Corsair Community

H100 Thermal paste

KittyFungus

My IX arrived yesterday, but I was busy installing some new Noiseblocker case fans and my 2nd 570 not to mention working late. I'll install the IX hopefully tonight or tomorrow night, and I'll post the results when I do.

Hoping it's as awesome as I hope :cool:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got the 140mm Black-Silent Pro fans to replace the stock case fans in the 800D. Forgot to buy a 120mm fan for the bottom drive cage, I'll order that next time I suppose. Really satisfied so far, they move a good amount of air. Of course, even if they were louder I doubt I could hear them over the stock H100 fans and the 2 Delta fans I have as push lol.

No, you cant hear them at all over the rest of the system. At least I can't hear them over my two GTX480s at idle fan speeds.

I am assuming you got the high speed PK3 versions (~90CFM)? That's what I replaced my rear and bottom 140mm fans with.

Also the HDD cage fan does not need to be replaced. All this is designed to do is to draw cool air behind the mobo tray and to provide a little airflow over the HDDs. The stock fan is more than enough for this.

Yea, I got the PK3s.

Did you mean the 140mm or 120mm cage fan? I changed the 140mm for the hot-swap bays because all 4 of my current drives are there, including a 6TB raid 0 that I use for torrents and storage. I plan on moving at least my SSD to the lower drive cage next to the PSU though so I have free hot-swap bays.

Gotcha. I figured I was replacing 2, might as well replace all three and be consistent.

My main issue now is trying to get better performance out of the H100. I'll be applying IX which should shave off maybe 5C+, and I'm trying to find fans with more static pressure. Noise around 40-45dbA isn't an issue, I'd just prefer not to use Deltas with their 56+ dba. Any suggestions?

• Corsair Employee

FYI the fans we bundle are about 26 DBA of noise so going to a fan that is twice as loud may not be worth the extra noise. In addition I have seen several fan reviews and one of the common complaints we have seen is the many fans with high ratings have not been able to test at their rated settings in the review, so I would check for fan reviews before you buy any fans.

For expample:

Silent PC's Fan review

Whats the best 120 MM Fan BY Bit-Tech?

Just to name a few so if you are serious I would take a look at these reviews and others as they are available. The information could save you some $$$ and Time.

FYI the fans we bundle are about 26 DBA of noise so going to a fan that is twice as loud may not be worth the extra noise. In addition I have seen several fan reviews and one of the common complaints we have seen is the many fans with high ratings have not been able to test at their rated settings in the review, so I would check for fan reviews before you buy any fans.

Indeed.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120mm-fan-roundup-1_11.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120-140-fans-roundup_16.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/140mm-fan-roundup_6.html#sect0

And a user review:

http://forums.vr-zone.com/hardware-depot/665715-user-review-noiseblocker-fans-xl2-pl2-m12-p.html

For expample:

Silent PC's Fan review

Whats the best 120 MM Fan BY Bit-Tech?

Just to name a few so if you are serious I would take a look at these reviews and others as they are available. The information could save you some $$$ and Time.

This may be off topic, but how do you test static pressure of a case fan? I'd love to get a bunch of fans and test their CFM and static pressure, since the manufacturer's claims are usually exaggerated. I'm currently using 2 Panaflo FBA12G12H1BX fans as the pull fans in my H100.

What about the Gentle Typhoon 3000RPM? I was going with Noctua P12 but it's 1300 RPM

I can't decide any suggestions?

I don't want it to be noisy a lot

You are talking about the GT AP-30? That thing sounds like a 747's jet engine at takeoff. Also it only runs off of molex connections. You would need to get an adapter to run it through a fan controller.

I suggest the ~1800RPM Gentle Typhoon series fans (GT AP-14 or GT AP-15) or the NoiseBlocker Multi-Frame "high speed" (1800-2000RPM) units.

• Corsair Employee
We use Shin-Etsu Thermal compound on our coolers and I am not sure there is anything out there that is any better.

Actually I need to make a correction here we use Shin-Etsu on our H50 and H70 coolers but for the H60, H80 and H100 we are using thermal paste from Dow corning Thermal Interface Material.

I was considering on getting a H100 or H80, just wondering on others bench tests with other paste. I'm picking up a board from EVGA, so out of curiosity which paste would be deemed better. The Dow Corning TIM or EVGA Frostbite Thermal Compound? or something else.

IMO, X-bit labs fan reviews are the best I've seen. I only wish they tested the Corsair fans. FYI, they just posted a review on the H100. It's positive overall, with a couple odd issues they experienced, including apparently some unusable standoffs meant for mounting the pump/cold plate assembly, which might be a QC issue Corsair should check.

Actually I need to make a correction here we use Shin-Etsu on our H50 and H70 coolers but for the H60, H80 and H100 we are using thermal paste from Dow corning Thermal Interface Material.

Guess who has used both of those TIM's with their CPU coolers... Intel. While some may find that to be a turn-off, a recent test I read found the TIM used by Intel is excellent.

What about the Gentle Typhoon 3000RPM? I was going with Noctua P12 but it's 1300 RPM

I can't decide any suggestions?

I don't want it to be noisy a lot

They are very noisy cannot be adjusted for speed as they only have molex connections with a fan header only to monitor speed. I bought two for my H60 but replaced them with akasa Viper S blades which are much better and quieter and do have very high airflow. they keep my Q6600 at 35 idle and never reach 50 even with stress testing.

Archived