Hey was just wondering if this machine has enough power:

i7 3770k Processor with Stock Cooler

Gigabyte 7970 OC

8GB DDR3 Ram

Samsung 840 120GB SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard

Corsair Carbide 500R

The power supply I'm using is a Corsair HX650 v2 80 Plus Gold, is that enough power? From my understanding the system at peak loads won't take more than 550W but would still be great to get everyone else's opinion, especially Corsair's :D.

Please use the PSU finder tool located here. It will give you the best idea of what you need.

http://www.corsair.com/us/learn_n_explore/?psu=yes

The tool recommends a number of PSU's including the HX650 v2 but I'm still not sure since it doesn't ask much. I've used a PSU calculator too and the max power draw it found was 497W or something like that.

Don't plan to overclock at all to be honest but if/when I do plan to do it, I have a K processor ready and I'll buy another PSU and an aftermarket cooler :D. Can anyone from Corsair give me a confirmation too on this, I just like to be extra sure :).

if it was a build i was doing i would go with a 850w single 12volt rail psu. but thats just me as i don't like replacing parts after the build is complete. i use a corsair ax1200w for my 6 core i7 and 2 GTX 580 graphics cards, some say i am wasting money buying such a big psu but it helps me sleep nights. and all the systems i build for friends and family i allways use the corsair 750w psu but none of their builds i anywhere near what mine is.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry I have read through this a few times and I am not sure what I could add that would help. I mean peanutz94 has stated almost word for word what I would say.:cool: But if there is something else please let me know.

Thanks for your responses, really appreciate it :D. So I purchased the new rig and it works fine, however when I'm gaming I am getting the famous chirping noise, exactly like this:

The rig doesn't make a sound during internet browsing or light use but every time I give it some load the PSU just goes crazy with the fans, I am trying to put up with it as I'm really not up for RMAing it as I just don't wanna go through the hassle at the moment but it's starting to become very annoying. Is there anything I could do to reduce the sound?

Hey sorry for the late response, completely forgot I had posted this until I started hearing the noises again.

I'm living in the UK at the moment and the unit was received/purchased less than 30 days ago, will Corsair pay for shipping both ways? Also will I need to pack up everything (all cables etc) and will there be anyway to make sure that I don't end up with another unit with the same problem?

EDIT: Just a update, the sound it seems to be making is different from the one in the video I showed you above, I don't know how to describe it really but the noise only occurs when it gets really hot inside my case, if I take off my side panel the noise only stays for a bit before fading away as removing the side panel allows it to cool down enough. I'll upload a video of it on Monday but no matter where I place my camera inside the rig it still picks up the noise at the same level so it's hard to figure out if it is the PSU or something else, I will keep on trying to listen in myself but I'm not 100% sure it's the PSU, it could be the GPU but I don't think GPUs make this kinda sound. I can only describe it like a grass hopper or a loads of small surges of electricity, it makes a sound for 1 second then goes quite for a second then makes the exact same sound again for a second and it just repeats until I close a game off/open my case then it stops.

I'm living in the UK at the moment and the unit was received/purchased less than 30 days ago, will Corsair pay for shipping both ways? Also will I need to pack up everything (all cables etc) and will there be anyway to make sure that I don't end up with another unit with the same problem?
You would need to contact CS by phone and discuss the shipping charges with them. But generally yes,if the product is less than 30 days old.

And also yes, you would need to send all cables back too!

• Corsair Employee
I'll upload a video of it on Monday but no matter where I place my camera inside the rig it still picks up the noise at the same level so it's hard to figure out if it is the PSU or something else, I will keep on trying to listen in myself but I'm not 100% sure it's the PSU, it could be the GPU but I don't think GPUs make this kinda sound.

Just to be sure, use your onboard graphics and remove your video card and see if you can isolate it down to the PSU. If its indeed coming from PSU, then I would suggest that you submit an RMA and get it replaced.

I watched the video and i don't think it's the psu. but here is something too try, does your case have a open vent under the psu? if so turn your psu over as it should be pulling in cool air from under the case, as it sits now it's pulling hot air from the case through it.

most case's with bottom mount psu have a intake vent in the bottom and you should really use it that way.

Turned out to be the GPU, I RMA'd it and am using the PC with a backup graphics card and it works without a sound :). The PSU on the odd occasion makes that birdy sound (maybe a few times a day) for a few seconds but generally it's almost always silent and more than bearable at the moment, so no more issues I guess :).

• Corsair Employee
It is not uncommon for the Fan controller in the PSU to make a clicking/chirping sound as the fan slows down. But if its so loud you can hear it about all the other fan noise please use the link on the left and request an RMKA and we can replace it.

• 2 months later...

Ye it was so loud that I could hear it above the noise of the PC but it wasn't that frequent and I had already had a lot of hassle with RMAing the faulty graphics card but now that's all sorted. I still have the birdy sounds and unfortunately it has gotten a lot worse, sometimes (especially when watching videos) the noise is constant, above the sound of all the fans and even my speakers at times so I think I wanna go ahead with the replacement.

I have some questions though;

1. I live in the UK, how long will the whole replacement process take, from sending out the PSU to receiving a replacement one? I ask this because I am going on holiday next month and am thinking whether it would be better to do the RMA before I go or after I return.

2. For advanced replacements and pre-paid shipping both ways, are there any special conditions required with it? If so what are they?

3. Is the replacement PSU going to be used? Considering the one I bought was brand new and faulty to start with, but I know you like to make sure the PSU's don't make the noise so I guess the replacements are used tested ones?

4. What is the order of the RMA process? Do I make the RMA request first and then call up customer services (using the Skype number) to ask for things such as the pre-paid shipping or do I call up customer services first? Also what timezone are the customer services on the Skype number in and what are their opening hours?

Thanks for your time.

Archived