Corsair Community

Dead HW1000W (I think)

french_hustler

Hi,

So this PSU has been good since last October of 2008.

Tried to power on my system but it would just start and power-off immediately.

I shorted the green wire with ground with one fan plugged in. Same thing happens, PSU kicks the fan on and right away powers off, with the fan only going for 1 rotation.

Is there a way to fix this myself as I have school starting this week and really need my desktop for my CS studies. I really can't afford to wait a whole 2 weeks for a new PSU.

If not, may I please attain an RMA?

And is there any way possible to make the process faster than 10-14 days?

Thank you.

french,I am just a member not someone who can give RMA's. My P/S (same as yours) would do the same if a short was detected. Unplug that one fan and see if you still fail the paperclip test. Make sure everything really is disconnected when you do the paperclip test. Corsair people will want you to post system specs. better get them up.

Are you doing the paperclip test with the 12VATX cable unplugged?

I 1st tested the psu by powering the Mobo on a cardboard with only 1 2gb stick of ram, cpu + heatsink + fan. I also tried re-seating the heatsink and cpu. Also... after the first time, attempting to power on the mobo doesn't do anything. To get anything to happen, I have to reset the psu. Once resetted with the behing switch or unplugging/plugging the power cable, the same thing happens again. Starts then stops, then can't do anything after that unless I reset the psu.

Mobo powers on for less than a sec and powers off. Blue power led shows, amber led for standby shows, and red led for cpu blinks like it should, and the mobo flashes FF as a code (Fully Functional).

I tried the short test with only one of the case fan. I shorted the green wire with a black ground wire. Fan starts spinning and then stops without completing one full rotation.

I doubt both my fan & my mobo have a shorting problem.

Are you doing the paperclip test with the 12VATX cable unplugged?

Yes sir.

Archived