Corsair Community

[Tutorial] Restoring SSD performance and imaging Disk

ewarwoowar

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I tried Secure Erasing my f60 drive, but after I clicked on the internal erase I got a message saying:

"Unfortunately this drive is reported as being in a Frozen state (a safe-guard option implemented by the bios during boot time...)"

...and it offered to secure erase it like an external drive.

There does not seem to be a relative option in the bios, I have already secure erased the drive when using 1.1 firmware and just after installing firmware 2.0

Any ideas?

Today I tried Secure Erasing my f60 drive, but after I clicked on the internal erase I got a message saying:

"Unfortunately this drive is reported as being in a Frozen state (a safe-guard option implemented by the bios during boot time...)"

...and it offered to secure erase it like an external drive.

There does not seem to be a relative option in the bios, I have already secure erased the drive when using 1.1 firmware and just after installing firmware 2.0

Any ideas?

Found this thread...will look into the solutions proposed and report back

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I tried using PMagic to secure erase my P3-128, and every time it reboots, it is to a black screen. It never goes further. I want to reload WIN7 X64, and I would like to do it on a clean drive. I have ran into problems when the computer tries to go to sleep.

Any help would be appreciated. Also HDDErase does not work on this drive, at least with my setup.

• 1 month later...

I would like to state that I do not visit this forum that much! So that any questions aimed at me may not ever be answered. I hope that other members and the Admins can help with any questions as much as possible.

I will try and come here as much as possible. Reason i'm on here now is to check for new F/W update for my F160 :) So happy with my Force series purchase!

By reading through it seems that many people are receiving problems with the whole guide and to tell the truth this guide is pretty obsolete becuase of the introduction to TRIM now. This is more aimed towards RAID users and older drive users like Firmware 1.0 Xtremes.

Please check and see if you have TRIM enabled or not and if you do there is no need to worry about doing this guide :)

Has been nice to come on and see this guide with 39K views though!

• 2 weeks later...
By reading through it seems that many people are receiving problems with the whole guide and to tell the truth this guide is pretty obsolete becuase of the introduction to TRIM now. This is more aimed towards RAID users and older drive users like Firmware 1.0 Xtremes.

This guide is not obsolete at all. The point of it is to show people how to secure erase, which is useful for SSDs and HDDs of all types.

Sorry new to this SSD stuff.

I've pretty much read all the messages posted in this thread.

Someone asked why does the SSD's get bad after time (slow down)?

I never saw anyone answer that question, so can someone please explain why the SSD drives get slower as time goes on?

And why would you need to do a secure erase if you are going to format your drive from scratch. Unless you work for a government or some high secure position, I don't see the need to do the write zero's option?

Thanks!

Rob

• 2 months later...

Hm, but will cloning a drive without copy by sector work just the same? I'm asking because i have to clone my netbook system to brand new Corsair Force 3, but i have some weird ACER restore partition and all its boot stuff. Will it work properly if i copy it without sector copy option?

I usually perform all the cloning tasks with PING tool. But i think this one uses sector copy by default. I have never worked with SSD's before, just HDD's.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Allo quick question:

I currently have 1 SSD, tomorrow I will be adding a second in RAID0, so right now I'm about to secure erase the current one (which the OS is currently running off of).

once erased I see this step:

D. - Format and unit allocation (Optional)

Okay this section is all optional for people who are running their SSDs in a RAID0 setup.

....etc

When I create the RAID through the controller, that will set stripe size and all that. So I don't have to do step D - is that correct? I'm good to go in creating the RAID and letting that process set stripe and all that goodness?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have done it with win 7 system image and same results. Sorry but to me this is overkill, Let you pc sit on overnight and let garbage collection do its thing or if you dont want to do that just use freespacecleaner version 1.0 as it works great on raid arrays. I haven't used it in over a month and i am still getting close to 1 gb a sec read/write speeds...

http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=2&file_id=10

Has anyone experience of using the Windows 7 "System Image"? It should work as well as True Image, or?

ATTO1.thumb.jpg.1f2fd6903887515b8000faff49979442.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

hi all,

I thought it would be a good idea to try and improve performance on an old ssd before i built a new pc with it. So i disconnected all important drives including my new ssd with my operating system on. And plugged in the old ssd. i then proceed to boot from cd onto parted magic and right all blocks to zero on my old ssd following the tutorial in this thread... all went fine. However when i reconnect all my drives, the boot ssd and storage drive i can see both in the bios and choose to boot from my ssd. However windows pops up with the message please insert boot media no operating system found. it fails to find the operating system on the ssd drive. If i plug this ssd drive into another pc i can see all the files and operating system are still there. Has anyone experienced this and got any pointers. i have booted from windows7 cd and try to repair but even that doesn't find the existing copy.

cheers in advance

matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived