Corsair Community

AX850, standby power ok but nothing else

Manny2003

I've just bought an AX850 PSU for my third PC.

I'm already an happy owner of two HX650 installed in two other PC's. I also have a fourth PC, an old HP workstation XW4200.

When I received the AX850 for my new config I installed it correctly and it worked for one day until I shut down my system normally and the day after, when I wanted to power on my computer, it stopped to switch on.

The MB is a Gigabyte X58-UD7 that also have a power button on the mainboard. The standby power seems to be ok since I can see the internal power led and the external cmos button blue light on but when I try to power up my PC just two other phase DDR LED light up on the MB and nothing else happens.

The problem is the PSU since I tried the same unit on one of the others PC with the same MB and I have the same result. I also tested the unit on the old HP Workstation that doesn't start up and just beeps 4 times (HP says 4 beeps are related to a power problem).

How can this happens? The PSU shut the PC normally last time it was working and it seems very strange to me that a Gold series product could be faulty after only 24h. There is no smoke or smell.

I'm proceding with a RMA, but I would like to understand if there is something I'm missing or that I can test to be sure the PSU is faulty. The paperclip test could be useless in my case since I already know that there is some power coming from the PSU because I can see leds on on the MB.

Is there any security electronic system that could be active on the PSU? May be there is a way to "reset" the PSU. Sorry for fool reasoning but I'm trying to immagine everything.

Every help is very appreciated!

EDIT:

I made the test with the paperclip and it works... I also tested all pins to check V and it seems ok for 3.3V 12V and 5V... Now I'm desperated... the PSU seems to work but no MB's are able to start with this! I also put the original MB on a paperboard out of the case to investigate for any shorts. Same problem. Could be this PSU incompatible with Gigabyte? I would say no since it has worked for a day and the HP Workstation show the same problem. So it's the MB faulty? No because the problem is the same on another PC that works well with a Corsair HX650! PLEASE give me a direction to follow... also the vendor says he will charge me if the PSU will result good after the RMA request. :(

EDIT2:

OK I'm going MAD!! After 2 days of testing I'm sure that the PSU does not work with any of the MB I've tested. After the paperclip test described in the EDIT before the PSU started to work again... I'm happy with this but I'm very afraid this could happen again so... Please help me to understand... Is there possible (I think you guys you should know Corsair PSU very well) that the PSU was blocked for some reason and that the fact that I made the paperclip test made it come back from dead making some sort of discharge/reset of the unit?

Thanks RAM GUY, so do you suggest to have it replaced also if at the momenti it seems to work again? Because my problem is that I'm afraid my vendor will refuse the RMA since they say they will test all the equipments you send them back and if they are good I will be charged with 60 euros + the shipping charge to and from them, just to, at the end, have the same unit back as they will say it works.

It's very strange how it stopped to work for 2 days and now, after the paperclip test, it seems running well again. Maybe some sort of protection that need some reset after a short or something like that? :confused:

In any case, just for information, can I ask for a RMA during all the 7 years warranty if I decide to keep this PSU and then it will stop to work?

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

RAM GUY, I need help!!! Sorry to bother you but I don't know how to resolve this issue! I'm very sad and disappointed about this product. After some days I can confirm the behavior of my PSU. It works for a while, like 10 days and then after a normal shutdown the day after it stop to work. Impossible to switch on the pc and also the paperclip test fails. It just provides the 5v for the standby but it's like it doesn't recognize the switch on command, neither with a paperclip. Now I think I know how to make it work again... till it will stop again... I just need to disconnect the power cable and wait for 12/24/36 hours... then it becomes functional. The real problem is that I cannot reproduce the issue systematically, so I don't know when it will stop to switch on and the vendor won't accept as RMA this PSU that will be fully operative once in his hands. Furthermore he will charge me for the trouble. :( Please consider also that I'm in Italy, so the vendor seem to be the only suitable option to open an RMA.

Have you any idea about what can cause this problem in order to find the right way to demonstrate it to my vendor?

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...

Ok just to update my situation if other people will encounter the same issue.

As I wrote in previous posts I can't RMA, this issue dosn't allow me to RMA my PSU so I wasted 200$.. thank Corsair.

Anyway, more or less every mounth, when I press the power button of my PC the PC doesn't start. The standby 5v is ok but the MB tells me via some leds that the full power it's expecting it's not coming from the PSU.. I tested with a tester and no voltage is present from the PSU, also after the paper clip test.

All I have to do to restore the situation is to disconnect the power plug from the PSU for about 6 hours... then everything come back to life!

I can't reproduce the problem, it's random, so no RMA since when I unplug the PSU for more than 6 hours it then works again and the vendor tells me the PSU it's ok!!!!! :(

• 1 month later...

Wired, thanks a lot for you support. I will proceed with the RMA in the next weeks. What I've done so far is that I needed anyway another PSU to replace the old one once I'll have it sent to you, so I bought a new AX850.

I would like to test it a little longer, but at the moment the new unit is working good for one month. So this demonstrate that the first PSU was DOA.

Do you think there is any chance to have it refunded instead of repared, because I won't need it now that I've bought a new one? (for sure I can show that I bought another AX850 from Corsair).

Many thanks!

Archived