Corsair Community

Question regarding AX1200 and PG readings

NGD

In regards to this thread http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=100807&highlight=ax1200

I tested a brand new AX1200 last night using a Coolmax PS-228 PSU tester. The voltages look good on the unit but the P.G. was giving a high reading (above the 1000ms threshold of the tester).

I'm aware this isn't the most accurate way to test, but of the other PSU's I've tested it was pretty accurate in conjunction with my voltmeter. Just wondering if this is any cause for concern prior to setting up a new x79 system.

Here's a pic of the actual reading on the tester.

http://i52.tinypic.com/30utp1v.jpg

I've also tested the PSU with a 120mm fan plugged in to provide a small load, with the same results.

• Corsair Employee
It would be hard to test accurately with this type of tester but I would put a few old spinning HHD's on the test along with the fan as it should have at least 1 amp of load and test it again. But if the MB powers up I would not be concerned.

• 3 weeks later...

Good advice. Somewhere along the lines of "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".

So far the AX1200 has been powering this system like a champ, but I have gotten reports of some abnormalities, but I have a suspicion it's the Asus software and not the actual PSU itself. Here they are for reference but tbh I'm not worried about them.

[01/05/2012 at 12:54 pm] +5V 0.200 Abnormal

[01/05/2012 at 12:54 pm] +5V 5.000 Normal

[01/05/2012 at 02:06 pm] Vcore 0.000 Abnormal

[01/05/2012 at 02:06 pm] Vcore 1.320 Normal

[01/06/2012 at 01:41 pm] +12V 0.768 Abnormal

[01/06/2012 at 01:42 pm] +12V 12.096 Normal

[01/06/2012 at 07:40 pm] +5V 10.200 Abnormal

[01/06/2012 at 07:40 pm] +5V 5.000 Normal

Yes, your PC profile states an Intel board, but you're using ASUS software? Is that software for use with a video card? That software might be able to read other PC attributes, but I would only trust it on an ASUS mother board. If you are using more that one monitoring program at a time, that will cause bad data to be seen in some programs, usually those that come with mother boards.

The PG reading of 1000ms, if accurate, is out of spec. That really does not matter on a cold boot or restart, but could matter on a wake from Sleep. The apparent "slow" PG good signal has become more common on high-end PSs for some reason, given what I have seen. Some boards seem to not care, others do, so who knows if it really matters.

The software provided by ASUS is called AI suite II (2). It's not for video cards. This is solely for their line of motherboards in which the software is coded to read temps/voltages for. I prefer CPUID Hardware monitor Pro but to each his own, right? Most programs used for this sort of thing sometimes give false readings, especially when at extreme overclocks.

EDIT: Just noticed that. I wouldn't be using asus software for non-asus motherboards. hardware monitor would be a better choice as it's coded to work with various vendors.

I've had several Asus boards running the supposedly correct AI Suite version give ridiculus voltage readings before. Frequently this is caused by the board manufacturers switching to an alternate sensor or new sensor lot when the board was assembled. Until they're verified with a meter, I don't trust them.

• 1 month later...

Ah, I see the point of confusion for you guys. My sincere apologies for unintentionally misleading you.

When I originally set up the account I did so with specs from my old system. I was in the middle of putting/testing a system using a Asus-P9x79Pro motherboard. All of the readings were coming from that board and not the Intel one. I've updated my specs so they are up to date.

I still have on occasion the AI suite software reporting wild fluctuations. With the exception of these "alerts", I've had zero issues with this computer to date. I mainly ignore them or use another utility to verify It wakes from sleep just fine every time, boots cold without issue and has been a snappy, reliable system. Overall I'm quite pleased with my choice to go with Corsair parts.

I think Garvin is right on the money. Unless I verify it with a meter I'm not going to worry about it.

Still kind of wish I would have gotten a Carbide 500r though. :winking:

I use AI Suite on my P67 board, and any time that it is running, even in the background, if I start another monitoring program, AI Suite gets bad data and the alerts start appearing. Nothing can be done about it, except use it alone, or in the Settings option, disable monitoring. That allows you to use its other features while running a different monitoring program, without any alerts and crazy readings in AI Suite.

Archived