Corsair Community

Asus P6X58D-E and CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Gamewriter

I have a competitor's P6X58D mobo (which takes triple-channel memory) and I have 3 unopened pairs of Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB dual-channel memory sticks. A friend says that my RAM should work in the triple-channel mobo since I have 6 sticks total, and the other specs (240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600) are compatible. I want Corsair since it is listed as "Only qualified 1.5V XMP RAM on Intel Core i3/i5/i7." What's that mean anyway? These sticks don't show up on the mobo's recommended memory list since they are dual channel. In fact, there is only one 4GB stick trio on their entire list (from a competitor). My bud says that the only difference between dual channel and triple-channel is that the former are tested in pairs, and latter are tested as a trio; any sticks from a reliable company should work fine if they are otherwise compatible.

What say you all?

Why a lower speed?

Why would it run slower? Is it because the sticks were not tested and sold in groups of three? Or would any RAM likely run slower because the board would be fully populated?

Exactly to both !!!You should always buy RAM that has been tested as a matched set. And if you are looking for say 12 gig, you should buy it in as few sticks as possible 3x4gig. vs 6x2gig.Not only that but populating all slots puts a much greater strain on the memory controller and also why RG said most likely you would have to run them at slower speeds. But 3x4gig would /should be able to run the full 1600mhz. But not necessarily at 1.5 v on x58 chipset.

Archived