Corsair Community

Project Bright Panel: Corsair 800D, Liquid Cooled, Illuminated Mid Panel

Oooo. Nice sleaving. Yes, I remember cutting my 800D. Scary. I'm in a 600T now, watercooled as usual. Have moved to a x79 with a 3930k at 5GHZ and 2 680's :)

Nice hardware. :D:

I got a hold of a 6 core i7 970 last year for a great price, and will probably stick with it for a while. Still haven't seen a new CPU that really makes a compelling case for me to upgrade yet (especially for gaming), so I'm gonna wait til the X79 successor surfaces in a year or two.

Definitely wouldn't mind the 680s, but again, I need to wait for a bigger bump to justify doing it. Its just too much work to continuously update a system like this (only real downside to liquid cooling), with the custom cable lengths and water blocks. I wish GPU blocks were standardized somehow to work across multiple product upgrades. It would make upgrading a lot easier.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea I agree. I could imagine a kinda sandwich block that had a polymer based innards that water could go through. Hmmm. Maybe we should develop such a block.

Let's do it! :D:

Pretty sure there isn't much incentive for Waterblock manufacturers to do something like that, as it wouldn't allow them to sell a new block every time a GPU line is updated. Nature of the beast I guess.

New Hardware Sponsor – Corsair

I am very pleased (and grateful) to announce that Corsair has decided to help me out this with build by supplying me with an AX1200 PSU, Sleeved Black Cables, and a Corsair Link Temp Control & Lighting Kit. I was surprised when I got the news of a sponsorship from Corsair, but will gladly use their great products in this build. Thanks Corsair!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7226/6980259340_8be1607b49_c.jpg

New Components

Here are some beauty shots of the AX1200 that just arrived. I was previously rocking a 1000w Silverstone PSU, but was getting close to the top end of its range (hitting 970-980w) when benchmarking with everything OC’d. The extra 200w will come in very handy, especially if I ever go Tri-SLI. The pouch the PSU came in was a soft suede material. The overall packaging was of high quality, and of course the PSU itself looks great in the 800D.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7076/7126345645_3c7baffc64_c.jpg

Here is the full Corsair Link Kit that includes the Temp Monitor / Fan Control, and the LED lighting component. I’m not sure if I will be able to use the LED strip this go around, as I have already installed one in this build. But I like the fact that is so customizable using the Corsair Software, and since its an RGB LED strip, the colors can change based on usage (gaming mode), or vary based on system temps. I am going to run the Link and the Aquero 5 to see which one better suites my needs with this specific build.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/7126345805_f058912219_c.jpg

Larger Image

On the right is a Set of Black Sleeved cables for the AX1200 from Corsair. I had already decided to sleeve my own cables this go around, but will be using the “guts” from these for my custom cut lengths.

Corsair Sleeved Cables Mini-Review, and More Sleeving…

I have to admit, these sleeved cable packages made by Corsair for their PSUs are a great value proposition. If someone just wants one specific color of sleeved cables, these are a great deal, especially when you factor in the cost of sleeving materials, and the time involved to sleeve and entire set of cables yourself. The connectors are also of high quality (although different layout than standard PSU connectors, more on that later), and the sleeving material is a tad thinner than the MDPC variants, possibly making things a bit easier when trying to manage your cable clutter. Overall for may individuals, these cable kits are a great buy.

But… not everyone will want these types of kits. I can see three main reasons why these would not be for everyone.

1. Perfectionists will notice that the heat shrink tubing is not even lengths across the connectors. For those going for looks / beauty, that could be a turn off.
  2. Custom Cable Lengths can make cable management a lot easier. I for one have decided to go that route for this build, but in all fairness I did still use these cables, simply cutting them to my preferred length, re-crimping one side of the cables, and resleeving with MDPC sleeve.
  3. Custom Color selections. Right now these kits seem only to be available in solid colors. Many sleevers like to use multiple colors in their strands. I am using 2 colors in this build (black & blue), hence the need for me to resleeve these cables once I had cut them down as stated above.

So for some, these sleeved kits by Corsair are great time savers and can fit a specific need (single color) very well. For others of a more DYI nature (or OCD / Perfectionists), they will be better off making their own sleeved cables. To the left below is a close-up of a few of the connections from the kit.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8141/7126345917_17246af325_c.jpg

Larger Image

Above right is a picture comparing the connector for an 8-pin CPU Power connection. This is the side that plugs directly into the PSU. This was not a problem, but something I just found to be interesting. The AX1200 has a different connector layout compared to a standard 8-pin CPU connection, as can be seen in the above diagram comparing the two. I had already completed an 8-pin sleeved set before the PSU arrived, only to find out it wouldn’t plug in. Luckily with the MDPC Pin remover, I was able to switch out to the one that comes with the AX1200 in just a few minutes. All is well.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7236/6980262874_ac26e120aa_c.jpg

Larger Image

And here is my completed 24pin Cable/Connector. The AX1200 has the 24pin cable split into two connectors where it plugs into the PSU. The pic on the left is one of those two connectors. Not perfect compared to sets from the “Pros” that I have seen, but it is getting easier each time, and my results are improving bit by bit. Even with it getting easier (and faster)… I have found that sleeving still takes a LONG time if done correctly.

Is there a reason your switching from Feser one Liquid? Did it clot up the waterblocks?

Yep. Its wasn't that bad yet, but there was a blue buildup of "Gunk" in my CPU block. Luckily it was pretty easy to flush out. The gunk is gone, but it dyed parts of the interior of the waterblock blue.

So sticking with colored tubing, and distilled water with PT Nuke and a Silver Kill Coil this go around.

I need to talk to you. I am thinking about building a shadow box just like your light panel. This never ends. I'll PM you some pix of my build once my new side panel from MNPC shows up. It's going to be epic. Also gettting some custom sleaving from MDPC too. We must be related.

I need to talk to you. I am thinking about building a shadow box just like your light panel. This never ends. I'll PM you some pix of my build once my new side panel from MNPC shows up. It's going to be epic. Also gettting some custom sleaving from MDPC too. We must be related.

Sounds good. Looking forward to see what you have planned. :D:

Sleeving... COMPLETED!

MNPCTECH finally has their MOD Ruler / Gauge back in stock, and mine came in this week. Pretty sweet little modding tool, but I won't have a chance to use it this time around since I am wrapping up the build. But since I can't seem to go more than 6 months without modding / upgrading something, it will get plenty of future use.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8018/7003264186_d900c289ee_c.jpg

Larger Image

All major sleeving is now complete. All I have left on the build is to connect all my fans an pumps to the AquaComputer / Corsair Link, and finish my tubing runs.

I know for sure that I will be using a two (2) AquaComputer USB PowerAdjusts to control my pumps, since they operate independently from other monitoring component. I will be testing the Aquero 5 and Corsair Link separately to see which will end up in my system long term to control my fans.

I still have to secure some of the cable runs to the back of the case with my cable clamps from MDPC, but here is a basic shot of all the major cables connected. Also in the pic is the SATA Power cable that I connected to the Hot Swap plate. It was very easy to sleeve, but a pain to get the actual wire to go in the connector. Ended up using a hammer to "tap" the two parts of the connector together.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5272/7149355999_dbe8148067_c.jpg

Larger Image

Almost done... :D:

I pretty much have everything set up now to start playing with both the AquaComputer Aquero5 and the Corsair Link. Just finished making my cables for, and sleeving the Poweradjust USB 2 pump controllers. I will be using them independently from the other control/monitoring units. From what I have seen from other users online, both the Aquaero5 and Link have a lot of capabilities. It just going to come down to which fits my needs the best.

Along with the Poweradjust USB 2, here is a shot of the 5mm Blue LEDs I just wired and sleeved, and a preview of how they will look inside the res. No liquid yet.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7178918868_65ea0bf855_c.jpg

Larger Image

Once I decide on which control unit to stick with, I can finish the cable management up no the back of the case. Even with using MDPC sleeving on all of my cables, there are still A LOT of cables to deal with. I don't know if it will look as clean & tidy as I originally envisioned it, but already it is a huge improvement over the spaghetti wire mess that used to abide back there.

I pretty much have everything set up now to start playing with both the AquaComputer Aquero5 and the Corsair Link.

Mr. A,

Have you done a side-by-side comparision of both these units? Does either product have some unique capabilities? Have you compared the cost of a "full build-out?" I looked at the Aquero 5 a while back and honestly, I was confused about what I needed, or didn't need, for a purely internally mounted control unit.

I like the idea of a USB-connected control unit, because in theory you can measure temps and then adjust the fan speeds as needed. Much better than spinning some dials (my opinion, of course :D: ) and the internally mounted unit preserves the clean lines of the 800D.

x509

Mr. A,

Have you done a side-by-side comparision of both these units? Does either product have some unique capabilities? Have you compared the cost of a "full build-out?" I looked at the Aquero 5 a while back and honestly, I was confused about what I needed, or didn't need, for a purely internally mounted control unit.

x509

I am getting ready to do that type of comparison. Both units are USB controlled and can therefore access system temps from the motherbaord, along with added thermal sensors that can be placed anywhere in the case. Both units seem to work great for fan control, but the Aquaero has the added bonus of controlling pumps as well. The downside with AquaComputer stuff is that most of the documentation is in German, aside from a single "English" forum they have set up for questions.

I will be putting both units through their paces this week to try and determine which will work the best for this specific build.

I am getting ready to do that type of comparison. Both units are USB controlled and can therefore access system temps from the motherbaord, along with added thermal sensors that can be placed anywhere in the case. Both units seem to work great for fan control, but the Aquaero has the added bonus of controlling pumps as well. The downside with AquaComputer stuff is that most of the documentation is in German, aside from a single "English" forum they have set up for questions.

I will be putting both units through their paces this week to try and determine which will work the best for this specific build.

Thank you. As usual, you are blazing the trail for the rest of us. :D:

Have you compared prices?

Here is an early design of what I am shooting for, built in Google SketchUp.

Mr. A.

I'm about to rebuild the system in my 700D with a water-cooled "Photoshop killer" system, and I thought I should also use Google Sketchup. Can you give me a few pointers on how to get started, etc.

I went to the Sketchup website, and that part of Google is being bought (sold?) to a different company.

The website keeps talking about 3D designs. Did you do anything in 3D so you could check fan clearances, etc?

In advance, thanks. :biggrin:

Mr. A.

I'm about to rebuild the system in my 700D with a water-cooled "Photoshop killer" system, and I thought I should also use Google Sketchup. Can you give me a few pointers on how to get started, etc.

I went to the Sketchup website, and that part of Google is being bought (sold?) to a different company.

The website keeps talking about 3D designs. Did you do anything in 3D so you could check fan clearances, etc?

In advance, thanks. :biggrin:

Google selling SketchUp to another company is news to me. They do offer a "Pro" version that you can purchase, but for my needs, the free one works just fine. Go here to download the progam.

You will also want to utilize the 3D Warehouse, as it has some really good 3D models already built that are free to use.

I also provided a few of 3D models that I personally made for this build to help me decide how I was going to lay things out. There are also a few 800D models to choose from, but I had to modify one a bit because the measurements were a tad off.

As far as getting started, check out some of these tutorial videos to get you on the right path. The best way to learn this program, it to jump right in and start creating simple objects, and gradually working you way up to more complicated models / designs.

Archived