Corsair Community

EVGA X58 3X SLI and TR3X6G1600C8D

penguin76

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I have the x58 LE, I cannot get the memory to run at 1600 AT ALL. I am going to run memtest for each of the chips I guess and figure out which ones won't run at 1600 and RMA them. I am using the settings it shows on the forum here, no dice.

yeah Ive got a ticket in with evga right now. I'm hoping they will be able to help. Ive rma'd these sticks once and I pretty sure I'm going to prolly do it again. They ran for a few days at 1600. Still couldn't overclock with it though. I'm pretty angry at this point.

Yes I am running 2 6gb sets

It also will not boot with xmp on at lower than 1600, won't post with xmp on at 1600+

Tried each set separately, one set will not run at 1600 period, the set I have in now is currently working (but it's only been 15 minutes)

With 6 modules of that part I would suggest DDR1333 but test them one set at a time to be sure one is not failing.

I got one set to run at 1600, changed it out with the other set and can't get over 1500 - crashes at 1500... I am just going to return them to newegg, 1600 is too slow anyway.

Either way one set will not run alone at 1600, didn't need a snippy response. Was just asking for an explanation.

I was debating whether or not to RMA the one set and sell the other for some dominator gt - I think you just made my decision for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I found this thread because I was researching a problem with my new computer. It has a EVGA Classified E760 motherboard and 12G of Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D. The computer is only a week and a half old and has run like a top except for one problem; random restarts. The computer would restart once or twice a day without notice. It usually occurs when I am on the internet. There is no problem while gaming or stressing the computer. After I could not figure out what was going on, I called in a professional. He tested every component and all passed. He reloaded the chipset drivers (I had flashed the most current version of bios before he came with no effect).

After he left the computer ran well for a day and then all day today. Then I noticed that the ram was running at 1066. I figured it had reset in bios when the tech was working on the computer. So I reset bios to XMP mode and the ram went back to 1600. About a 1/2 hour after resetting to 1600 the computer restarted twice within two minutes. I am a noob, but do understand cause and effect. I reset the ram back to 1066 and have not had a reboot in three hours. I started to research the issue and came across this thread. It was like I found home. It is too soon for me to conclude that the ram is the problem, but the eight pages here has made me very suspicious. The ram runs fine on synthetic tests and in gaming, but the minute it is set to 1600 and the system is in a low stess situation I get a reboot.

I am going to follow the comments of those more knowledgeable then me, but think Corsair should be saying something since these problems do not seem to be isolated. As an observation, I am a member of other forums that influence peoples purchase selections. I have always held Corsair in high esteem, but would like a definitive answer as to whether or not the ram could be a problem.

Alan

Yeah, EVGA says its the processor. Which I can believe. Since the mem controller is on the chip. Ive contacted Intel but they said that as long as it is stable at 1066 they wont replace the chip. So ive had to just test the limits of my chip. I have a stable OC at 3.7, which put my ram at 1450mhz and it will not stay stable any faster. Kinda a bummer, im thinking about trying different ram to see if it works, but my money is on the chip.

Easy way to determine that is to test one stick / one kit at a time. Also, what's the version number of each kit?

Sorry for noob question, but what do you mean by version number? I thought that was the "TR3X6G1600C8D" noted above. I'm sitting here with the box in my hand and see a few different codes but nothing that I can identify as version number.

I have not tried the one stick, one kit tests yet. That's probably best left to the weekend when I have time.

Thanks for your response.

Alan

PS - LOL, one of the reasons that I bought the new rig is for the learning experience. I am sure getting my moneys worth there. Also LOL, the computer really runs well at 1066.

I've been having these kernel power crashes ever since I built this computer.

It's a EVGA x58 SLI LE with an i7 920 on 3x2GB TR3X6G1600C8D and Windows 7.

The crashes were pretty random and almost never happened when playing Left 4 Dead 2 or CoD MW2. It would usually be when watching movie trailers, or specifially it would always happen when organizing pictures in an album on facebook. It also happened consistently when I looked at my video library on Zune.

I've been really stumped on it and didn't know what to try until I saw this thread. I read this whole thread and I believe my problem is fixed as I am unable to get my computer to crash (doesn't that sound nice?).

In my BIOS I set the Performance Profile as XMP Profile 1, which automatically set my voltage to 1.65v, and the speed to 1600Mhz.

It still crashed at these settings so I read on. I read about upping the voltage to 1.75v so I did that, but the crashing was still there.

I was also a little concerned about having my voltage up to 1.75v since some people here didn't seem very happy about that. So I looked into it some more and ended up setting my CPU VTT to +300mV which should put me at 1.4v. I think I read it here, and somewhere else that the 1.75v is okay as long as you up the CPU VTT to within .5 or preferably .45 of the memory voltage. So that's what I did.

I ended up making these changes:

Profile: XMP Profile 1

Voltage: 1.75v

CPU VTT: +300mV (1.4v)

Everything else is default. I hope it stays this way, and I won't declare victory unless I go like a week without crashing, but I'm able to do everything I was not able to do before these settings.

Thanks a ton for all you guys who killed yourselves doing all those tests. This stuff is nuts.

has anyone been able to run this ram at 1600 stable at 1.65v? I asked EVGA about bumping up the voltage to 1.75 and they don't recommend it as it could damage the memory control on the cpu and that Intel may not support it. They suggest I try another set of supported memory for the board or try the sticks in another system, both of which are highly inconvenient.

I'm frustrated with this memory. I have version 3.1.

Archived