Corsair Community

Corsair Link/Commander - One of the Best and worst in the same box?

Mamajuanauk

Before I start, A little about me. I'm a computer engineer with 10 years experience, MSP, ITIL and for the last 5 years, I've been (and still am) an IT Project Manager with a medium sized Multi-National Company.

I have 3 machines running the H100 water cooler, these have all worked well since it was installed. On the main machine I decided to add the Link Commander and cooling node. This does not work out of the box, there is no software included and with the exception of the 'Quick Start Guide' which provides some basic installation guidance, there is no real guidance on setting this up and getting it to work.

This is how I came to this forum.

So, I downloaded the software, latest version and nothing worked. After spending some time scanning & searching the forum, I found the thread regarding the firmware updates.

Followed the steps to the letter. Still it didn't work correctly. I then posted into the forum for help and guidance, as I suspect many people would have done the same.

Here, I was guided through troubleshooting and finally arrived at the point of a dead cooling Node!

RMA requested, processed and item replaced, it now works! About a month after first installation!

Here is the bad bit! IF, some software was included in the box, that would allow this system to work, then point to the upgrade of the software and firmware, it would have been a much better experience!

The reason for this post is to start a conversation about what 'Should' be included in the box.

I would suggest, the current, at the time of packing, version the software. This would allow the system to work out of the box, prevent frustration and reduce the number od 'Dead' Nodes.

I know I'm not the only one to have had a bad start with this kit, does anyone else have any comments?

Regards

A simple fix would be to add a bit of text in case the user does have the older FW installed to the downloads tab for the LINK kit. That way it will prevent any issues like you have experienced. Or add a piece of paper to the packaging telling them if their Commander Unit is not detected, they should go to a link that has the tutorial available to make it work in the newer version. Adding a CD for it is not really the best option as it does go to waste since most users would go online to download the latest.

A simple fix would be to add a bit of text in case the user does have the older FW installed to the downloads tab for the LINK kit. That way it will prevent any issues like you have experienced. Or add a piece of paper to the packaging telling them if their Commander Unit is not detected, they should go to a link that has the tutorial available to make it work in the newer version. Adding a CD for it is not really the best option as it does go to waste since most users would go online to download the latest.

Thanks for the reply Toasted, can someone make it happen? I was on the verge of returning my unit, which would have been a shame as, now it's working it really is Brilliant! Just painfull getting here!

Regards.

M

• Corsair Employee
Here is the bad bit! IF, some software was included in the box, that would allow this system to work, then point to the upgrade of the software and firmware, it would have been a much better experience!

The reason for this post is to start a conversation about what 'Should' be included in the box.

We are working on the documentation now and I would expect better documentation both on how to install the hardware and software. I am not sure how long it will take but I would expect it to start coming out in parts in the next few weeks.

• 2 months later...

Looks like they haven't done anything about it yet because I just bought the Commander + Cooling Kit + Light Kit and had issues from the get go this past week. Like mamajuanauk mentioned, the firmware had to be updated before my computer would actually see the Commander. On top of that, issues with connecting the H100i and AX860i directly to the commander doesn't help (you can't connect it directly to the commander). My mobo (Asus Maximus V Extreme) only has 2 USB 2.0 internal headers. Why doesn't this all just work together? Maybe that is why everythign is still packed in plain boxes. It seems like its beta hardware being sold.

I added 5 PWM fans to the Cooling Kit, 2 connected to fans that came with the H100i, 2 Noctua NF-12 fans, and one Corsair 120mm fan. Sometimes the Noctua fan doesn't spin up. I had to move it to different ports to get all fans going at the same time.

As with the software, it just plain doesn't seem to work as expected or promised. After making changes to fan/LED lighting, they do not get reloaded unless you reselect the profile after rebooting. Just try saving a different name profile, if you can figure it out. The color cycling based on temperature doesn't work either. I was so excited in the beginning of the possibilities of Corsair Link, but ultimately its one of the biggest let downs.

Am I the only one who has had these problems?

• Corsair Employee
I, for one, RMAed my first Commander Link and received my new CL a few weeks ago. I still haven't installed it due to the overwhelming problems and frustration I experienced the first time around. Reading through the forum posts, do this, install this FW update and then this software update, in this particular order, and trying to keep everything straight has convinced me to wait until there are clear directions in one place to accomplish the task. Until then, it will remain in the box.

I think for one this kit should of never been released to the public when it did, it needed a lot more R&D, mostly the research part since they only did a few tests with a few products (fans). They posted the files under the tabs of the products which I think is fine but its not the correct ones and the software doesn't have legacy built in (not backwards compatible), I for one couldn't update my node with the new software (I had to downgrade to update). I don't mind going online to download the software as long as it works. Lets face it we all download our drivers for other hardware on our systems. Yes they include CDs with a lot of them but afterwards we download. I understand including it with hardware that would prevent you from using your computer (such as LAN,wifi and video drivers) these are essential the rest are add-ons (accessories). This is very subjective since some like to get cds with their products and some don't bother.

I always loved corsair products but this has to be the worst combo I've seen. Don't get me wrong I love the the cooling kit but they really need to fix the software and firmware and next time test their stuff before releasing it to the market. Not everyone wants to pay full price for something and ending up testing the products for the manufacturer. They will loose their loyal customers.

RAM GUY, I understand what you mean by first time system builder. I am not one of them. Adding a USB Corsair Link Commander with other USB Corsair Link enabled devices hardly qualifies as a "SYSTEM BUILD". Its just adding software controlled/monitored fans, lights, and PSU on top of a "SYSTEM BUILD". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, does the consumer/system builder need to consult your blog/forums to figure out how to get all of this to work? I checked the links you have mentioned to look into, but they all assume that everything is already working fine and all connected correctly from the get go. How about, showing a system with a commander working with 1 cooling node, 1 lighting node, 1 Hydro cooler, 1 PSU connected to it using 1 USB header? Now that would be how I think it should all work right? Since the commander is the "hub" that one would think all connects to.

RAM GUY, I understand what you mean by first time system builder. I am not one of them. Adding a USB Corsair Link Commander with other USB Corsair Link enabled devices hardly qualifies as a "SYSTEM BUILD". Its just adding software controlled/monitored fans, lights, and PSU on top of a "SYSTEM BUILD". Correct me if I'm wrong.

a system builder isnt someone who can slide a device in and plug a few wires

a system builder understands one piece of hardware or software CAN interfere with something else and can DIAGNOSE it and understand what area attention is needed.

one example that stands out is several times i have heard

''i installed this cooler and my computer wont boot'',,,THIS COOLER IS PURE JUNK

when all they did was disturb a memory chip

you just cant go into a computer like a bull in a china shop;):

wytnyt, so you have your H100i connected to the Link Commander?

yes along with a light and 2 cooling nodes and honestly its been near perfect as ive only had to touch it to play with it since installing.

i do have my os ssd drive not showing and no email ability but thats trivial

i also have an h100 with the same nodes and ect

I understand and this is not for the first time system builder so if you do not have experience with different hardware and other cooling options I would suggest returning it in that case.

Wow! That felt like a slap in the face to those of us that are providing feedback to obvious issues with this product and its lack of documentation. Like you, we're just trying to help sort everything out.

Wow! That felt like a slap in the face to those of us that are providing feedback to obvious issues with this product and its lack of documentation. Like you, we're just trying to help sort everything out.

no thats not his intention at all i assure you,i think tho that whats needed to install,troubleshoot or what not in these hydros cannot be put into a documentation,,if so there would be a book the size of several full length books at least.

theres no way to anticipate what problems will occur as theres just too many types of builds and way too many types of software available to users.

it really takes the ability ti diagnose things,an example is AISUITE

this has been proven to interfere with the link,now the novice would think that not running Aisuite would not create a problem but not so as simply being installed will cause a conflict.

this is simply one out of thousands examples where documentation isnt feasible and being able to diagnose comes into play.,or hopefully have the problem answered on the forum

Sorry, Ram Guy, rough day at work and I may be a little over sensitive tonight. I'm not a newbie with system builds but, admittedly, this is my first experience with liquid cooling and most certainly the CL unit. I learn something new everyday from this forum and am very appreciative for the support from Corsair to this point. Thanks, wytnyt.

you have no reason to apologize,if i didnt know ramguy a little i probably would have assumed the same.

ive never seen anyone as nice and understanding as he is but unfortunately what he said was right on target.

these units are above the average user but if they cant get help here theres always a shop that can do it and even going that route its still very much worth it as these hydros and link is the cutting edge on cooling and hardware monitoring.

you have no reason to apologize,if i didnt know ramguy a little i probably would have assumed the same.

ive never seen anyone as nice and understanding as he is but unfortunately what he said was right on target.

these units are above the average user but if they cant get help here theres always a shop that can do it and even going that route its still very much worth it as these hydros and link is the cutting edge on cooling and hardware monitoring.

I am NOT a "shop" kind of guy. You want your Tandy but, I want my Atari 800. I've been modifying and upgrading systems since 1983 (not the average user), and building and troubleshooting PC systems for the past 10 years. We never stop learning and, although liquid cooling and monitoring hardware is a new experience for me, I love the challenge. With that said, I will continue to support this product, with a little hesitancy, until the known issues are worked out. BTW, love the GTO!

Wow! That felt like a slap in the face to those of us that are providing feedback

That's exactly what it felt like. Basically the idea that we have no idea what we are talking about. You know what it can be possible. Even after having worked on computers since 1990 (still not as old as some) I can say I also may still not be a "System Builder". I guess one can say I just plug things in.

Granted that there maybe quite a few others that are non-system builders, I believe we here have enough experience.

But with that note aside, I still would like my corsair link to work together as it should.

Here are what I have tried so far.

Commander - firmware 2.0.6

H100i - firmware 1.0.5

Uninstalled CorsairLink 2.

Deleted files in /user.../.../Roaming/Corsair folder.

Removed the registry entries like wytnyt has mentioned, even the R2B74034 section (hello "psexec").

Shutdown.

Connected the H100i to the Corsair Link Commander (with the mini-USB of the H100i disconnected also the USB header).

Power on.

Re-Installed Corsair Link 2.

Still doesn't see H100i.

I also tried to connect the H100i using the AX860i USB dongle connected to a different USB header. (thinking its corsairlink, it should work right? Since the AX860i works OK using it). Still doesn't see the H100i.

Ultimately, every device is visible using 2 USB headers. Link Commander and the H100i USB.

There are still issues with the software however. Like the lighting node when configured to change via CPU temperature change.

wytnyt,

I don't have an older firmware version for the commander link as I have already updated it to 2.0.6. Can someone paste a link so I can download an older one? Maybe the H100i needs an older commander link firmware to be able to talk to it first before installing the software.

I don't have an older firmware version for the commander link as I have already updated it to 2.0.6. Can someone paste a link so I can download an older one? Maybe the H100i needs an older commander link firmware to be able to talk to it first before installing the software. .

you should not need to go an older firmware,in my sig is exactly everything i did to install mine after removing a ''working'' h80.

if yours isnt working it is NOT in the software,while doubtful its the cooler, likely its in how its connected or most likely a running software thats interfering,,,with software unfortunately the possibilities are almost endless

i made a 15 minute video of my h100I using a curve temp so i could show im truthful but stuffed it in my pics of like 20k pics & vids and cant find it but im going to ,may take a month to,:D:

if interested i can post what id do to check things but youll need to modify the registry file

The H100i (plugged into a USB header) works just fine with the LED set to change with CPU Temp changes. So I don't doubt your H100i curve temp setup is working.

The lighting node LEDs on the other hand do not follow. I would have to open Corsair Link software and click a LED channel, modify the LED Mode to Normal or Cycling, then back to Temperature, before the color changes according to the CPU temp at that time, but doesn't change again once the CPU temp changes.

Or... select a different profile that also has the LED Mode to set to Temperature.

This goes the same for the PWM fans.

So the software works for the H100i but not the fans and LEDs. I really don't see how other software can interfere with just the fans and LEDs, but since the H100i is on a different USB header than the Link Commander of course it is all very well possible. And as you have mentioned, the possibilities are almost endless.

Please do post what we can check and modify in the registry. Hopefully I do find something that will help everyone then that would be great.

Archived