Corsair Community

Hx620 sli

Night Gyr

Hello guys!

The HX620 is no doubt a SLI PSU, and has two 6/8 PCI-E connectors. Which means that to run SLI you need to use the molex to PCI cables. Now it is modular, which is nice. That's why I bought it :) But it's been bought with sleeving in mind for a relatively high-end build, and I dont want to mess with the molex2pci stuff - it doesn't look so nice, don't you think? So the question is:

Is it possible to use the 5-pin modular connectors on the PSU to plug in some PCI cables? When we use molex2pci, it's effectively the same - two molex (do they even have to be on different cables or on the same on is also possible? it's interesting for me as well) to a PCI.

And no 650HX, thanks :) I've got some other ways to spend that buck, really. Even this one turned out to be pretty expensive, about 120-130 bucks here in Russia (yes, I'm a bit of an unlucky overclocker - to live in Russia that is.)

(Now this post *does* exist on another hardware forum, hope this is not prohibited, as I know your rules are very strict, you're the manufacturer and I though it'd be better to ask you directly. Thanks for the understanding)

(Now this post *does* exist on another hardware forum, hope this is not prohibited, as I know your rules are very strict, you're the manufacturer and I though it'd be better to ask you directly. Thanks for the understanding)
Can't say I've ever heard of a forum "prohibiting" posting on other forums (with the exception of spam / plagarism). Rules are pretty laid back here actually all things considered.

Oh well, who knows. It's always better to reassure (hope this is the right word) than to underassure, you know what I mean. And that stuff about competitors (and not only competitors, it seems? EVGA - will see stars here? sorry, couldn't resist, don't get me wrong, I'm just joking here, actually =P)

Now back on topic. What about using an y-type 1 PCI-E to 2 PCI-E cable connector - converter? Will that give me the desired effect?

Oh, and do I need to register a (not even bought yet, you know) product to get support on the forums or can anybody who has something to ask about Corsair products ask here and get a response?

Corsair doesn't require any registration for any type of support (including RMA, but keep your receipt just in case). Anyone can ask anything about their products here.

Don't have an answer for you, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Then again I've got an HX1000W, so I didn't need to worry about splitters or anything when I built this rig.

Hmm... I might be missing something here, but I was able to use that very same PSU in a SLI build with no converter cables. This was back in my 8800GTS 512 days, though, so those only needed 6-pins.

I think what you could do now is ask these lovely people here for some extra modular cables. These 620HX PSUs are pretty old by computer tech standards, so they don't come with anything that can go into an 8-pin video card slot. These extra modular cables (I had to order them too, to run a 5970) go into one 6-pin slot in the PSU and split out to a 6 AND 8 pin solution. This means you could probably ask them for two and run SLI without having to use messy molex converters.

I hope this helps, because I may have misread your post and could be talking about something else entirely haha.:eek:

OK, I've requested those cables, will see how it goes. Now the question is, what amperage (current) can a PCI-E power cable connector handle? I mean, in the case of y-type cable, there is only one connector on the PSU, which actually handles all the current for both PCI-E cables for the graphics card. That is, say, 25A. Is that fine?

Archived