Corsair Community

Corsair H70 Internal Testing Results

Yellowbeard

I am aware that the rant wasn't directed at me kkolbo :cool: But this part was a reaction to my post that preceded it. That is why I felt the need to make the clarification. Anyway, NP. Cheers! :sunglasse

I agree that for you that would be useful information, but it is not fair to expect or argue about a manufacturer providing such information. :nono: I don't think it is fair to expect a manufacturer to provide results of testing their product with a variety of mods. In this case, a different fan config for the H50 against an H70. Then again, it will be different if you are using fans with different specs. They sell a complete component and they are responsible for the performance of their product as it is delivered. Although in this case they didn't need to supply the results and details of their testing.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been fixed.

The fellows at Hardware Canucks are good at what they do but I do have 1 question I'll send over to them. I'm wondering how the got the internals of the system 4c cooler than ambient before the testing started. I'm wondering if it's a typo or of they really did it. The results in this review look pretty good.

Case Temperature Testing:

To help give us a clear picture of what effects the water cooling unit in its default configuration will have on in-case temperatures we will be using a K-type A W Sperry STK-3016T single line Digital Thermometer with reading sensitivity of 0.1°C. It is positioned 1" from the top of the motherboard in the location indicated below:

Unless specifically noted, the internal ambient case temperature testing will BEGIN with a “cold” system with the internal case temperature reading 20°C. While we base the CPU temperatures on 15 minutes of testing, the internal ambient air temperature test will consist of 45 minutes of running Prime95 “small fft” and at the end of the test the internal case temperature is recorded as the official result for that run. Each test run configuration was run at least 3 times and only best results are represented. If at any time during the 45 minute test the internal ambient case temperatures reached 45°C the test is considered a FAIL and recorded as such.

Environment:

Except where noted all comparison testing was done inside a closed case with a room ambient temperature of 24c. If at any time the room temperature increased or decreased by more than 1°C, testing was halted until the temperature constant was re-established.

I'll have a question Yellowbeard:

Which location you have installed the H70 in your test? Have you installed other fans in Obsidian 800D?

After two days of operation, my temperature is stabilized.

Idle temperature after 15 minutes on the desktop:

2 degrees less.

Temperature when I play:

6 degrés de moins.

I found it excellent. Otherwise we rely on the results of canucks I can still do better by putting the fans to 2000rpm.

I think it's also a great way of cooling for a overclocked processors.

The tests suggest that the H70 is more impressive when the CPU frequency is high. And it's pretty good.::pirate::

The review by Canucks appears to be the most in-depth review so far and the H70 comes out of it well :biggrin: .

One question which i'm finding hard to get get answered , what is the cfm of the supplied fans it ships with ( on max settings ) as pretty much all review say they are loud so i will look to replace them with quieter units ( still no H70 stock yet where i am :[pouts: ) once i get one .

The review by Canucks appears to be the most in-depth review so far and the H70 comes out of it well :biggrin: .

One question which i'm finding hard to get get answered , what is the cfm of the supplied fans it ships with ( on max settings ) as pretty much all review say they are loud so i will look to replace them with quieter units ( still no H70 stock yet where i am :[pouts: ) once i get one .

I'm also interested in the H70 nominal pump RPM's (either quoted from Corsair or what end users are seeing).

Reason? For validation once installed, as I would want to ensure correct ~100% speed.

PS: Strangely, after a day of use, the idle temperature are similar. There is only one or two degrees difference now between the H50 and H70.:confused:

Idle means nothing, the cooling capacity of both the H50 and H70 exceeds the wattage of your CPU at idle. That's why they are both at the same level.

Do you have an airconditioned room where temps are the same every day? If not, your comparison is invalid. A better way would be to look at the deltaT of roomT and cpuT (or waterT).

I think that people have too much expectations of this kit. It wil outperform a H50 but you need to look at it as an improved H50 (a new model year sort of speak) and not as a different model. Remember this is still a "ready to install" kit and not a custom WC!

That said, testing cooling gear is extremely hard. And all reviews until now lack a certain thing: retries. Vapor at SkinneeLabs, for example, tests coolers the correct way: you try 5 times and test. Always clean the cooler and CPU in between and reseat. Then you take the middle 3 results and average these. Current pastes and coolers are so optimized that it sometimes takes a few times until you find that "sweet spot". What paste does the reviewer use anyhow? Did they allow for a curing/break-in period? You see, so many questions...

My H70 is on it's way and will be replacing my Venomous-X today. I am currently testing and reseating, averaging idle (20 minutes on desktop) and load temps with OCCT and taking notes and saving temp graphs. Later, I will do the same for my H70 and then see what's what. I am using Shin Etsu X23 with a 4/8/12 hour break-in period, I only have one application of Indigo Xtreme left but I like a more classic paste like the X23... A real improvement in application over my MPU3.7, that's for sure :laughing:

I will keep you guys posted. My expectations are: to be 3°C cooler to my Venomous-X, anything more is a nice bonus to me. Don't expect too much, I am in the marketing business and these days the consumer is way too demanding.

A little tip for anyone who wants new fans: Gentle Typhoon AP-15 in push pull are quality!

I've got mine being shipped now. I'll try out the stock fans but if they are too obnoxious I'll swap in the GT AP15s I already have lying around.

Those are some quality fans imo :sunglasse The amount of Watts they consume (very little) vs the static pressure and cfm (high) shows that they carry quality bearings! (dual ball to be precise)

I ordered my H70 from http://www.highflow.nl, they have stock and deliver international (Holland to Belgium) in one day :o

Ctgilles, I use my air conditioning and temperature readings are always made with the same temperature in my room of course.;):

I noticed a sharp drop in temperature after assembly followed by a rise but then was stabilized. I still 2 degrees lower compared to my H50. idle temperature of course.

I have not changed the original thermal paste because it is very good. I do not know the running time for it to be at my maximum efficiency.

I know the fans that you recommend but the original ones look very good, I do not change.

I am extremely happy with the H70 up, I'm not going to change anything except maybe put a location in my box.::pirate::

I am extremely happy with the H70 up, I'm not going to change anything except maybe put a location in my box.::pirate::

Happy to hear that :biggrin: Most users are happy, but the (mostly) negative reviews seem to set too high standards. That's a shame.

Hmmm, I'm at the same temps (maybe 1°C more cool) as with my Venomous-X (load) :confused: But installation was a PITA in my case, in my opinion the cables are experiencing way too much torque because of the location in my Lancool K7 and this causes bad contact or bad paste spread... Plus the fans now generate much more noise (the AP-15s) :roll:

New case and fancontroller it is! Until that time, this installation will do because my ShinEtsu is too expensive :p

The only significant results with the H70 are when you have the fans at Max and it still doesn't beat the better Air Cooling solutions out there using just 1 Fan. This really is not a worthy purchase especially for $100+.

My 3 year old True Extreme 120 with a S-Flex F is comparable to this product. Mine is also quieter.

The only significant results with the H70 are when you have the fans at Max and it still doesn't beat the better Air Cooling solutions out there using just 1 Fan. This really is not a worthy purchase especially for $100+.

My 3 year old True Extreme 120 with a S-Flex F is comparable to this product. Mine is also quieter.

Quite a few reviews state otherwise. And, due to the density of the cooling fins in the H70 radiator, running it with 1 fan is not recommended.

Do you have any more data on this?

I'm matching my Venomous-X which was installed _perfectly_ and atm my contact is ****ty... Bad paste spread *and* too much torque. You must have done something wrong :!:

Plus I am sure that the H70 will provide better cooling in case of more heat (either more CPU speed/voltage, an SLI/CF solution blowing hot air, or just a very warm day) because it can store and thus handle more heat in the system.

I'm going to get me a Silverstone FT02, the [H] "review/installation" with pics showed a nice roomy miditower with a perfect spot to place that radiator.

But I do find the mounting plate to be crap on my Gigabyte UD6... The CPU socket system is rather big compared to other boards and I needed to install the CPU block before putting the motherboard back into my case (otherwise the rear plate would always pop out of the mobo holes :s)

This doesn't really match what even the most conservative reviews have been saying about the performance. Do you have any data to support your claims?

This appears to be the real deal from Legit Reviews on the H70;

Corsair Hydro Series H70 CPU Water Cooling Kit Review

Editors' Choice

Legit Bottom Line: Corsair Hydro Series has come a long way and the Hydro Series H70 CWCH70 is the new king of the kit water coolers; and at $103 it’s a little more than high-end air, but nowhere near as bad as a full-on custom water cooling loop.

:cool:

Archived