Corsair Community

SP2200 Crackling

genious 7

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hm, I think I am mistaken here. Did Customer Service send you a SP2200 as a replacement, or did you get it exchanged from a vendor?

Well i got delivered via UPS this afternoon , what looks like a new SP2200 set , i didnt go through the vendor , i sent it to the Netherlands as per the RMA which cost me £46.

• Corsair Employee
Well i got delivered via UPS this afternoon , what looks like a new SP2200 set , i didnt go through the vendor , i sent it to the Netherlands as per the RMA which cost me £46.

Lustral, contact our customer service and they can assist you. I wasn't aware we were still shipping SP2200's as it is an obsolete product. You also won't have to pay for shipping anymore.

Lustral, contact our customer service and they can assist you. I wasn't aware we were still shipping SP2200's as it is an obsolete product. You also won't have to pay for shipping anymore.

How do I contact customer services ?

Thanks for your help

What is your case number?

I dont think i got one when i submitted the ticket, plus they havent emailed me back yet, but they said they can take upto 24 hours.

Thanks

Update :- just got an email from customer services and they say they will be picking up the defective set and sending me out another one. RMA #1282575. I best be packing up them up in the box and i hope the replacement set will be faultless.

Wow, just got on here to see if anyone else was having this crackling problem, and find this thread right at the top of the list. I got these sp2200s back in July so I'm well outside the window to return to vendor. I've had a high pitched whine since I got them that didn't bother me much but was pretty noticeable, and now this crackling problem just started about 3 days ago and is extremely annoying. I've checked all the cables, replugged, etc....nothing makes it go away.

Is it true these are now obsolete? What will i get when I RMA them? I can't stand this crackling anymore

• Corsair Employee
Wow, just got on here to see if anyone else was having this crackling problem, and find this thread right at the top of the list. I got these sp2200s back in July so I'm well outside the window to return to vendor. I've had a high pitched whine since I got them that didn't bother me much but was pretty noticeable, and now this crackling problem just started about 3 days ago and is extremely annoying. I've checked all the cables, replugged, etc....nothing makes it go away.

Is it true these are now obsolete? What will i get when I RMA them? I can't stand this crackling anymore

Fill out the RMA with the link to the left and let me know your case number.

I dont think i got one when i submitted the ticket, plus they havent emailed me back yet, but they said they can take upto 24 hours.

Thanks

Update :- just got an email from customer services and they say they will be picking up the defective set and sending me out another one. RMA #1282575. I best be packing up them up in the box and i hope the replacement set will be faultless.

Is there any way of find out a tracking reference for when they are collecting the faulty set and the delivery of the replacement one ?

So that i can be in to receive the delivery and pass over the defective set.

Thanks in advance

Is there any way of find out a tracking reference for when they are collecting the faulty set and the delivery of the replacement one ?

So that i can be in to receive the delivery and pass over the defective set.

Thanks in advance

Ok got delivered another set , and all seems to be well with them so far , no annoying high pitch whinning from the right speaker, and all sounds crystal clear.

Still awaiting for them to collect the faulty one. Im assuming that will be done shortly.

• Corsair Employee
Ok got delivered another set , and all seems to be well with them so far , no annoying high pitch whinning from the right speaker, and all sounds crystal clear.

Still awaiting for them to collect the faulty one. Im assuming that will be done shortly.

If a call tag was setup, the courier should be contacting you shortly. If you hear nothing, confirm with customer service that one was set up for you so they can follow up.

• 1 month later...

After having these speakers for just under a year I started hitting this left speaker crackling issue. This is the second pair of of SP2200's I have had as the original pair had the hissing power supply issue and were RMA'd.

I am appalled by this, I could let the power supply issue slide as a hit or miss manufacturing fault but when a product is not fit for purpose and breaks for many in the same way it is customary to issue a recall. It is my view that this product line has been discontinued as damage control and that you have abandoned an unsuspecting customer base with a faulty product, hoping to negate global bad publicity as those affected might be in a minority.

I work in software development and regularly help friends build PC's, while I will never bash your RAM. I will emphatically warn my colleagues against any other hardware you create, alone I oversee 5+ builds a year but I offer advice for many more and I am not an isolated victim here. The crackling and popping of my left speaker is now the potent manifestation of you idly watching your existing customer base burn.

Even if I wanted you to refund me and you did you have not repaired your reputation. The next thing I buy might have a defect that half of all customers get and a plot may already be in motion to discontinue it! So when it breaks and I spend my time RMA'ing my way to an upgrade I reach an ephiphany. What if the company had just recalled the defective product so I could trust that the next purchase I make from them will at least not waste my unpaid time and hard earned money. Even if it is rushed to release and doesn't fully work; I wont suffer the postage costs more than once.

TL;DR

SP2200's don't last, Corsair still seem to rule the under £300 marketplace, buy the SP2500's as a replacement because you wont find anything markably better.

My Quest for better:

Firstly my second pair of SP2200 lived a year and a month so the warranty might still exist but I hate the idea of waiting for sound. I have spent 5 days (I didn't scan here for a fix immediately after hitting the issue) trying to find speakers superior to the SP2500 or ones from a brand with a good reputation. I learnt about tweeters, hifi's, monitors vs active speakers. I found good products unavailable in the UK and I scouted your competitors in the market reading what summates to thousands of reviews. I pulled in my speaker competent friends with home theatres and I did it on every night even christmas night trying to find a nice system.

In short I found that your competition is all inferior in quality. Buying an amplifier and some decent monitor speakers so I could swap out any failing parts individually would cost a minimum of 400pounds. I also learnt that Amplifiers come in two shades of ugly and can only be hidden well outside of a living room. I do not want power I never raised the volume knob on my SP2200 above the half way line. All I want is durability and consistency, that is why I bought speakers from you in the first place!

I cannot afford a budget over 200 pounds so the quest for good quality speakers and hunt for a quite possibly imaginary amplifier that is plug and play has a maximum of 8 buttons and 3 dials with a useful dettatchable volume control for a desk is over. Frankly I didn't expect the market place to be so full of garbage tailored to films/games/music separately. I had never even heard of an Audiophile before I started my search, I still consider the term to have derogatory connotations.

Anyway I wanted to write this to warn any potential other outraged customers that as of the 26/12/2012 Corsair despite the problems of the SP2200 is still the only choice for the quality concious PC user. Infact after doing a fairly comprehensive scoping of the market I almost feel the need to apologise to you because I have scoped out other products with similar issues also discontinued rather than recalled. I guess I was just living in an audio based bubble, SP2500's.... ordered! The only real competition was ProMedia and Logitech. I hope they live longer than 2 years, I kind of expect a good speaker set to do me proud for at least 5 but thats just me. I havent seen complaints of crackling (which come up high on a google search for SP2200) for the SP2500 but I have seen complaints of hissing power like I had with the SP2200's I am terrified of having to go through that again when I get a new set.

Sorry to hijack your thread!

• 5 months later...

Contact customer service via phone and tell them the replacement left speaker for the SP2200 is crackling again. They should be able to help you.

You can contact customer service on Skype by calling their toll-free number.

Contact customer service via phone and tell them the replacement left speaker for the SP2200 is crackling again. They should be able to help you.

You can contact customer service on Skype by calling their toll-free number.

What is their number or where can i find it , thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I now have this crackling issue with my SP2200 speakers. It's a crackling in the left hand speaker. If I use the headphone socket on the right hand speaker, I get crackling in the left headphone speaker. If I plug the headphones directly into a computer socket, there's no crackling, so it seems as though the speakers are at fault, as per other posts in this thread.

As I bought these in October 2011, I believe that they are still covered by the 2 year warranty, and I'm going to raise a RMA request. One thing I'd like to know: will these speakers be replaced with a set of the same model? From some of the posts here, this seems less than satisfactory, because the replacement speakers develop the same fault.

Thanks.

Edit: On trying to register for the customer support system, I have had the following message on all of my attempts:

Error:

System returned error: System.DmlException: Upsert failed. First exception on row 0; first error: INACTIVE_OWNER_OR_USER, operation performed with inactive user: []

I don't understand the first part, but as for the second, then of course I'm an inactive user, as this is the first time I've had to use the system. Any ideas how I get round this?

• Corsair Employee
Hi,

I now have this crackling issue with my SP2200 speakers. It's a crackling in the left hand speaker. If I use the headphone socket on the right hand speaker, I get crackling in the left headphone speaker. If I plug the headphones directly into a computer socket, there's no crackling, so it seems as though the speakers are at fault, as per other posts in this thread.

As I bought these in October 2011, I believe that they are still covered by the 2 year warranty, and I'm going to raise a RMA request. One thing I'd like to know: will these speakers be replaced with a set of the same model? From some of the posts here, this seems less than satisfactory, because the replacement speakers develop the same fault.

Thanks.

Edit: On trying to register for the customer support system, I have had the following message on all of my attempts:

Error:

System returned error: System.DmlException: Upsert failed. First exception on row 0; first error: INACTIVE_OWNER_OR_USER, operation performed with inactive user: []

I don't understand the first part, but as for the second, then of course I'm an inactive user, as this is the first time I've had to use the system. Any ideas how I get round this?

Account creation should be up again.

I do have another question.

The RMA has come back, and I've been invited to send the speakers back to an address in Holland at my expense. This will cost me around £40 or so. I'm a bit reluctant to do this given some of the posts on here, where the replacement speakers develop the same fault soon after they arrive. Do you know if my speakers will be replaced by another set of SP2200s, or with another similar and more reliable model ?

Thanks.

Archived