Corsair Community

Corsair 3200c2: CMX512 or Twin512?

Renecop

Hi RamGuy, i really, really need some help here. i can't afford the price of twin 1024 3200c2 right know, buy i will in somewhere in the next two monts. I ordered a MSI K8 Neo Platinum this morning and this is my question: Can i buy now 1 dimm of CMX 512 3200c2 NOW, and buy another CMX 512 3200C2 LATER to achieve my goal of 1024? Or i MUST *mandatory* buy NOW the twin one? My other option is buy The twin512 3200C2 (2*256) to develop a better performance than the cmx512, but maybe i'm wrong. By the way, the CPU is an Athlon 64 3000+ from newegg. Thanks RamGuy!!! (RamGuy, please, please answer me!!!!)

TwinX512 (2x256) will run a little bit better than 512 because of running it in dual channel. Yes, you can buy one CMX 512 3200C2 now and another later, however because they aren't pre-tested for dual channel mode at their normal timings, there's no guarantee that you will be able to run them at their single mode timings when paired up and using them in dual channel mode.

[quote name='Wired']TwinX512 (2x256) will run a little bit better than 512 because of running it in dual channel. Yes, you can buy one CMX 512 3200C2 now and another later, however because they aren't pre-tested for dual channel mode at their normal timings, there's no guarantee that you will be able to run them at their single mode timings when paired up and using them in dual channel mode.[/QUOTE] [URL=http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo_Platinum&class=mb]MSI LINK[/URL] The spex indicate that this MOBO is a single channel MOBO so the dual channel is not an option. Therefore, the fewer DIMMs you have the less latency you will introduce into the system. From what I have seen and tested in single channel MOBOs, your best would be a single 1024mb stick of PC3200C2. That will get you your gig of RAM with 1 stick. Mike.

Archived