Corsair Community

HX850 - OK to use modular pci-e instead of hardwired? Which sockets?

lalittle

I'm using an HX850. I have limited room in my case, and it may solve some space issues to use two of the modular PCI-E power cables instead of the two hardwired to the HX850. This is due to the fact that the modular cables are able to bend easier closer to the end of the cables -- i.e. they're more flexible, which offers the ability to keep them out of the way.

My first question is if there are any potential problems or drawbacks to doing this. The general advice I've been reading is to use the two hardwired PCI-E power cables first, but I'm not clear why it would be a problem to leave these disconnected and use two modular ones instead.

Second, if there are no issues with this, is it better to use certain specific sockets for a single PCI-E graphics card (which takes two 6-pin connections) when using the modular cables? I've read advice for OTHER power supplies that say which pairs of sockets should be used for each graphics card, but I can't seem to find this information for the HX850.

Thanks for any help with this,

Larry

• Corsair Employee
The HX850 has a single 12v rail, so any combination of the PCIE cables will work, modular or non modular. The non modular PCIE cables should be used first only because it makes more sense than using modular cables and leaving the non modular ones hanging in the case, but if you need extra length and the modular PCIE cables can give it to you, then go for it!

• 3 months later...

in the manual it says if your video card requires to pci-e connectors it says not to mix and match

use either 2 modular or 2 hardwired per card

what's the reason for this?

for the modular ones does it matter which blue sockets there plugged into?

• Corsair Employee
in the manual it says if your video card requires to pci-e connectors it says not to mix and match

use either 2 modular or 2 hardwired per card

what's the reason for this?

for the modular ones does it matter which blue sockets there plugged into?

This is only true for the HX1000 which has two 12v rails, you would not want to have 2 different 12v rails plugged into the same device as it could cause a short. With the HX850 you can use any combination of hardwired or modular PCIE cables, since their power is coming from the same source.

I have the HX850 and the AX850, I use just the modular PCIe cables with the HX and everything works fine. But honestly for even better cable results the AX850 is the way to go! Hoping this Summer Corsair will introduce a Platinum Grade 850 with the new "CorsairLink" yeah baby! Will the PSU then plug directly into the Mainboard? It must have to for the software to measure temps and adjust fan speeds.

This is only true for the HX1000 which has two 12v rails, you would not want to have 2 different 12v rails plugged into the same device as it could cause a short. With the HX850 you can use any combination of hardwired or modular PCIE cables, since their power is coming from the same source.

ok i'll take your word for it but that's what i read in the online 750/850HX manual

The PCI-E connectors supplied with your 750W/850W PROFESSIONAL power

support video cards with both 6-pin and/or 8-pin PCI-E power sockets. Connect

the appropriate PCI-E cable(s) to the power socket(s) of your PCI-E video card if

required. If your video card requires two PCI-E power connectors, do not

connect a hard-wired/captive PCI-E connector and a modular connector to the

same video card. It is recommended to use either hard-wired/captive cables or

modular cables, but not both on the same video card.

So will the physical Link device be backward compatible with my AX850? Or only work with newer CorsairLink PSUs? Like the Corsair Professional Series Platinum due out this. June?
No current PSU has the Corsair Link stuff built in AFAIK.

Where'd you hear about a platinum model? News to me. Got a link?

Corsair has been at the very front edge of the PSU industry for years now, they are not going to lose that advantage. Some group called Flower Power silly name just last week announced the 1st Platinum Grade 92 consumer power supply. Reason would dictate Corsair already has them in the works and Corsair always releases their new psu line in the Summer. I lose the 7-year cost effectiveness because I buy a new Corsair psu every 12 months, they are just so good!

Archived