Corsair Community

xms 3200 512 mb c2 pro won't post in my a7n8x v2 mobo

dayglow76

Ok here goes new module-cmx512-3200c2 pro 512 400 mhz cl2-xms3200 xms3202v2.1 0428031-0 -one stick of replacing geil value ram 512 400 mhz - one stick of Power supply was unplugged by the way. I push the power button drives spin led's flash all the way to red and then beeps (not the really fast beep by the way) And when I replace it with the geil ram it posts no problem. Heres what I've got asus nforce 2 a7n8x 2.0 acpi bios rev 1006 athlon 2500+ barton core Thermaltake xaser 3 500 watt PS 80 gig WD 120 gig WD emprex dvd-r/cd-r With the geil installed I'm running at 180 fsb with geil set at 2.5 -3-3-6 voltage1.675 Can't think of anything else that might be important but let me know if there is. Bought this saturday can't get it to post for anything tried every slot and everything I can think of to fix it to no avail. The guys in general prod have been great help but assure me ram guy is the man. Please help!! Thanks a million!

Yup, I can think of something you forgot to mention. The fact that you have a friend with the same Mobo as you, except his is revision 2, and yours is revision 1, and your Corsair modules will POST in that rig. You have tried upping the voltage to 2.75v, and (I presume) have tried to BOOT the modules with them set to SPD. Ohh DG, forgot to ask - EXACTLY what are the beeps like?, this may help. And one more thing DG, have you actually tested your Corsair module with memtest on your friends rig? - like I said in your other thread, your mobo may just be picky like mine - that module may be just "not so good", but just good enough to post on the other rig

ok my rig is version 2 and my freinds is version one, It will post in his rig and he's running 2 256 corsair platnium with the same processor etc. I have upped the voltage and set it to spd.The beeps are slow maybe one to two seconds apart not the fast repeating beep. Thanks again

Oh I didn't see that!! haha No memory test was done but he booted to xp and fiddled around a bit.And this guys got pretty darn savvy and I trust his opinion and he had full trust that the stick is in good working order. On the same token I think you might be right It seems like It might be picky because no matter what I try the results are the exact same every time with no change in it's behavior so It just may not want to take it. Any suggestions on what I should get instead should this one not work out?

Lets not get ahead of ourselves - give RAM GUY a chance to have some input, he is the man when it comes to Corsair - geez, he might as well change his name to RAM GUY by deed poll! He may, depending on what he wants you to do, allow you to RMA them to Corsair (or you can RMA them to where you bought it from) If I am correct, you have a module that is highly regarded, your module is actually a v1.1 module (the same as mine), just that Corsair made a boo boo in the printing proces of some of thier labels (the CMS 3202 is supposed to be 3200) - they have the Winbond BH-6 chips, (please correct me if i am wrong RAM GUY), and are regarded as good overclocking memory (v1.2 has different IC's CH-6?, not sure there, but there are no v2.1, v3.1 modules around. There, a bit of totally useless information at this stage, but still nice to know!! Don't give up just yet! I cant for any reason think why a mobo would absolutely refuse to run a respected brand such as Corsair, so dont assume at this stage that Corsair ram is no good for your board

hmmm, had a bit of a look over there, I didnt stay long, but I couldnt find anyone with quite the same problem as you, if you could link to it (if it is even allowed to link to other forums here!, I dont know on that!) and im interested to look. But you have to remember too, that the idea of these forums is for support - come here for help - and there is lots of people needing that on many different levels for many different reasons, and with the massive variations in rig configurations, and sheer volume of this stuff being sold, you will come across plenty of issues, ranging from hardware and software configurations, hardware compatibility (nasty word in IT!), and performance for dollar, is what brings people to these places. Example, Corsair's claim is that they sell over 250,000 modules a month, 499,900 left the factory perfect, imagine all the oportunites in distribution for hardware to be damaged, either physically, statically, or magnetically, (wow, sounded good!) :biggrin: then take into account the end user variables (configuration, mixing brands, quality variations(generic stuff))then how many people arnt really sure what they are doing (like I was) and not quite setting up right (absorbing the picture im painting yet?) Now can you imagine, across the board, how many opportunites there are for people to have "problems"? Mind blowing really, the scariest moment of my life was when I hit the power button on my rig for the first time after building it, was expecting something to be wrong! Anyway, im gonna shut up now - lol, im dribbling, (verbally, that is! :D: ) have had a couplea drinks! :eek:

Yeah good point there, with one day off a week the thought of returning it for another stick only to have the same issue is frustrating even to think about.On the other hand I really want this work!!hahaha Oh yeah and one more thing, I tried booting it with my 512 giel and It posted!! But It wouldn't let me get past the bios,ha! Oh well It was worth a shot. Someone suggested a "non asus bios" IE a "hacked" bios but I don't think I'll do that. Anyhoo,still dreaming of 200fsb. DG

Ahh, this could point to something - in your previous thread I asked you had you tried going back to the GEIL memory since trying the Corsair, unfortunately, I think I was a little vague in that question, as I meant does the rig run fine with the GEIL reinstalled. Your reply was that it POSTS no problem with the GEIL, but not getting past the POST could begin to shed some light. In my thinking, that if it was fine to bigin with, with the GEIL, then you replaced that with the Corsair, and got nothing, but on returning to the GEIL, there is still issues - it definately, im sure, points to either a settings issue, or a MOBO issue, so ive gotta ask this, did you ground yourself before touching anything?, I know it is common knowledge, but still easily overlooked in the keenness of doing something, i'll be honest and put my hand up and admit I have forgotten once or twice Thanks Wired, for mentioning you will tell RAM GUY about this thread, Im lost as to why he hsant reponded. But I can imagine hes a very busy man - ive seen just how much his post count can rise in 24 hours!

Okay, please try and be clear in what you say, what is interpreted on your end, can be different to how another person might interpret. Out of curiousity, which slot did you have which stick in when you tried that? - geez that sounds wierd reading it back to myself!

The geil is slot one and the xms is in slot 2.The geil stays in slot one but will post in any of the slots.Having the geil is slot one and the xms in 2 was the only combination that produced any results,good or bad.I did try the corsair in all three by the way.

• Corsair Employee
First thing, I am sorry that your post was over looked! However, this should really be posted in Compatibility Questions! Second thing, If I understand your posts correctly; The module or modules in question CMX512-3200 will run another system with out problems but in your system it will not post even if you reset the bios! is that about right? If that is correct, please run aida32 with the module in your friends system and see what is set in the SPD! I suspect the SPD is either not programmed or programmed incorrectly and if the timings are set manually with your friends system it will post! If that is indeed the case then I would suggest we go ahead and get that module replaced! If that is not correct, please try and remove the power from the system and then the battery and clear the bios, then with just our module see if the system will post! In addition, you would not be able to mix memory or modules that are not exactly matched!

Ok heres the deal,my freind doesn't live close enough for be to be able to do that on his rig.Also I have tried evrey combination using only the corsair(I just tried it with the other one for fun) and I have removed the battery and reset the bios with the module in every slot to no avail. So what do you think?ThANKS-dG

[quote name='RAM GUY']First thing, I am sorry that your post was over looked! However, this should really be posted in Compatibility Questions![/QUOTE] Doh! Should've noticed that :) Moved to correct forum.

Archived