Corsair Community

3rd Corsair Flash Voyager GTR USB 2.0 Flash Drive in 30 months

Stevemitchell

Hi Ram Guy - I'm at my wits end on this one. I first purchased a CORSAIR Flash Voyager GT 8GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) 256bit AES Encryption Model CMFUSB2.0-8GBGT in April of 2008. It failed in my pocket in April 2010 and Newegg didn't have a replacement, so I was refunded.

I then purchased the heavy-duty Corsair 32 GB Flash Voyager GTR USB 2.0 Flash Drive CMFVYA32GBGT2 from Amazon in April 2010. This drive also failed in my pocket in early June of 2010, with a serious loss of personal data. Sometime during the previous year or so, Amazon changed their policy of honoring mfg warranties for the first year. I pitched a fit and "as a courtesy", Amazon replaced the unit with a like one.

Here it is, late September of 2010, and once again, my Corsair 32 GB Flash Voyager GTR USB 2.0 Flash Drive CMFVYA32GBGT2 has failed.

When I say "in my pocket" I'm simply referring to that fact that these thumbdrives sit on my keychain until I need them, or need files off of them. I tried this drive this morning in 3 different machines, and while being recognized, the OS cannot access the drive, doesn't think it's there.

I'd be curious to know if a keychain (not carkey chain, but a 'locks' keychain) is too rough an environment for these devices? Do I need to give up carrying them?

Stevemitchell

The June failure happened on a unit that housed the encryption key for my harddrive data. When inserted into every USB slot on two machines, it was not recognized at all.

This failure manifests itself by being recognized as "removable storage" on both XP-SP3 and Win7, but does not identify itself as Corsair, and does not mount as a volume at all, or in any usable way. The OS DOES report the device as ready to use though.

Steve

Archived