Corsair Community

AX860i & AX1200i Owners; Noise?

VasVas

I understand your pain.. I keep my PSU fan profile at 40% (minimum active speed)all the time now, so I don't get the annoying clicking sound every 10 seconds :(

Sadly, when I reboot the computer the PSU profile comes back to "silent" all the time, I have to set it back to 40% every time I boot my computer -- annoying.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand your pain.. I keep my PSU fan profile at 40% (minimum active speed)all the time now, so I don't get the annoying clicking sound every 10 seconds :(

Sadly, when I reboot the computer the PSU profile comes back to "silent" all the time, I have to set it back to 40% every time I boot my computer -- annoying.

If you record your profile, and make corsair link to start with windows, the fan should remain in fixed mode...

Aren't you having bsod's with corsair link 2.2.0??

Luckily, I didn't have any BSOD so far..

Recording the change with Link 2 and have it to stat up didn't work for me. Every time I boot the computer Link is messed up until I reboot. Strangely when I reboot, Link remembers the changes and works fine.

Edit: It would be nice if someone could help; When the computer is completely off and I boot it, Link does not detect the PSU fan and temp at all but when I reboot after that, it works fine??

Finally solved my clicking issue with my AX860i simply by replacing it with an AX860.

No more noise!! :D:

If I had done my research properly before purchasing the AX860i, I would have known that it's manufactured by :ar: Flextronics.

The AX860 is manufactured by :praise: Seasonic which is way better than Flextronics.

I hope this helps; if you want a great Corsair PSU, buy the AX860. Especially if you are coming from an AX850 which in my opinion is the best PSU corsair ever made together with the AX860.

http://s13.postimage.org/v0t68e35j/photo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for the bad translation of google, I have a ax850W affected by noise, and this is what comes to my own, which are small tweaks, occur in idle, as it is oversized (i5 760/hd5770) works very little, then the fan only runs while playing, and after many hours in idle warn that noise, I would not do the rma, there are programs that I can keep the fan on all the time?

Soon it will work with hd7870 and cpu overclocked with Xigmatek Aegir that cools , to use this big power supply.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone with a AX860 hearing a clicking noise when the computer shuts down??:confused:

Yep, happens to my new AX860 as well and during power up. Guessing its normal though it does make a random click noise now and then which I wondered were in the hell was coming from and only thing thats changed in my setup is PSU so I figure it has to be that.

I didn't hear any clicking noise during operation on my AX860, I use to have an annoying high pitched noise coming from the PSU when the computer was off but the noise completely disappeared after nearly a month of use. :bigeyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I made a video of that clicking sound and periodic fan-stutter.

See link below.

The sound is like a dripping faucet and absolutely annoying, it even can be heard in this low quality video made with my mobile.

I definitely hope there will be a firmware-update for this!

I bought this $300 power supply, so i could have a totally passively cooled system (until it reaches very high loads of course).

As it says semi-passive, i never thought i would hear a dripping faucet all the time...

No other PWM-Fans in my system do this when they are not supposed to be spinning.

The video:

http://vidup.de/v/gWWBq

Please... fix this by firmware-update or give us more control in corsair link software or anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey vasvas can you point me to where it says the ax860 is made by seasonic??

according to toms hardware the axi series are made by Flextronics BUT the UL

code on my ax860i is e307858 which is the Seasonic unit!

UL CODE - E307858 = SEASONIC

UL CODE - E315671 = FLEXTRONICS

so Im curious what is the ul code on your unit??? check your codes and post so we can get to the bottom of this?

• 9 months later...

Is there a solution to this clicking problem? Does the firmware solve the problem?

It is definitely a noticeable sound... even reading from across the room I can hear it, and it drives me crazy sometimes.

What is even worse is that the Corsair Link software is not compatible with my Kraken Control Software for my water cooler, so I have to choose one or the other. This means either dealing with this clicking noise and being able to control the speed of my radiator fans, or making the PSU run at 40% lowest-fan speed and not having control over my radiator fans...

So, any solutions? I will try the firmware tomorrow... Corsair Link isn't even hooked in right now, since I didn't think I would need it and the water cooler control is more important. I am not even sure if the update applies to PSUs... Corsair should definitely come out with one that stops the PWM pulses if it doesn't have one already.

Bah! So this is a defect, and not all AX860/1200i's have the click every 5 to 10 seconds??

As in, RMAing it will actually have a chance to solve the problem?

Oh, and one quick question: is there any setting I could turn on or off in the BIOS to make the fan simply spin all the time at it's lowest RPM? I know I can use the Corsair Link software to do this, but as I mentioned it is incompatible with another piece of control software I have so I'd rather not have to have that running.

Thanks for the quick response though!

Bah! So this is a defect, and not all AX860/1200i's have the click every 5 to 10 seconds??

Yes, it is and no they all do not do this. If you wish you can ask them to test the replacement before they send it to you.

h, and one quick question: is there any setting I could turn on or off in the BIOS to make the fan simply spin all the time at it's lowest RPM?

No there is not. And since this is fan controller related and not just the fan, the clicking would continue even if you turned them down.

so Im curious what is the ul code on your unit??? check your codes and post so we can get to the bottom of this?

false

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/cgifind.new/LISEXT/1FRAME/srchres.html

It currently shows as a corsair file but your post was a while ago maybe its updated

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/cgifind.new/LISEXT/1FRAME/srchres.html

Yeah, Corsair doesn't necessarily build the units themselves but they farm it out to other companies who build it to the spec Corsair provides. I think this is pretty common. The fact that they have third party follow up such as UL etc probably means there is a pretty good chance that the units are using the parts etc that corsair specs but this won't necessarily detect any flaws in the basic construction.

As in, RMAing it will actually have a chance to solve the problem?

Oh, and one quick question: is there any setting I could turn on or off in the BIOS to make the fan simply spin all the time at it's lowest RPM? I know I can use the Corsair Link software to do this, but as I mentioned it is incompatible with another piece of control software I have so I'd rather not have to have that running.

Thanks for the quick response though!

FYI I have an AX1200i and it does NOT click or whine ever.

• 11 months later...
Thank you so much for this thread. I've read it all and decided to go for Seasonic Platinum 860 instead of Corsair AX860i. According to some reviews across the internet, Seasonic Platinum 860 does not have this problem with pitching noise (or at least much much less units are affected).

• Corsair Employee

Actually. You have that backwards. The Seasonic Platinum 860W, which is the exactly same as he Corsair AX860 Platinum, will occasionally have coil whine. In fact, it happens on more occasions than the AXi.

But thanks for the one year old thread bump just the same. ;):

Actually. You have that backwards. The Seasonic Platinum 860W, which is the exactly same as he Corsair AX860 Platinum, will occasionally have coil whine. In fact, it happens on more occasions than the AXi.

But thanks for the one year old thread bump just the same. ;):

Why backwards? The Internet is full of comments about AX860i coil whine pitching sound. On the other hand, on Amazon only one user out of ~60 complained about that for Seasonic Platinum 860.

Indeed, I do know that AX860 is made by Seasonic. But this raises a concern - if AX860, one of the best Corsair PSU's, is made by Seasonic itself, why should I look at it, and not add some extra bucks for more polished Platinum version from Seasonic itself?

Archived