Corsair Community

The Ultimate H50 Case?

Hotwired

I personally don't believe the 800D looks like it was designed for the H50. But if there was a case which looks like it was...

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4846/ultimateh50.jpg

120mm fan intake in the front, push pull setup and gets blown out of the 120mm and 200mm fans in the back and roof.

Plus a 120mm in the lower section for the GPU.

No crazy intake at the back which sucks in hot GPU/PSU exhaust air when the case is against a wall... :p:

I modded it again to get this:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5876/tmpm.jpg

Can't name many cases you can get that kind of cooling set up in :biggrin:

Hey, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Fans are on a silent BIOS setup which has them idling at 1000-1100rpm but under load (if temperature goes over 60 degrees) they hit their max of 1600-1700rpm.

Ambient today is 19 degrees C read from a thermometer hanging ~10cm from the CPU air intake for the last hour or so.

Speedstep is enabled on my CPU which goes very well with my fan profiles.

This is an Intel Burn Test (20 loops) I did just now at a stable 4ghz on my i5 750. A Prime95 test would have much lower temperatures but this is the better test.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2594/h50p.jpg

With ambient at 20 degrees C (stress testing bumped up room temp) I carried out a Prime95 Blend test for a similar length of time.

I had to restart and go into the BIOS to alter the fan profile because Prime95 didn't get the CPU hot enough to trip the cooling fans into full speed mode... which was annoying. Now set to engage 100% at 50 degrees C.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1135/h50w.jpg

• Corsair Employee
Great looking install, I haven't seen one front mounted yet! In the 800D some people have mounted the H50 on the top fan mount area in order to keep the rear fan as exhaust, but I think the front mounted H50 will likely give you similar results.

Normal cases don't have any option to front mount this kind of setup. In fact this case won't let you do that either.

But if you remove the slot-in HDD cages which requires some fiddling with screws to remove the mounts and as I found, needing to create a very short screwdriver to remove the upper mounts... well you can then fit multiple fans instead of the hard drives.

It removes five 3.5 HDD spots but I have 2TB of storage in the bottom 5.25 bays opposite the PSU and the upper 5.25 bay has the all-in-one (except bluray) optical drive. Which is all I need.

There is one new mATX case not yet out which has a similar layout but I don't believe it is wide or tall enough to fit the H50 rad either sideways or upright in the front fan spot.

Still, I did my measurements before buying the H50 (twice, got sent the non-1 version the first time) and this case is a perfect match :biggrin:

Same setup using twelve hundred instead. I used 3M fastener dual lock reclosable to mount the radiator. It is better than the regular velcros. The radiator fits snugly as shown. I haven't tried detailed temp measurement but I noticed from my temp monitor that it gets high when too much air is pushed on the radiator. Probably, efficiency is achieved with balanced airflow. Also, I removed the ram cooler because it disrupts the airflow.

The fresh air is supplied by the fan in front of the case.

Anyway, I'm happy with this setup.

CIMG4032.JPG.910e950f2613500b822d6cb854511c7f.JPG

CIMG4034.JPG.11d0e69ce83cac526bdcf493978510cf.JPG

CIMG4033.JPG.71e39b7fc2b7e74a2f9190122c42b2de.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
Hey, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Fans are on a silent BIOS setup which has them idling at 1000-1100rpm but under load (if temperature goes over 60 degrees) they hit their max of 1600-1700rpm.

Ambient today is 19 degrees C read from a thermometer hanging ~10cm from the CPU air intake for the last hour or so.

Speedstep is enabled on my CPU which goes very well with my fan profiles.

This is an Intel Burn Test (20 loops) I did just now at a stable 4ghz on my i5 750. A Prime95 test would have much lower temperatures but this is the better test.

With ambient at 20 degrees C (stress testing bumped up room temp) I carried out a Prime95 Blend test for a similar length of time.

I had to restart and go into the BIOS to alter the fan profile because Prime95 didn't get the CPU hot enough to trip the cooling fans into full speed mode... which was annoying. Now set to engage 100% at 50 degrees C.

Actually, there isn't much difference in maximum CPU core temperatures using Prime95 (aka P95) or IntelBurnTest v2.4 (aka IBT).

At least for my setup, i7-860, 3.8Ghz, 30C idle, 70C 100% load (ambient 20C).

I benchmarked both using RealTemp (logged to the default RealTempLog.csv file at 1 second intervals).

I then pulled the csv file into Excel and did the usual statistical metrics.

For IBT I used "Maximum" for Stress Level, 8 threads, 5 runs.

The key is selecting the "In-place large FFTs (maximum heat, power consumption, some RAM tested)" option in Prime95.

Both programs ran for the same length of time, a little over half an hour for each.

From IBL I took the last 240 seconds from each of the five cycles to obtain mean maximum temperature (1,200 seconds total).

For P95 I took the last 1,200 seconds to obtain mean maximum temperture.

The difference between these two means was 76.3C (IBT) - 75.3C (P95) = 1C (ambient was ~25C).

If you look at just the maximums each test generates then, 77.7 (IBT) - 76.0C (P95) = 1.7C (ambient was ~25C).

Data was linearly detrended for changing room temperature from start to finish.

Mind you this is just a first cut (I'll repeat this comparison for a rock solid 20C ambient room temperature as the detrend was rather aggresive, IBT was run first immediately followed by P95).

Bottom line? Less than a 2C differential in an absolute worst case comparison.

So much for the IBT author's claim of "Load temp under Linpack will be up to 22C higher than the competing software Prime95."

In my case, for IBT I can only make the claim of "Load temp under Linpack will be up to 1C higher than the competing software Prime95 (when choosing the correct testing options for each program)."

YMMV. :sigh!:

Great looking install, I haven't seen one front mounted yet! In the 800D some people have mounted the H50 on the top fan mount area in order to keep the rear fan as exhaust, but I think the front mounted H50 will likely give you similar results.

not true ;)

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=81421&highlight=lap

for a front setup the tyr-x500 is a good case too, but i was facing a few problems, which i will explain, so i decided to mount it on rear exhaust fan.

with only 2 intake fans covert with dustfilter and radiator i was not be able to archive a positive air-pressure in my rig. not so good if u have a dusty environment. the h50 is cooling my cpu so good, that i dont care about it being +3°C. and since I'm not blowing warm air in the rig, all other components are now lil cooler. without OC my northbridge temps are higher than q6600 cores anyway.

with good airflow, a rear-exhaust-mount is no problem at all. otherwise or for benching I'd go for the intake mount. i think the 800D is close to perfect, i like ur setup to. in my case i'd maybe change the rear fan to intake and mount a dustfilter before. the 200 fan should take care of what is coming from left and right.

My goodness, I almost have the same rig as you. I have a question though: I just bought the H50 but I'm having problems getting the pump to 1400 rpm. Since we have the same mobo, are you able to get it to 1400 rpm? If so, how did you do it?

I've tried the chassis fan and opti fan headers but it only gives me around 1350-60 rpm...

My goodness, I almost have the same rig as you. I have a question though: I just bought the H50 but I'm having problems getting the pump to 1400 rpm. Since we have the same mobo, are you able to get it to 1400 rpm? If so, how did you do it?

I've tried the chassis fan and opti fan headers but it only gives me around 1350-60 rpm...

I've never reached 1400 RPM either.

But 1355/1400 ~ 97%, or 3% below the stated RPM.

I've always assumed the voltage was also 3% below the nominal voltage.

I see the same thing on the RPM's reported for my fans, a few percent below the stated RPM's.

YMMV.

Archived