbox.com/s/9iryib9so10sek2/2013-04-24%2020.04.56.mp4

Yes of course. Im not new to the PC industry I have AHCI tiurned onm, i have Samsung 840 PRO as boot drive and SAMSUNG 830 for games etc + ST1000DM003 HDD for data. IT turns out that the modular PCB was lower quality that i imagined. Just 3 mins before i took old 250GB Seagate SATA2 drive and inserted into the modular PCB, then i removed it and after that no drive can be ever recognized by windows. Additionally my date reset itself in BIOS 2nd time again because of this PCB (reset date happened only when i tested the PCB). So after removing the drive the PCB no longer detects anything, even SATA2 drives. When i took the drive and connected it just by bare cables that i use to connect to modular PCB it works as a charm. This modular PCB is the crappiest quality accesory for the case i ever seen. No problems with NZXT hot swap in Switch 810... Corsair i thought that after 3 years You fixed problems with this modular crap .... A modular PCB that resets BIOS date.... Soo weird.

EDIT: If this PCB resets BIOS date than something is clearly not right... I hope it did not screw up my PC... I am shocked about the quality of this PCB. Oh, and i forgot , am using newest BIOS avible, newest driuvers for every device including RST and Asmedia Sata driver...

check your cmos battery, losing the date is a strong sign of a weak battery.

also you are more than welcome to RMA the backplane, this is a VERY unusual problem, first one i heard about like this. even if the issue exists somewhere else lets get the backplane replaced. please post your case# or RMA# and im sure the staff will look into it on monday and get the ball rolling on a replacement. you can call them toll free as well, its much faster than waiting for the automated email.

good luck, this is a new one on me.

P.S. have you tried the "safely remove hardware" before removing the drive? (if it is listed in there)

My ticket no is 6008084 . The fact is , yes, i have tried clicking in the tray to safely remove the disk (its only avible for ASMEDIA controller tho and i tried on intel controller it worked before but now the PCB is dead because it doesnt work on either ) and the same thing happens. I thought of doing it on video but i did not think anyone would ask as it always worked properly on the same setup in NZXT case hotswap bay. The fact is that the mobo is brand new too so i dont think the cmos battery is weak abnd the other weird thing is that the bios settings did not change - only the date ...

Come on? Will someone contact me ???? I am WAITING more than a week to get some stupid modular PCB replaced. People from Corsair where the hell are You ? I bought a hell of expensive case from You to get to know that it has still Hotswap PCB issues not resolved. Should i beg You to do something about this ? For me that waiting time is already unnaceptable. The ticket system shows 8h response and nobody GIVES A DAMN about my case... I am really mad.

• Corsair Employee

I posted this earlier but because of a backup restore the post was lost.

I have approved your request and you should get an email conformation stating as much and you will also get a follow up email with tracking information in the next 24-48 hours if not please contact our customer service by phone and ask for parts department and I am sure they will get that sorted out.

Thank You for assistance. I was wonderign about this and i think i could just buy an old 800D which had old hot swap PCB with issues. I hope Corsair tests those PCB before shipping. I dont want my pc fried XD

Archived