Corsair Community

F120 SSD drive not detected sometimes from cold boot

RedBaron24

Where should i begin...

Sandforce _are_ having huge problems with this controller.

Got a Sony vaio with the exact same problem regarding coldboot.

"you're having other problems"

Seriously... no it's not "other problems"... the problem is the crappy Sandforce controller and Sandforce are working on fixing this aka they know that they shipped **** to the public.

Compatibility is sadly worser then hell.

I never said this was true in all cases. My response was with regards to sandy901's comment that this is a common occurrence when in fact it is not. If you are having trouble getting the drive detected from a cold start or especially out of the box, you're having other problems.

Abacuz, please fully fill out your system specifications in your profile to the best of your ability as requested upon registration. Even if you have a laptop tell us the mobo/chipset/motherboard, etc it makes our lives much easier so we don't have to go hunting down to lookup laptop specs.

Are you running IDE or AHCI? Does your laptop have SATAI (1.5 Gbps) or SATAII (3.0 Gbps)?

• 3 months later...
Actually this is not common at all. I have been monitoring this drive very closely and reading almost every user report regarding the problems revolving around this drive.

The Force series has a problem being detected AFTER it has crashed (usually BSOD), or resuming from sleep or hibernate. Cold booting is actually the solution to get the drive to be detected again.

Especially if these guys are not experiencing "kernel" power errors or crashes my guess is still that this is a controller issue, I am assuming that RedBaron's WD array is on a separate controller. I also noticed that RedBaron is using IDE emulation, as this drive probably works best in AHCI.

RedBaron and byrne, if possible, leave your computer on for a couple days and see how long it lasts. If it crashes while idle during that time frame then you have to wait for the firmware update for Force drive.

Not challenging you on this as you seem to have a much better grasp on things on here than I do, but I have the same exact problem as well and I've seen a lot of people on forums online have similar problems.

I had a 32 GB Corsair SSD that I got for very cheap on a combo deal on newegg, so I gave it to my friend who was helping me build my new setup. He had this issue when trying to install Windows 7 on it, but eventually it let up. That was yesterday though, so I don't know if the problem went away or he just hasn't been rebooting.

We then installed a 120 GB Corsair Force SSD on my machine. Windows 7 installed fine and it booted up, but then I shut it down so I could connect my Hitachi 1 TB HDD's. Once I did that, it said no drive was detected and wouldn't boot. We ended up installing Windows two more times as it was the only way to get it boot again. As of now I have my SSD with Windows 7 on it but the other HDD's disconnected, and I don't even know if it will boot when I get home.

It just seems to me that this is not an isolated problem. With very minimal searching my friend and I found numerous similar reports to this, and I've seen several on this forum. I think Corsair missed something and I hope their is a remedy in the near future.

That post I made is quite old and a lot has changed since then. The BSOD issue was fixed with firmware 2.0 for example, what firmware are you using?

The cold boot problem has been showing up lately, it can potentially be fixed by increasing IDE timeout time to max. Also, ensure you're in AHCI mode.

That post I made is quite old and a lot has changed since then. The BSOD issue was fixed with firmware 2.0 for example, what firmware are you using?

The cold boot problem has been showing up lately, it can potentially be fixed by increasing IDE timeout time to max. Also, ensure you're in AHCI mode.

Thanks for the response.

I reinstalled Windows 7 with AHCI enabled instead of IDE. I also increased the IDE timeout to it's maximum (35). Windows 7 installed properly and loaded, however once again Windows won't load on a cold boot.

I restarted several times (warm-boot) and the "no drives detected' screen came up, but almost immediately Windows loaded. However, the first time I tried shutting down the computer and started it again, Windows wouldn't load.

I am pretty sure the drive has firmware 2.0 as it said 2.0 after the SSD drive info on the POST screen. I also tried using the update firmware tool from Corsair but it didn't detect the drive, so I'm assuming it is because the firmware was already updated.

I really don't know what do and haven't found any solutions online. Is this a situation I should file an RMA? I'd rather not if it's something I can get working, but Windows has already been installed 5+ times on it and it is making me nervous that this much writing will lead to some degradation.

Thanks for your help.

Well you can use CrystalDiskInfo to confirm the firmware version but it should say the version during POST like you said. I don't have any other recommendations unfortunately I'm not sure why you're having this problem.

I used CrystalDiskInfo and the drive was using firmware 2.0. I also updated my Rampage III Formula motherboard bios from 0402 to 0505. However this didn't solve the problem. I once again installed Windows and once again on cold boots no drive is found and Windows won't load. I'm thinking it is time to RMA.

Thanks for your help though.

• 5 months later...

i'm sorry to ressurect an old thread, but it seems the issue was never properly solved and i think its better than making a new one with the same problem.

i just got a force series F115 for my HP ENVY 17 laptop. i restored the original hard drive with factory windows and cloned it over with acronis true image.

now, the F115 is my main bootable drive, and my old 750gb HDD is used for storage (my laptop has 2 drive bays).

alright, when powering on the laptop, my bios does not post for 30-40 seconds, then tells me there is no bootable drive. i press ctrl+alt+del to reboot, and the computer boots up just fine. from the moment i reset it to windows its just about 20 seconds - great. also, if i restart the computer from windows, it will reboot no problem.

so basically, on a cold boot, my laptop wont read the SSD, but after i let it do its thing and i reboot it, its fine and can run forever. i usually never shut my laptop off, so it runs for days at a time, and it does that just fine.

i pretty much repeated what others have said in this thread. i'm just hoping that maybe after all this time there is an answer to my problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I's a reseller.

I sold to 1 customer 80 pc's with:

Intel DQ67EP mainboard

Corsair forse series F115 ( CSSD-F115GB2-A )

The customer has on several pc's that users have te reboot on COLD boot.

I got 2 pc's back from him. And afther i think 20 times i got 1 time that it didn't boot from the SSD . pressed ctrl-alt-del and then it boots.

mainboard bios =:

BIOS Version 0053 - SWQ6710H.86A. 0053.2011.0615.1535

the problem is i just can update bios and hope it is gone. But maybe it comes back afther for example 50 times a cold boot. So before doing this i want to know if it is a known problem and if the problem is fixed with the bios update.

i have update the mainboard bios to 0054 but this didn't help.

I also downloaded firmware 2.0 but that tells me there is firmware 2.1a on the ssd ( so newer??? )

So what now? We will contact intel and make a support case. But they will tell maybe it is a corsair problem ( and i think that's true wile i have been reading a lot people who have these problem with a lot of boards. )

Maybe i should ask corsair for a credit note for 80 ssd's ?

• 2 weeks later...

I now got from a dutch distibuter an email that with the last firmware it is a problem.

So i should try older firmware.........

Can i flash back a 2.1 to 1.1 ?

But it's a little bit stupid... If corsair nows it's a problem in the latest firmware why don't they correct it?

But the "good" thing is i can send them all 80 back for credit

• 1 month later...
its the ssd ive had problems with all my corsair products and they always say its not their fault... i got the same problem but i get a black screen at boot nothing says that there is no os the thing is corsair cant admit when there product is bad

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same Problem with my new SAMSUNG e452-01it and the new Corsair F115.

When i Power On the Notebook I got the same error: "Non-System disk or disk error" .

After Reboot with Ctrl+Alt+Del the system works fine and very fast.

I am sure the drive has firmware 2.1a I also tried using the update firmware 2.4 from Corsair but it didn't detect the drive.

I really don't know what do and haven't found any solutions online.

I also updated my motherboard bios

However this didn't solve the problem:mad:.

• 4 weeks later...

I am running the disk as my primary boot © and after the POST I get a 'non system disk' and I just press any key and windows boots and runs just fine, curious why this is.

I have updated the disk and bios and still see no change. I am running the disk as ACHI.

Archived