Corsair Community

Dual Channel Memory on a Single Channel Board?

MortalToad

My MoBo does not support Dual Channel Memory. I didn't know this when I ordered: "Corsair XMS TWINX2048-3200C2PT 2GB 2X1GB PC3200 DDR400 CL2-3-3-6 184PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit". The RAM will arrive in a day or two.

If I install this RAM will it cause a problem or damage anything?

It obviously won't be running at full capacity, but will it run at all?

Hello Wired, Thanks for your reply.

I saw that you had stated this before on another thread and I still don't understand it.

Here is a quote from the link you provided:"TWINX matched memory pairs are specifically designed for motherboards using chipsets with dual memory channels."

The web-site where I purchased the memory called it a "Dual Channel Memory Kit" And also if I go through your link to my favourite retailer the specs there say: "Dual Channel Kit"

What then does this refer to when they say duel channel? Does it mean they are selling the memory in 2 sticks at a time? Does it mean they have been tested running together to prove their compatibility? (If three sticks were tested together they would be called "triple channel"?)

But regarless of all that, it seems to me you are saying it is safe to use this memory, and that's really all I was hoping to hear since it is on it's way today.:biggrin:

Thank you again for your time and effort.

• Corsair Employee

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, Dual channel is a function of the Chipset or memory controller, you would only need to use two modules in the correct slots to enable this feature.

Some resellers are not very technical and will miss quot the module sets as Dual Channel Memory, while they are tested in a D/C MB they are not dual channel them selves.

Archived