Corsair Community

AX850 Voltage Issue?

rrcottingham

I was hoping for some advice. I am doing a new build with a Corsair AX850 and a EVGA X79 FTW. It is all behind a nice APC UPS. I just can't get it stable. It always freezes or reboots within say 1-30 minutes.

After testing and swapping several components (e.g. video card, memory, drives, many reinstalls), I am starting to wonder about the power supply. I noticed quite a bit of varyation in the voltage within the BIOS. So I fired up CPUID Hardware Montor as it remembers the min and max voltage. I have seen 0.2V varyation (max - min) so far that I have noticed. I was under the impression (perhaps wrong) that the 12V rail should not vary more than say 0.05V. Could anyone help me understand what variation is expected and what it really means?

You are allowed 5% variance. So 11.4 to 12.6v will be within spec. And that 5% is applied to 3.3 and 5v rails as well. Your voltages seem fine. However you can't trust the BIOS or software to be correct when it comes to PSU voltages. Any chance you can test it with a multimeter?

Have you tried to run your computer with out the UPS??

This seems more like a MB issue to me. You both have the same MB;s and same exact problem. Have either of you guys been over to the EVGA forums and asked around there?

I realize you both have the same PSU too, but what you guys have posted for voltages and the near zero amount of fluctuation, it has to be another problem.Your talking just a hair over 1/10th of a volt. and that is nothing!

I have seen 0.2V varyation (max - min) so far that I have noticed

Same here, not enough of a fluctuation to be concerned about or enough to cause instability. If you saw over a whole volt drop, then i would go ahead and hang the PSU!

Archived