Corsair Community

Multiple TR3X6G1600C8D kits on a P6T Deluxe V2?

Zahnarzt

Hello,

I've done some reading on this forum, but I'm still confused as to whether or not I can run two triple channel kits of the same make/model on my P6T Deluxe V2 with my i7 920. I currently have a single TR3X6G1600C8D kit (Dominator 3 x 2GB) and want to bump it up 12GB by adding another kit of the same exact model. Can I do this? If so, will doing so defeat any features? I'd like to avoid having to buy an entirely new 12GB DDR3 kit.

Thanks for your help and time.

-Z

Thanks for your insight. Not entirely sure what I'll do at this point. Another identical kit to what I'm running now is $150, while the equivalent 12GB 3 module kits are close to $290-400.

Can you quantify the likelihood of me running into trouble with two separate, identical kits? I'm not pushing the modules, just running them at their stock XMP setting. 5% chance? 10%? Can you point me to a forum/thread where people are doing exactly this?

Thanks again,

-Z

I don't think anyone could accurately quantify the chances any more than they could pick a winning lotto number for you as the only means to tell what will or won't work is to actually test the hardware.

If you read this and other hardware forums I think you'll find the success rate to be less than 50% for mixing RAM even of the same part number and version. You might try selling your existing RAM and if that goes well then buy the matched 12 GB. Corsair kit if you really need/desire 12 GB.

Otherwise all you can do is try another kit and hope you can find a means to make it function properly. With 12 GB. your CPU/memory controller is working hard so everything needs to be perfect to prevent issues.

When attempting to mix RAM kits people are typically forced to use slower latency, lower frequency and higher voltages in an effort to make two RAM kits work because the latency of the RAM is based on one kit, not two.

Nicely put. I'll just get an entirely new 12GB kit and hock my 6GB kit on eBay. Thanks for saving me the tweaking trouble. Though I am indeed a tinker freak, I lack the cubic hours necessary to do most of what I want to do with my free time as it is. Come January, I'll be adding a kid into the mix! Let the ultimate science project begin!

Archived