Corsair Community

Corsair 800D WC setup advices, suggestions.

Hi everyone,

I'm going to swap my current Thermaltake Armor case with the Corsair 800D and I really need suggestions for all the WC custom parts like rad, pump, CPU block...I just want to put my CPU under water, not the GPU so no extra loop needed. You can check my specs below my username.

I do want a silent computer but also a decent temp improvement from my Megahalem. The Corsair 800D is a case for water cooling so I think it wouldn't be that hard to fit all the parts in there, I just need advices and recommendations on parts and price.

Much appreciated for the help.

Not going to get much help here, I would suggest a forum for Watercooling. But if price is no concern, it is very easy to do:

Swiftech Reservoir, Swiftech Radiator (120.3), Swiftech pump, Heatkiller or Swiftech CPU block, EK full board block, some gentle typhoons, some 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD tubing, a bunch of Bitspower Compression fittings, coolant, and you're done.

Or you can just get an H50.

Thanks MJinZ, I just post around and seek as much help as I could but it seems nobody would care or willing to help. :)) Anyway I'll be looking for these parts as your suggestions and do you have any idea where's the best site I could get all these parts? I live in the states and I know sites like petratechshop....but I probably need more suggestions.

Not going to get much help here, I would suggest a forum for Watercooling. But if price is no concern, it is very easy to do:

Swiftech Reservoir, Swiftech Radiator (120.3), Swiftech pump, Heatkiller or Swiftech CPU block, EK full board block, some gentle typhoons, some 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD tubing, a bunch of Bitspower Compression fittings, coolant, and you're done.

Or you can just get an H50.

MJinZ. Just a comment. The OP said he didn't want to WC the GPU, so I guess he won't "need" the EK full board block. Of course, depening on his CPU overclock and his cooling goals, this loop might have the capacity to handle his GPU also. (depending on which GPU of course.)

x509

Sorry for the misleading, I just wanna clarify that I don't need a GPU block since I'm not going to watercooled the video card since I upgrade frequently and for now I'm still waiting for Fermi so it would be useless to get a GPU block for my HD4870X2. Anyway I came up with these parts and still need suggestions for some, pls take a look and give me your take:

-CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme

-Rad: XSPC RX360

-Pump: Swiftech MCP655

-Reservoir: EK Dual Bay

-Tubing: What kind of tubing is good? 1/2, 3/8 or 7/16?

-Coolant: I want a blue coolant so does it really matter the brand or any will work?

-Barbs: ???? How many do I need?

Thanks in advance!

I think he's referring to the Motherboard.

Yep, it's silly watercooling a CPU without watercooling the motherboard as well. The motherboard temperatures are much harder to control these days (especially X58 chipsets) than the CPU. Otherwise, an H50 or a Swiftech MCR Drive would suffice.

Sorry for the misleading, I just wanna clarify that I don't need a GPU block since I'm not going to watercooled the video card since I upgrade frequently and for now I'm still waiting for Fermi so it would be useless to get a GPU block for my HD4870X2. Anyway I came up with these parts and still need suggestions for some, pls take a look and give me your take:

-CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme

-Rad: XSPC RX360

-Pump: Swiftech MCP655

-Reservoir: EK Dual Bay

-Tubing: What kind of tubing is good? 1/2, 3/8 or 7/16?

-Coolant: I want a blue coolant so does it really matter the brand or any will work?

-Barbs: ???? How many do I need?

Thanks in advance!

FrozenCPU.com, Sidewindercomputer, or Petra's tech are all you need, as well as Newegg, Amazon etc if you want to go bargain hunting for the best prices.

Your choices are fine, though I would go for a different Radiator (they're all about the same though), though that pump is overkill (you should also consider if you want to limit noise).

Like I said - 1/2 ID, 3/4OD tubing with same spec compression fittings, if you want a good looking system. Barbs make for poor aesthetics :sunglasse

FrozenCPU.com, Sidewindercomputer, or Petra's tech are all you need, as well as Newegg, Amazon etc if you want to go bargain hunting for the best prices.

Your choices are fine, though I would go for a different Radiator (they're all about the same though), though that pump is overkill (you should also consider if you want to limit noise).

Like I said - 1/2 ID, 3/4OD tubing with same spec compression fittings, if you want a good looking system. Barbs make for poor aesthetics :sunglasse

Thank you for the reply,

I heard good thing about the RX360, is there anything wrong with it?

As for the pump I might get the MCP355 but I don't know what top should I get, can you recommend me some? Also for the CPU block, I saw some people have problem with the backplate for their i7 setup so I would need another one. And what would be a good choice for compression fittings?

Thank you for the reply,

I heard good thing about the RX360, is there anything wrong with it?

As for the pump I might get the MCP355 but I don't know what top should I get, can you recommend me some? Also for the CPU block, I saw some people have problem with the backplate for their i7 setup so I would need another one. And what would be a good choice for compression fittings?

For specifics, it is highly advisable to consult with others who have the same motherboard as you.

Example: For EVGA Classifieds, there are even issues across very similar Classified boards for the full board block.

Some people like to use Megahalems backplate for their Swiftech blocks. The blocks are pretty good, I don't recall what the newest is but the GTZ sounds fine.

Bitspower for compression fittings. They come in different colors and sizes, but that's it, Bitspower is the brand.

I don't think you need a different top for 355, or just go for a Danger Den CPX pro.

It seems people having mounting and backplate problems with the Swiftech XT and GTZ so I have to reconsider, but I notice the XT is now shipping with the backplate so I should ask around for that. Besides the HeatKiller 3.0, is there other good CPU block?

I also heard if I decide to get the EK Dual Bay then I have to do a custom mod in order to fit it in a bay drive? Don't know if anyone has this issue?

I'm pretty much set for everything but the CPU block and pump, really wanna get it done ASAP.

Yep, it's silly watercooling a CPU without watercooling the motherboard as well. The motherboard temperatures are much harder to control these days (especially X58 chipsets) than the CPU. Otherwise, an H50 or a Swiftech MCR Drive would suffice.

MJinZ. I'm planning on getting the latest ASUS P58 board, I forget the exact model but it's a "successor" to the P6T series. I have asked in various forums and people say that the NB runs pretty cool. Also, with some exceptions, you can't find chipset blocks for P58 chipset boards. Or are there some places I still need to look, beyond "the usual suspects?":confused:

Thanks,

x509

Archived