Corsair Community

Force 3 and Force GT Firmware 1.3.2 Update

Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard -

Hi, I attempted an update on the Force GT 12GB drive. All seemed to go well, I got the check mark after completion. I rescanned the drive, and it didn't show the new version. I'm using vic file 22757 for my drive. I even disconnected power and SATA from the drive for 20 minutes and rescanned. I'm in AHCI mode, the drive is my primary boot drive. The executable itself is sitting on another mechanical drive, both drives are using the onboard SATA controllers from the intel chipset.

Any ideas?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just updated...so far everything is going good. I have two different ATTO attachments. Performance from back in August and then an ATTO scan from today. I had to put the SSD in another system to update FW. I did NOT do a CMOS reset afterwards, I did NOT do a secure erase. Still running the same install. Gonna do a backup. Then see what happens down the road. As you can see from ATTO benchmarks, my SSD gets pretty darn good performance on an AMD system. I had the drive go out on me yesterday with the mysterious disappearing of OS drive after freezing, then BSOD. So..decided to update FW.

Performance10.9_2011.thumb.jpg.43d0a4bf8079466a47ae2ddd7a9b54a2.jpg

thinkitsworking8_28_11.jpg.9170a65c6c51c096e5f042731d58b92f.jpg

I'm having the same exact "drive disappears from windows, BSOD" issue as everyone else.

ntoskrnl.exe, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, 0x1E.

I flashed to 1.3.2 yesterday and did a secure erase and install of Windows (Not doing that again, Corsair...)

1.3.2 does NOT resolve the issue, I had another BSOD overnight. Again.

I'm disabling TRIM and enabling LPM for the time being to see if that cures the instabilities. I'm outside of my return period with my local retailer for this SSD. If a BSOD happens again, I'd like to request a refund and not an RMA, since an RMA will not cure this issue.

I have a 770TA-UD3 motherboard, with Marvell 9128 sata3 ports, and I've got a new Corsair Force 3 120GB, but I'll be able to try it in my PC only tomorrow.

Will this SSD work with my Marvell controller? Which Firmware do I have to use? The 1.3.2 wont work with the Marvell chip?!

I have a 770TA-UD3 motherboard, with Marvell 9128 sata3 ports, and I've got a new Corsair Force 3 120GB, but I'll be able to try it in my PC only tomorrow.

Will this SSD work with my Marvell controller? Which Firmware do I have to use? The 1.3.2 wont work with the Marvell chip?!

??? There's no issue between any firmware and Marvell.

Today i was unable to boot into windows with a series of errors freezes etc on the sata 3 port 91xx controller evga sr2 with the latest 1701 firmware which made me revert back to the sata 2 port again, 1.3.2 still needs work hopefully atleast there is no bsoding as well

I installed the Force3 (120GB, Fw1.3) to my PC, give it a fresh Windows7x64. I turned off C1E, cause it slowed down the SSD, and now this is my ATTO result:

http://prohardver.hu/dl/upc/2011-10/38560_es_on_gbyte_drivers.thumb.jpg

What do you think? Could it perform better in a different mainbord?

I installed the Force3 (120GB, Fw1.3) to my PC, give it a fresh Windows7x64. I turned off C1E, cause it slowed down the SSD, and now this is my ATTO result:

snip

What do you think? Could it perform better in a different mainbord?

Of course it could perform better on another mainboard, those results aren't nearly up to specs of the drive. The Intel native 6Gb/s ports can achieve those speeds, whereas AMD chipsets and Marvell controller are having difficulty keeping up - like you're experiencing.

Also, C1E isn't the throughput-hogging culprit, the deeper C-states are (C3-C6 etc.) - at least on Intel boards. Are you sure you got it right? Because C1E is quite nice and you definitely want it enabled if you care about your electrical bill (again, on Intel boards).

Of course it could perform better on another mainboard, those results aren't nearly up to specs of the drive. The Intel native 6Gb/s ports can achieve those speeds, whereas AMD chipsets and Marvell controller are having difficulty keeping up - like you're experiencing.

Also, C1E isn't the throughput-hogging culprit, the deeper C-states are (C3-C6 etc.) - at least on Intel boards. Are you sure you got it right? Because C1E is quite nice and you definitely want it enabled if you care about your electrical bill (again, on Intel boards).

Yes, I know! CnQ is still enabled, but if I turn on C1E the SSD slows down like this, even if it is not the system disk:

http://prohardver.hu/dl/upc/2011-10/38560_atto_f3_sata3_es_on.png

Wierd..

Yes, I know! CnQ is still enabled, but if I turn on C1E the SSD slows down like this, even if it is not the system disk:

http://prohardver.hu/dl/upc/2011-10/38560_atto_f3_sata3_es_on.png

Wierd..

That ATTO run was taken when it was the system disk though, correct?

Oki, thanks for the info. I was talking from my own experience with Intel only. Tough luck on your speeds.

Finaly ugraded my force 3 240GB from 1.2 to 1.3.2. I waited for a long time because i only had issues once or twice a month. But last week I had a major freeze with 1.2 that resulted in unbootable windows and major data corruption in several important programs and user data.

Because i had to start from scratch i decided to update the firmware to 1.3.2 as well and also secure erased the drives.

Experience with 1.3.2 so far is that i have much more freezes and problems then I had before.

Please don't start asking if i followed all the rules needed for upgrading firmware and tuning windows because I' m sure that I did all that is needed and what made my 1.2 more stable then 1.3.2 seems to be now.

If the return procedure and the work afterwards wasn't such a hassle I think I would have replaced the drives by now for a type without a sandforce controller. I'm not sure how much more I can take until I decide to trow these drives away and buy me some stable onces.

Ive just updated my 60Gb force 3, installing it on an Intel controller in my desktop system, following the proceedure. Update was sucessful and was to 1.3.2 Putting it back into my laptop it is now unusable, boots into windows and blue screens within a minute each time. Scanned drive for errors, none found. Looks like it will have to be RMA'd In meantime Im back to being a big fan of mechanical hard drives. Slower but gee much more reliable.

I updated my Force 3 because it would not wake from sleep without blue screening. The old mechanical drive gives me no such problem.

Hello,

I followed all the instructions, but when I click update firmware nothing seems to happen. I see the drive with a red X on it, but it never changes. I can hit rescan and it says the firmware never changed. I am on windows 7 x64, is there and incompatibility?

I'm outside of my return period with my local retailer for this SSD. If a BSOD happens again, I'd like to request a refund and not an RMA, since an RMA will not cure this issue.

I already tried that and the Corsair Customer service told me to pound sand! If you can't fix your product in a timely basis because of defects then you offer a refund! Doesn't matter if the cause is from Sandforce or not. That is between you and them! I've lost ALL confidence in Corsair as a company and I currently own 3 of their power supplys not to mention numerous memory modules over the years. I will be looking elsewhere in the future after this fiasco! BTW I'm highly disappointed with the hostile support from Corsair in this forum! I'm sure my post will be deleted shortly because Corsair doesn't want you to hear the truth.

Archived