Corsair Community

Crackling Noise and occassional spark from HX750

Velathawen

Hello,

I have experienced some white sparks emitted from the back of the Corsair HX 750 and have previously written to tech support via email in an attempt to address this situation. I purchased this Corsair HX750W in Hong Kong, and it was not one of the options in the tech support form. Perhaps this is why my issue was not addressed then. It was a one time event and the PSU has been working fine since. I had noticed however, that since that spark the PSU has been running extremely warm.

I had this problem with my old system specs:

Phenom II X4 965 @ 3870 1.375v

Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4

2x2GB of DDR3-1600 ram

750 GB Caviar Black

Same mid tower case as listed in sig.

Now, I have swapped to the current specs listed in my system specs and the power supply continues to run extremely warm. Moments ago, while running several folding@home clients (1 CPU, 2 GPU) my computer shut off and there was a period of electric noise. Thankfully, I was able to get it up and running again to type this message, but I am still concerned. I am wondering if I am pushing my PSU too hard or if there is a hardware issue at play.

Thank you for your time.

• Corsair Employee

If there are sparks coming from the PSU then I would suggest that we get it replaced. Request an RMA

Some PSUs will run warmer than others depending on many different factors. It does not sound like the temperature of the PSU is anything to worry about, but the sparks should not be happening.

Thanks for your reply, I am wondering how the RMA process would work as I did not purchase my unit in the United States, and when selecting the RMA model + location, the appropriate option is not there. I purchased it in Hong Kong and I picked up the 750HX as stated, none of these are options when attempting to file a request for an RMA. What would you suggest I do?

Archived