Corsair Community

CML16GX3M4A1600C9 same thing as CML16GX3M4A1600C9B?

TriNitro

Hey!

I put together a computer for my friend a few days ago. Its 2600K on a Asus P8P67 WS Revolution B3 with the 4 sticks of 4gb corsair memory (CML16GX3M4A1600C9).

He have been having some random BSOD's though so my first thought go to the memory. I made the mistake of not reading up properly on the QVL for the motherboard but according to your memory configurator the kit CML16GX3M4A1600C9B is suitable for that motherboard. Reading up some more though I cant find any differences between CML16GX3M4A1600C9 and CML16GX3M4A1600C9B except the later being blue ofc.

Will start testing with memtest tomorrow to see if there is anything wrong but just wanted to confirm that they are infact the same thing, exept the color.

\TriNitro

Please post the results of your testing and investigations. I have a P8P67 Deluxe and the same memory and have a lot of BSODs - mainly on closing browsers. Study of the Minidump files does not indicate the underlying problem. Most of my BSODs are with Memory_Management cited. That can mean anything unfortunately - hardware or software.

I've tried loads of things but the BSODs continue.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

I got my friend to run memtest86 during the night and it went 4 whole passes without any errors with all 4 sticks in place so I guess that rules out the ram as an issue for my friend atleast?

We havent tested with just one/two sticks of memory but that seems redundant when all 4 passes right? We also made sure to turn off legacy usb before to avoid any false positives that I read can be caused by that.

• Corsair Employee

These parts are exactly the same memory internally and just because they are not on the QVL list does not mean they are not compatible, only that the respective MB manufacturer has not tested that specific part number.

I would suggest testing the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and when you load one go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and enable XMP then disable legacy USB and run http://www.memtest.org on the modules one at a time, to be sure one is not failing.

• 3 weeks later...

The RAM tests at www.memtest.org are not updated as often as www.memtest86.com. You'll want to use the memtest86 version. Click on "Free Download." The latest 4.0a version which can be booted from either a CD or floppy is now optimized to be multi-threaded. This allows a 4 core CPU such as an i7 to run the tests much faster. Also, the 4.0a version has been improved so it can test more RAM than 4 GB's. Do not use the 4.0b version. It has not been as thoroughly tested and is meant for servers.

Finally, Windows 7 itself now has a built-in RAM tester. It even has options to increase the thoroughness of testing and the number of passes. The instructions on how to manually run the Microsoft RAM tester can be found here. You can also run the Microsoft Windows 7 RAM tester before you enter Windows 7 by pressing F8 while booting up and then pressing {ESC} or F8 again. I can't quite remember which (try {ESC} first).

Archived