Corsair Community

AX1200 Gold Trips with mild Vcore increase.

Illogical

Current OC Specs:

Multiplier: x44

Vcore: 1.250v

DIMM: 9-9-9-27 1T

DRAM Voltage: 1.50v

VCCSA: 0.925v

VCCIO: 0.90v

At the current settings and voltages I'm sitting at 4.4Ghz stable after some prime95 and temp monitoring. What is throwing me off is the Vcore, x44 is running wonderfully at 1.250v (LOW voltage I know, I might have gotten my hands on an older 2600k that's capable of high OCs), the norm for that is around 1.375v.

The question is: Since I'm shooting for 4.6Ghz or maybe a tad higher I'm going to need to feed the Vcore a little more than 1.250v, but when I go any higher on the vcore (even as little as 1.275v) I don't get the usual freeze>bsod dump>hard reset... I've been getting a little click from the PSU and a complete shutdown of all power in my case (minus the residual power in the mobo LED that fades out) for about 3ish seconds and then powers itself back on. I'm positive the click is coming from the PSU, I laid right next to me case with my ear next to the PSU and had a friend start Prime 95. KEEP IN MIND: The machine powers and boots windows with x46 @ 1.350v and idles fine, but the immediate second that Prime95 is started and 100% load is put on the computer it fails as said before.

Could this be a bad PSU or do I have a setting wrong? I honestly don't see 1x AX1200 not being powerful enough to push two 570s, a sandy bridge i7, the RAM, and the mobo. I even gave it a test by removing all lines from the psu and the components, and reconnecting only one 570, 24pin for the mobo, both 8pins for the cpu, and just the SSD for booting purposes and it still powers down at anything above 1.250v

Any input would be great and I'll keep this tab on my browser open to field any additional questions as I see them.

• Corsair Employee
With what you have posted why would you think it is the PSU, are you getting any sort of Voltage warning from the MB BIOS or software provided by the MB maker? And what happens if you just load setup defaults and enable XMP in the MB BIOS does it post properly?

With what you have posted why would you think it is the PSU, are you getting any sort of Voltage warning from the MB BIOS or software provided by the MB maker?

Because the only thing I have changed at all is the core voltage and even going .0015 above stock CPU voltage causes the PSU to click and power down. With 2 GPUs and a "barely" raised cpu voltage teh PSU should't shut down like that. My outlets are is perfect working order, the PSU is plugged into a separate outlet than the rest of my equipment. I've even tried a different mobo and a second i7 2600k over the weekend and it has the same problem. If it were a MB voltage issue it would read an error and default me to the splash screen with a CMOS checksum error with options to load defaults or enter BIOS and make adjustments myself. Since this has occurred, I've lowered the clock to 4.0Ghz @ stock voltage (which is tried and true since it is only 200Mhz over turbo boost for the 2600k) and after about an hour of Prime95 it does the same thing... click, shut off, click on, reboot, no splash message, no post errors.

There are plenty of examples out there of people with a single ax1200 gold running newer ivy bridge i7s with 3x SLI setups without a single issue even with a mild OC. The reason I'm singling it to the PSU is because there are no errors anywhere, and if it was a voltage problem within the bios or mobo, it would cause a memory dump, blue screen, and a minidmp. None of which are happening when the power issue occurs.

what happens if you just load setup defaults and enable XMP in the MB BIOS does it post properly?

It posts properly at all the settings mentioned thus far, it is only at 100% load that it fails, even at 3.8 and 4.0 with stock voltages.

• Corsair Employee
Because the only thing I have changed at all is the core voltage and even going .0015 above stock CPU voltage

I am sorry but it sounds like you are making the assumption that the PSU controls the voltage and that is not the case. The MB controls the voltage and normally it will take the 12 Volt rail and regulates it down to 1.2 Volts for the CPU power.

So either there is an issue with the MB and or the MB BIOS or it more likely the internal Voltage regulation in the CPU is cutting the power even further trying to keep the CPU from damaging it self. I would not suggest going over the voltage the that is specked on the Intel CPU White paper for your CPU

I am sorry but it sounds like you are making the assumption that the PSU controls the voltage and that is not the case. The MB controls the voltage and normally it will take the 12 Volt rail and regulates it down to 1.2 Volts for the CPU power.

So either there is an issue with the MB and or the MB BIOS or it more likely the internal Voltage regulation in the CPU is cutting the power even further trying to keep the CPU from damaging it self. I would not suggest going over the voltage the that is specked on the Intel CPU White paper for your CPU

I also forgot to add that I tested it with the GPUs as well and even increasing fan speed on the cards causes the click from the psu and a shut down/reboot. What I'm getting at is if anything is added to the power draw, it shuts down and reboots. I'm not trying to just make excuses, but even if I have more than 5 or 6 things going through the usb ports drawing power the usb hub will disable. Everything else in the machine has been tested at this point, including the mobo. Spent $300 on a psu just to be spoken to like I'm an idiot on the forums.

it sounds like you are making the assumption that the PSU controls the voltage

No? I said "I" changed the voltage to the cpu, by a hundredth of a volt. The way this MB crashes it will either BSOD or have a checksum error on the post splash screen. I've already spoken to the MB/GPU manufacturer (since they have 24/7 tech support and this happened on the weekend) and they informed me that it didn't look like a MB issue and to swap PSUs and if that wasn't the cause they would gladly RMA the MB even though they aren't convinced it's the problem.

Ram guy is just saying it doesn't sound like a psu issue. It could be, but your not being treated like an idiot. You didn't mention the increase in fanspeed on gpu or USB accessories caused the problem before. I'd see if you could try a friends psu. To me it sounds like a motherboard issue. Can you control the gpu fan speed at all. Try lowering it and see if u get the same problem. If you lower it and the problem still happens I'd say its not the psu. Could be the motherboard doesn't like manually controlling stuff. I dunno worth a shot. I'd def try another psu first though. Be a shame to waste time and shipping cost to corsair for the psu to be fine. I had a foxconn bloodrage motherboard that had some weird issue where if u changed the multiplier at all it would do exactly the same thing. I knew it was the board tho cuz I'd have to clear cmos just to get the board to boot again.

Ram guy is just saying it doesn't sound like a psu issue. It could be, but your not being treated like an idiot. You didn't mention the increase in fanspeed on gpu or USB accessories caused the problem before. I'd see if you could try a friends psu. To me it sounds like a motherboard issue. Can you control the gpu fan speed at all. Try lowering it and see if u get the same problem. If you lower it and the problem still happens I'd say its not the psu. Could be the motherboard doesn't like manually controlling stuff. I dunno worth a shot. I'd def try another psu first though. Be a shame to waste time and shipping cost to corsair for the psu to be fine. I had a foxconn bloodrage motherboard that had some weird issue where if u changed the multiplier at all it would do exactly the same thing. I knew it was the board tho cuz I'd have to clear cmos just to get the board to boot again.

It only does it when I change something that requires more power, when the fan speeds or vcore are at stock it runs normal but on occasion it will still fail during Prime95 even with vcore defaulted. The only reason I'm looking at the PSU is because CPU-Z and ELEET both show the voltages as I set them in BIOS as what is running when the computer boots into windows, so the voltages are set it fails ONLY when under heavy load with no freeze or bsod, which are supposed to happen when voltages and multipliers don't match. If I had the multiplier too high or the wrong voltage for the frequency I'm trying to achieve it would throw one of three things, hard freeze, BSOD, or checksum error at post splash. None of those things are happening, it clicks, shuts down, and reboots right back to windows with no errors, signs of a power failure.

• Corsair Employee

Illogical

I was not implying anything only that what you had posted was suggesting some other issue.. Now that being said if you want to get an RMA and pay the shipping for your PSU to us then by all means please use the link on the left and we would be happy to replace it..

However, if you can barrow a friends PSU or test your PSU on another system that may save you some money and time. But that is your choice.

Illogical

I was not implying anything only that what you had posted was suggesting some other issue.. Now that being said if you want to get an RMA and pay the shipping for your PSU to us then by all means please use the link on the left and we would be happy to replace it..

However, if you can barrow a friends PSU or test your PSU on another system that may save you some money and time. But that is your choice.

The only other power supply I have access to is an older corsair 850W, I'm not too positive that it will be enough to power for what I have let alone have the correct cables for the board, pci-e cards, and sata drives. I'll take a look tomorrow but I highly doubt that this extra psu will be compatible.

Called MB manufacturer today, they said my issue doesn't sound like mb without the post splash checksum or memory dump but to be sure try another psu. The 850 I can use is older, I don't think it's a tx or an hx (it's 4 or 5 years old). I've been out all day so I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens granted there are enough cables since this one isn't modular.

Archived