Rob AC

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1999581210_12-4.jpg.17cecb9b47e305f02fd32a5b4e77a12c.jpg

1548336843_12-1.jpg.175123b38707d122e1afc9dd45ea13c2.jpg

Longcats.thumb.JPG.4b95106375b834e5161af22c661dbfc7.JPG

I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I am that it's not a fully mechanical keyboard. Very limiting in the key cap fun.

Also, Do I get anything special for receiving a board with media buttons that aren't right? There's no stop button, just 2 <<'s.

I've just ordered a k90.

I like the idea of creating custom key labels for the macro buttons, but as I understand it these aren't mechanical MX keys, so the transparent keycaps available for MX keys won't fit.

Has anyone found a source for replacement keycaps, or another way of labelling the G keys?

Nice find.

Did you ever get those installed?

I am thinking the next revamp of the K90 or variant needs switchable red / green / yellow etc. LEDs. heh.

Now you got me thinking of doing some extensive surgery to replace some of the blue LEDs to add those clear Key caps... imagine the colour combos!

(my wife is going to have me committed pretty soon. <<<--- This should be my new sig.) :cool:

@cftw:

Nice Cat keys! ... and if were you I would return that K90 and get another one with a proper stop button.

@colin_e

That is correct- the Macro keys are not MX mechanical keys.

I am not sure what type they are to tell the truth. I am also looking for replacements but no luck so far.

I notice that the softer (40A) dampeners are now offered in two thicknesses (0.2 or 0.4 mm). Anyone got any feedback on the difference between the two?

Interesting about the 0.2 or 0.4mm thickness difference... not sure what the thickness difference is between the other various durometers- for instance 60A vs 90A etc.

I would think the thinner 0.2 mm thickness would be a bit less "squishier" and cause the key press downward stroke to bottom out a bit harder and faster. Kinda like returning to that "clacking" sound that was heard originally on the unmodified K60/K90s. (This is just a guess on my part.)

I bought a K60 on release day in december and immediately bought the red o-rings from wasdkeyboards.

An important note: some keys require two o-rings depending on what kind of feel you're looking for. especially the red sculpted keys of the K60 may require 2 or even 3 on some of them since the shafts are deeper. also the shift's seemed to need a bit more too.

also, i turned the space bar backwards and the sculpted "1" key sideways to it slopes upward.

I'm not actually sure that I like the feel of the o-rings, sometimes it can feel too mushy and ruin the light and airy feeling of the cherry red switches. sometimes feels like the keys are sticky and not so smooth going down, especially if the ring is not sitting entirely flat at the bottom causing an inconsistent feel. I had to redo many keys to make it feel right. also some o-rings just were not made equally so I had to swap some around. I use tweezers to get the o-rings down all the way.

Edit: I still don't like the feel of the space bar, it feels like it's too hard to press and it wobbles a lot even without o-rings. makes my thumb ache from pushing in an awkward position, but it could be the K60's less than ideal palm rest. I'm getting a K90 today so hopefully this will solve my issue. (turning the space bar upside down helped a lot though)

I must admit that after initially thinking that I must get some O-rings because I didn't like the overly 'clacky' feel, I have now become used to it. The cherry reds certainly take a good few weeks to become accustomed to. I would advise anyone who's thinking of getting the O-rings to spend a bit of time with the K90/60 before buying.

• 2 months later...

After one hour of work I finally fitted all the dampeners.

Feeling is very good, keyboard is silent, the 0.4 mm shortened travel feels very good; the 40A hardness is perfect.

Everything perfect?

No, the keys lost a little of light in the lower part of the letters...

Just one question: I put an OR even on the stabilizers of long keys, is that right?

• 2 weeks later...
After one hour of work I finally fitted all the dampeners.

Feeling is very good, keyboard is silent, the 0.4 mm shortened travel feels very good; the 40A hardness is perfect.

Everything perfect?

No, the keys lost a little of light in the lower part of the letters...

Just one question: I put an OR even on the stabilizers of long keys, is that right?

The o-rings on the stabilizers is not needed. This would just interfere with the full key travel.

Glad you are enjoying the "silence." The biggest improvement for me when I did this.

If you found a sheet of thin but very firm padding, you could try punching out your own in the style of those from EliteKeyboards. Just need scissors and a good hole punch in the right size.

You'd have to find a good quality material that would not deteriorate over time - wouldn't want little bits of it gumming up the keys...

EliteKeyboards don't ship in Russia. Bad luck :sigh!:

upd: Still I need that dampeners, so I ordered them in wasdkeyboards.com. 5 minutes later my credit card became blocked! My bank where afraid of fraud. LOL! Buying thing is soooo fun :laughing:

I'll tell you how it will end.

I would contact them for the specifics, but I imagine you should take your Cherry switch color in account when deciding. However, I'd think that Cherry Reds could probably use any of the three varieties because they have the least key-press resistance of all. They also are not a 2-stage key-press like Browns and Blues (which are Tactile, not Linear). See this page for some more detail and the video at the bottom showing dampeners in action:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Archived