Corsair Community

Weird Memory Issue

KingPinOnly

Hi,

Recently I was having some issues with system stability and tested the video card and disks - all of these passed and then i turned to the ram. I ran memtest 86 on each of the sticks individually using base BIOS settings and came up with 1 stick that failed consistently.

After reading through some forums I set my bios to allow 1.65V to the Ram and use 2T and forced to 1333. After doing that I tested the previously defective chip by itself and it passed all tests and then again in the group and it passed.

Am I doing something wrong? What am I to expect from system performance having set these myself? Is this good / bad / no matter?

Thanks,

King

Thanks Ram GUY....I've done just that and aside from a little bit of a performance hit on encoding I am running really stable. Memtest86 passes all modeuls on all tests....I just can't believe that I missed the fact my CPU didn't support the ram I purchased (i'm really not that big of a newb).

I'm currently set to 1333 @ 1.65 --

Thanks again for the help.

• Corsair Employee
You can play with the timings to see if you can get a bit more out of the system; for example if you purchased DDR1600C9 modules you can try and run them at DDR1333 at Cas 8-8-8-24 2t C/R but I would test this with wqww.memtest.org to be sure it is stable so you don't corrupt the HDD.

Thanks - I think I will leave them just the way they are for now - Its not a noticeable difference for anyone other than me who is a little OCD with the performance of my pc. I wish I had paid more attention to the device pairings and supported things...

Thanks again for the help.

I wish I had paid more attention to the device pairings and supported things...

It's no so much an incompatibility issue as much as it is an ability for your CPU to overclock memory. 1600mhz RAM and higher speeds all appear on compatibility lists for different MB. However when it comes to the CPU, most right now only "officially " support 1333/1066mhz RAM except for AMD's new chip that supports 1866mhz right out of the box!. But with a little overclocking memory frequencies can be pushed to 1600mmhz and beyond.

Intel has their X.M.P. technology that overclocks the memory. Most if not all of the first and second generation I series CPU's should be able to achieve 1600mhz pretty easy.

Archived