Corsair Community

Annoying noises from front Intake on the 650D

xxking

I still don't know what weird noises you guys are complaining about to be honest?

I have no weird noises from the front intake on the 650D.

Also, the case was never touted as being a quiet case with great air cooling.

The Obsidian lineup is designed for watercooling and therefore, that is it's optimal configuration.

I personally have no issues with the noise or air cooling capabilities of this case, so I'm quite happy with it, but that's just me.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will conclude this with:

the stock fans are the problem here, even without that noise that isnt supposed to happen they are LOUD. for 200 dollars I wanted high quality, relatively quiet fans. Good thing I have previously spend extra on quiet fans and did not have to spend any more money here.. but for other people that want something silent will have to spend the money for a silent fan.. now this loudness has nothing to do with corsair what does have to do with corsair is the weird front noises which have something to do with the fans structure, noise acoustics i do not know.. my knowledge in this is near zero and i have used the process of elimination in order to come up with a conclusion.. i will recommend any other owners of the 650d to buy different 200mm fans.. after putting the xigmatek crystal fan on top of the case, my case is near silent. (unless of course i am gaming which is due to a video card noise). What I am saying here does not free corsair off from being responsible for those fans. I know people that dont even care about noise but when it comes to front fan noise that is not something that is supposed to come off a fan no matter how loud it is - and that is where the problem is in first place. I recommend getting fans with a different structure than the stock fans (ex: CM megaflow etc,). I don't think people that pay 200 dollars for a case wish to spend 25 dollars more for something that is supposed to be provided with the case, and for that I am very mad, this case is a really great case and I hope corsair is going to read what I write so that next year they will come up with something much better.. this case needs to get those clamps clips whatever they're called that open up the side panel REMOVED, they DO NOT hold the side panel in PLACE what soever, it pops out from the sides and especially at the back.. they either need to use the clips from the 800D or use regular screws, keep the interior - make it just larger I want to see a full tower case with this interior, fans of course are very very very important corsair needs to redesign their fans so that we wont have to keep complaining on how the noise is annoying. Corsair needs to remove this hot swap bay on the top - it is pointless, I rather have the option to install 3x 120mms, 3x140mm or 2x 200mm fans. put the hot swap bays in the front like the 800D case- make a cut out on the back side panel or make more room for cable management it is impossible to spend HOURS AND HOURS trying to make it look good when the side panel BARELY closes. Also I would love to have that mesh option for the side panel with 4x 140mm fan options etc.

• Corsair Employee

The fans in the 650D were designed to deliver high airflow as it was one of the complaints of the original 600T case fans. We upped the RPM 25% to 1000 RPM (+/- 15%) and changed the blade design. As a result, the fans got louder, but produce significantly more airflow and provide much better cooling. As far as 200mm x 20mm fans go, the fans in our case are quite competitive.

If you have noises that you believe are due to a faulty fan or other mechanical defect, we’d be glad to replace them.

Yeah in all honesty the fans in the front of mine is pretty loud. And as others have said it seems to be bc of the mesh. I went from an antec 900 to this and honestly the front fan on this makes more noise than my 900.

If there is a solution short of buying a whole new fan that would be great. How can we honestly tell if the fan is defective or if this is just how it is?

• Corsair Employee
That is a good question, and its hard to describe the noise you should expect other than I would not expect them to be more then about 22-24 Db, you are welcome to send a RMA request and put in the description the fan is too noisy and we can send you another one if you think its too loud.

RAM GUY,

As I mentioned before in the previous comments, this isnt some regular fan noise where the fan is just loud.. this is a noise that makes the fan sound like a jet - i cant really describe the noise I just can't find the right words to give you an idea of how it sounds.. but it is definitely not the regular noise you would expect from a fan.. the fans are loud thats another thing but even though they are loud there should not be weird noise coming from the front.. Also same noise is coming from the front when I use my Xigmatek Crystal 200mm.. as I mentioned before there are two ways to end this - change the fan structure or get rid of the mesh.

I would also like to ask you something - supposedly I am to ask for a new fan, do I have to send in the old one or you guys just send in a proper fan ?

I agree with what xxking is saying the front fan on my 600T White makes the same annoying whine sound even with the contoller turned down. If you move the stock fan away from the grill the fan itself becomes silent. The noise is apparently caused by the air being drawn through the front mesh of the case. Whether it's caused by the pitch of the blades or maybe because it's only 20mm wide, I don't know. But, if you mount other fans like a CM Megaflow the noise is not there. So, the probelm appears to be in the design of the actual fan Corsair uses. Others have actually cut out the front mesh, which resovles the problem. I read the reviews on Newegg and the 600 T cases have agreeably awesome reviews, but there are those that have also noticed the same noise issue with the front fan. By itself the stock Corsair front fan seems to be excellent, but when installed against the mesh...whine city! I ended up getting my case for a little above a hundred bucks, so I didn't mind dumping 20 bucks into another front fan. But, at full retail price who wants to dump more money into a new case to "repair" an issue.

I have a 650d and have the same problem as xxking so i understand what he's talking about. I've try the fan kit and that didn't really work, the noise is from the front. I agree with tbratz and that the problem lies in the way how air is being drawn threw the front mesh. I try another brand that was 200mm X 20 and still have the same noise. The corsair fan is a great and quiet fan. I've try different resistor to finally got the the front noise to go away. i guess that's why corsair has issue the fan kit, but the resistor may or may not work for others.

The fans in the 650D were designed to deliver high airflow as it was one of the complaints of the original 600T case fans. We upped the RPM 25% to 1000 RPM (+/- 15%) and changed the blade design. As a result, the fans got louder, but produce significantly more airflow and provide much better cooling. As far as 200mm x 20mm fans go, the fans in our case are quite competitive.

If you have noises that you believe are due to a faulty fan or other mechanical defect, we’d be glad to replace them.

Oh Corsair, please don't respond to the buzzing complaints by RMA'ing fans! What a waste of time and money that would be for everyone involved (by everyone, I mean Corsair too)! It's already frustrating enough to have seen the new fan controller as well as "fix-it kit" be mailed out... for free nonetheless! All I can think is wasted money. It's the grill. It's the grill! It's the grill!!! I and several others have arrived at that conclusion by simple process of elimination.

What do I think Corsair should do??? Well you're not going to send everyone new cases with removed front grills! It seems there is no solution that is realistic and practical for Corsair! I know you want to live up to your name of good customer service, but the best solution is one that actually fixes the problem. Perhaps send out some rubber washers that distance the front fan from the grill! See if you can get the grill removed in a 650D-2. Aside from that, I don't know what you can do. I know replacing fans probably shuts people up regarding the problem, but it doesn't actually solve it!

I think the problem is that the fans are 20 mm (blades design of 20 mm size) as CM 30 mm solves the problem. But the problem is that you can not insert the 30 mm fans, because there is no space for it if you dont moves the drive cages behind tha PSU.

I just want to move the drive cages just 10 mm so I can put in a CM.

Anyone have tips on how to move drive cages a few mm........to fit the Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 mm...????

I use only the lowest drive cages, maybe it,s possible to move the bracket for the socket?

Oh Corsair, please don't respond to the buzzing complaints by RMA'ing fans! What a waste of time and money that would be for everyone involved (by everyone, I mean Corsair too)! It's already frustrating enough to have seen the new fan controller as well as "fix-it kit" be mailed out... for free nonetheless! All I can think is wasted money. It's the grill. It's the grill! It's the grill!!! I and several others have arrived at that conclusion by simple process of elimination.

What do I think Corsair should do??? Well you're not going to send everyone new cases with removed front grills! It seems there is no solution that is realistic and practical for Corsair! I know you want to live up to your name of good customer service, but the best solution is one that actually fixes the problem. Perhaps send out some rubber washers that distance the front fan from the grill! See if you can get the grill removed in a 650D-2. Aside from that, I don't know what you can do. I know replacing fans probably shuts people up regarding the problem, but it doesn't actually solve it!

Some people have solved the sound this way, but its not the rigt way!!!!!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_v6pCecbXGy0/TdrpTlNP8hI/AAAAAAAABDs/-TU9zGvCW7s/s640/CIMG3708.JPG

i could not fit the megaflow fan either, had to remove the hard drive cages and put one of the cages behind the PSU.. airflow is better but all this took me 2-3 hours to do... most of the time was cable management.. i must agree with cmeeks with every single word.. if others had the same problem it means all the fans are the same.. and theres nothing to replace.. corsair needs to change their fan structure somehow - and/or provide kits to get the front mesh removed ... i am not going to spend any more dollars on this case, i payed enough and expected high quality - lucky me i did not have to spend extra 25 dollars for a CM fan i already had it in my previous case. other people that will go crazy from this noise will end up spending 25 dollars on a new fan..

Thanks for the link.. this may be another way to solve this issue.. but I just dont like my fan being that far from the hole.. i just dont like the feeling of the fan not getting its full potential because its so far away ..

Maybe corsair should be providing those things for free for those who have the noise.. I will stick with my megaflow though, dont want to mount remount stuff already spent too much time on it.

Eluder79,

with all do respect do me a favor if you dont have a fix or anything helpful to say to help those with a problem simply dont reply.. this is a problem that pretty much everyone has and corsair is aware of the issue this topic has been opened it order to give other users as much options as possible for fixing this issue

Eluder79,

with all do respect do me a favor if you dont have a fix or anything helpful to say to help those with a problem simply dont reply.. this is a problem that pretty much everyone has and corsair is aware of the issue this topic has been opened it order to give other users as much options as possible for fixing this issue

With all due respect, I don't have this issue, I'm a happy camper with this product, so I guess you can continue to whine about the product instead of doing something about it, ie: returning it.

With all due respect, I don't have this issue, I'm a happy camper with this product, so I guess you can continue to whine about the product instead of doing something about it, ie: returning it.

With all due respect? What freaking respect are you referring to when you're labeling people as whiners? This is a forum! Sure, we can come here to declare the awesomeness of our Corsair products too, but I think the primary purpose of this particular forum is customer support and troubleshooting. No doubt xxking has been rather vocal about the issue, but that doesn't permit you to be a troll.

Look at me, I don't have this issue! :p:

• Corsair Employee
xxking, tbratz and any one else like I said I have no problem at all replacing the fans for you and I agree its hard to define a sound that you hear and what you should expect. And why I have offered to replace the fan, as far as sending the old fan back I would suggest you make the request and then contact our customer service, I really don't have much say in that matter one way or the other. I can only suggest and/or request here, it is customer service job to decide on matters like that. I am sure they will do what's best for both parties but please just talk to them and if you feel they are not being fair then let me know I can get involved.

Archived