Corsair Community

AX860i & AX1200i Owners; Noise?

VasVas

• Corsair Employee
Why backwards? The Internet is full of comments about AX860i coil whine pitching sound. On the other hand, on Amazon only one user out of ~60 complained about that for Seasonic Platinum 860.

I can tell you based on RMA's made to Corsair that the AX comes back for coil while more than the AXi. Especially when the PSU is in standby. This is due to changes made to the +5VSB circuit to make the PSU compliant with the ErP 2013 efficiency requirements.

The AXi has a higher percentage of negative reviews for the same reason a lot of more-expensive products do. There's a higher expectation at that price point, so something like coil whine is often reported. More often than not, if the PSU "works as advertised", it's very unlikely people leave a positive review, or any review at all. How many times have you bought a product that worked as expected and left a positive review? Now, how many times have you received a dead or damaged product and left a negative review?

Indeed, I do know that AX860 is made by Seasonic. But this raises a concern - if AX860, one of the best Corsair PSU's, is made by Seasonic itself, why should I look at it, and not add some extra bucks for more polished Platinum version from Seasonic itself?

How is the non-Corsair branded Seasonic Platinum 860 "more polished"? They are actually the exact same internally.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is the non-Corsair branded Seasonic Platinum 860 "more polished"? They are actually the exact same internally.

I thought AX860 is advertised as 80 Gold. Now I have checked and it looks like both are 80 Platinum. Sorry for that.

Your comments looks valid. What could you recommend then? For slightly OC'd 5930K with 2 x GTX 970?

Archived