Corsair Community

msi k8n neo platinum (754 Socket)

unpro

• Corsair Employee
SimonS You do not have the same issue, in your case you are trying to mix memory and with this MB I am sorry it may not work! Most of the MB's on the market may not even post if the modules are not exactly matched. And the fact that you had these both working on another system would suggest it's not a memory problem, but rather a configuration issue! Sorry! joelcorley First thing, I am sorry we do not sell direct and have no way to process that type of transaction, please ask your reseller if you want to change to another part#! We would be happy to replace any module that is not running at what it supposed too under our RMA policy, but only for the same part that you send in sorry! If you would like for us to replace your modules, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A common problem with this mobo: The mobo shuts down or cycles at random intervals. This is caused by the use of a PS2 keyboard. Switching to a USB keyboard solves the problem. The problem arises only with some motherboards but if you have that problem, it is tough to fix. Unlikely that it's caused by memory...but just my 2 cents!

[quote name='RAM GUY'] gtkp10 and myjet, I have tested several lot's of our value select and have not found any problems thus far, so I would have too assume that the few users having trouble either just have a bad module or some other problem that has not been identified, and if you are having problems I would suggest we try and replace your modules and go from there if you still have problems, or as you have done test with another system![/QUOTE] Could you give me the full BIOS settings under which you've tested? I have the same problem (I guess) as described here (same mobo/RAM combo), and now I'd like to be sure if the frequent windows shutdowns are indeed caused by RAM or by my power supply or anything else. Also, you understand we have bought PC3200 memory and would like it to run at PC3200 speeds instead of PC2700 speeds, even if it would run more stable at those speeds. The settings in the BIOS - as you've tested them - that I'm most interested in finding out about are: [Agressive timing] [High Performance Mode] And also of course the timing settings and if this is 1T/2T or Auto timing. [Edit] I've switched the 1T/2T to Auto, I don't really know what they do (as my BIOS provides no explanation for this function) but I figure Auto switches to the best working option? Also, I've run memtest (albeit not for long (I ran for 25mins so far)) and I only get 2 errors in test 5, should this rather be 0 errors or is there an error tolerance? I'll try to keep memtest running for a little while. [edit2] Been running it for 10.5 hours now, got 18 errors on test 5, 0 on the other tests One other thing about the memtest86+: in the display it says I'm using a 2010Mhz AMD Sempron, while there's in effect an Athlon 64 plugged in, is this normal? Sorry for all my ignorance ;) Thanks in advance. Kind regards, A.K.

• Corsair Employee
Zembla, Please either start a new thread and list you complete system specs and our modules part# you have installed and I will be happy to give you more detailed settings, but I have posted this many times! In addition, the settings can be found by following the link in my signature and looking up your part#! Some MB's do not use the same definitions for the settings and some times you need to translate them. This is done by matching the TRCD, TRP, or TRAS settings given in [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=8048]XMS Qualification and Testing[/URL] for the specific module you have!

[quote name='RAM GUY']joelcorley First thing, I am sorry we do not sell direct and have no way to process that type of transaction, please ask your reseller if you want to change to another part#! We would be happy to replace any module that is not running at what it supposed too under our RMA policy, but only for the same part that you send in sorry! If you would like for us to replace your modules, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it![/QUOTE] Thanks RamGuy. First, let me tell you that if I change the memory speed to 166Mhz (DDR2700), I can change the memory timings to CAS2 and this stick performs flawlessly. In fact, now that I've locked my memory bus at 166Mhz, I can now seriously overclock my CPU. I'm currently running my AMD64 3000+ at 2300Mhz and it's rock solid. (I believe someone else here posted a similar experience.) I purchased this memory on 08/17/04 from ZipZoomFly. ZipZoomFly has a 15-day return policy for memory and they count the week it takes to ship. Unfortunately, I was laid up from surgery the following week and couldn't be bothered to mess with my new system. I applied to ZipZoomFly for an RMA. Despite the delay they agreed, but were unclear on the terms. After several exchanges, they clarified that they would do a refund or replacement at my option; but... If I require a refund they would keep 20% of my purchase price as a "restocking" fee. (I don't know where the 20% comes from, since their only posted restocking fee applies to non-defective returns and the number is 15%.) A friend of mine bought the exact same m/b, memory and CPU combination from ZipZoomFly a week after I did. He has had the exact same problem. For this reason an exchange from the lot in ZipZoomFly's inventory is unacceptable since I'm skeptical that the replacement part would work any better. A partial refund of the purchase price of memory that doesn't work as rated is also unacceptable. I'm presuming that if Corsair replaces this memory it will at least come from another production lot. My other option is to return the memory to ZipZoomFly and dispute the charge on my credit card. For the moment, I assume I'll ignore the ZipZoomFly RMA and request an RMA through Corsair. - Joel

[quote name='RAM GUY']Zembla, Please either start a new thread and list you complete system specs and our modules part# you have installed and I will be happy to give you more detailed settings, but I have posted this many times! In addition, the settings can be found by following the link in my signature and looking up your part#! Some MB's do not use the same definitions for the settings and some times you need to translate them. This is done by matching the TRCD, TRP, or TRAS settings given in [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=8048]XMS Qualification and Testing[/URL] for the specific module you have![/QUOTE] Well, I've got the EXACT same motherboard and EXACT same RAM, so I figured a whole new thread dedicated to the exact same problem would be some sort of a waste of space. The other things I asked really weren't RAM-related, well, all but the question what the normal error return is in Memtest86+, is it normal to have [b]some[/b] errors? BTW: Lot # = 0432041-0 (VS512MB400) <Z>

[quote name='Zembla']Well, I've got the EXACT same motherboard and EXACT same RAM, so I figured a whole new thread dedicated to the exact same problem would be some sort of a waste of space. The other things I asked really weren't RAM-related, well, all but the question what the normal error return is in Memtest86+, is it normal to have [b]some[/b] errors? BTW: Lot # = 0432041-0 (VS512MB400) <Z>[/QUOTE] Zembla, Thanks for posting your lot#. Mine is Lot #0431067-0. Given that my lot an yours are significantly different, I have to believe this is a design/compatability/QA problem with Corsair for this brand of memory. That pretty much cinches it for me. I don't see why I should be wasting my money shipping this memory across the country just to get another, probably defective stick. I'm going to think about it a little further today; but I may just go through the hassle of fighting ZipZoomFly for the refund. I don't know yet; but we'll see... In the mean time, I still haven't heard back from Corsair for an RMA; but then I just sent in the request late yesterday... I have one more question. Who did you purchase this memory from? All I really want to know is, Was it ZipZoomFly? (Lot numbers don't have to be sequential and could include a date code or something... But that doesn't appear to be the case.) - Joel

• Corsair Employee
LOL! Well that’s fine, but you two have to understand a few things, you know what you have but I DO NOT! And for me too help you that information I really need to know! So please take the time and create a signature and make a list of what’s in your systems! That would help me a great deal with helping you find a solution! For now is this what you have in your system? 1. MSI K8N Neo Platinum Socket 754 2. 2-VS512MB400 3. AMD 64 3000+ 4. NVIDIA NV6800 Video If so please test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and just load setup or optimized defaults and then exit saving changes and test with [url]www.memtest.org[/url]. In addition, if both modules pass they should be installed in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and you should set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well as you should have the latest bios! That being said that fact that you both are having the same problem or symptoms might suggest there is some setting or a configuration that is not correct. Also testing the memory in another system would help isolate the problem and may help you figure out where to focus your attention!

Hey Ramguy, i have a question for you. i might get a msi k8n neo platinum socket 754 with a 64 3200+. i have 1 gig of twinx cmx 3200xlpro that is version 1.1 that is still in the package. will there be a problem with this memory and motherboard combo? i see that most are having trouble with the value select memory and i was wondering if it is carrying over to the xlpro series. thanks before hand Peter

I have the same problems, my setup is, AMD64 3400+ Newcastle, 2x512 Corsair 3200XL and the K8N Neo Platinum. I bought the memory and motherboard as a COMBO package from Zipzoomfly. When i put the memory in slots 1 and 2 it only runs at 200mhz and is VERY unstable. When i put the memory in slots 2 and 3, it will run at 166mhz(without changing settings, very odd) pretty stable. Now I remeber mixing it up using 1 module or changing modules order in the slots and somehow in one combination it went up to 333mhz with out changing any bios settings just had them on auto, but it was very unstable, which was very odd, I've tryed to recreate it and it doesn't happen anymore. All i want is to run these at rated 400mhz with stabablity. I've tryed my old corsair memory and i get unstabability... Sorry, if this is all confusing, but basicly I'm saying that I can only get it to run at 166mhz, at 200 or up there is too many errors and reboots. Also when I run memtest my processor shows up as a sempron... If any solutions arse please post!

• Corsair Employee
I would test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and lets make sure one is not failing. If they both pass then you should install them in slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and I would set the Rass to Cass TRCD to "3" as well and see if that is more stable!

@ Joel: I have bought my stick from a local shop, [url]www.forcom.be[/url] is their website (I'm from Belgium). Well, what puzzles me most is there are people who succesfully run their VS512MB400's at 400Mhz without flaws on a K8N Neo Platinum board. I haven't checked what Forcom has to say about a possible faulty RAM stick though yet, and when I do check, I want to know all I have to know (such as, in case it is indeed a compatibility issue : which new RAM to buy, or where to upgrade to.) @Ram Guy Thanks for the response, I'll modify my signature straight away. In the meanwhile I can respond to your questions: My system is composed of: [list] [*]MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard [*]1x VS512MB400 [*]Athlon 64 3000+ [*]ATi Radeon 9800 Pro [/list] I have my RAM in slot nr1. The voltage is set to 2.7V, I've put the CAS timings to : 2.5-3-3-8. The 1T/2T option is put to AUTO, I have run memtest86+ for approximately 10.75h and I had 18 errors, all on test 5. My motherboard is flashed to the latest BIOS version. Testing the memory in another system might be difficult at the moment, I could try though. <Z>

• Corsair Employee
I would say let's try replacing your module. Please see if the reseller will let you get that module replaced. If they will not or cannot help you then please submit the RMA request directly. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Guess i'll add my problems to this thread aswell I'm running a msi k8n neo platoinum mb, with the corsair value sticks (400mhz). I recently replaced my 2 sticks because of errors i found im memtest, and hoped that would fix my problems with them not working as a pair on the mb, but they still don't. One stick in slot 1 works fine, it runs at 400mhz. 2 sticks doesn't work, no matter which slots i put them in, and i've tried resetting the bios every time i switch slots. I've also tried setting the memory timings in the bios prior to changing the slots, and still no luck. Both sticks have been tested in slot 1, and there are no errors at all on them, they just refuse to work as a pair. Grateful for any help ;). Some of my setup; AMD Athlon64 3000+ radeon 9800pro 2x Corsair value 512mb 400mhz (NOT xms).

Ok, I've went to the shop, they gave me a new RAM stick without any hassle, testing it with memtest now, and after 1 pass still no error at test 5 (the only test that failed me). Normally with the other stick I'd get 2-250000 errors, depending on what slot I put it in. I'm curious to see if my RAM will prove error free (mmm, that rhymes :confused: ) <Z>

[quote name='RAM GUY']I would RMA the CPU from what you have posted boone![/QUOTE] The CPU? The Athlon 64? I am just curious as to why the CPU might be the problem. I am having much the same trouble with the exact same processor with an MSK K8N NEO FSR. I get errors in slot 1 in MEMTEST but when I try moving my memory to slots 2 and 3, my computer wont even start up (it beeps and thats it).

• 4 months later...
this is one club i wish i didnt' have to join into but i too have a k8n neo platinum motherboard 3400 amd athlon 64 with the vs512mb400 memory and i was getting bluescreens till i switched memory chips with a friend that had something like valueram. now that chip works and the one i got was giving me random bluescreens at any time. could run for a minute could run for four hours. but i know its something with the ram either the settings or a bad chip. any suggestions?

ofcsilencer, I applied for an RMA through both Corsair and ZipZoomFly, where I purchased my stick of memory. Both companies quickly agreed to the RMA based on the results of MemTest86. I ended up sending the memory back to ZipZoomFly, who replaced it; but rather than waiting for the round-trip shipping, I ordered a stick of Mushkin Blue Line ( [url]http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-212&depa=1[/url] ) to replace it. Fortunately a good friend of mine had also recently bought a stick of Corsair ValueRam for another machine and was willing to take mine off of me for the going price at ZipZoomFly, so while I was inconvinenced, I didn't actually loose out on anything except for time. My experience is only a sample of one; but that same friend that bought my stick of memory also bought the same motherboard and memory configuration about a week after I purchased mine. (He seems to buy a new box every year and has 5 machines in his house - one for the wife, 2 for the kids and 1 as an entertainment system.) He had the exact same problem. He was fortunate however. He had another machine with a stick of Mushkin Blue Line in it and after swapping memory between the systems, he found they were both stable and would pass memory tests. Based on my experience and my friend's, I suspect this particular line of Corsair memory has timing problems with this motherboard and/or CPU. They may have fixed it since I purchased mine; but I know I'll probably shy away from at least the low-end Corsair memory in future purchases. - Joel

Hello Guys , same problem here.This is my system : AMD 64 3000+,MSI K8N NEO FSR,1 STICK CORSAIR VS512MB400,ATI 9800 PRO,PSU 420W.The system is not overclocked , all settings are set to defaults and memory timings to SPD ,2T to AUTO. In the first and second slot , I get memtest errors (tested with 2.7 volts). In the third slot works fine(no memtest errorsand default voltage). I've tested the Value Select into an ASUS P4C800 with memtest (test 5) for 8 hours with NO errors. I've also tested a stick of CORSAIR XMS512MB 3500 C2 (SPD settings) in my MSI motherboard and works fine .(tested tin memtest for 8 hours with NO errors). RAM GUY (AND EVERYBODY) I NEED YOUR OPINION ON THIS .IS IT MEMORY COMPATIBILITY ISSUE ? !!!

Archived