Corsair Community

Flash Voyager 4GB problem

betamx

I purchased this drive yesterday, I have two problems with it.

The write performance is very low ~2.5MB/s max, I tested it with hdbench here are the results:

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5880/hdbench.jpg

The second problem is the drive gets randomly disconnected, I tested it on two separate computers and it happens on both of them.

What do you suggest, should I return it to the local store, or send it back directly to Corsair?

• Corsair Employee

The speeds don't seem to be that bad but if you're having connection problems with it lets have it replaced.

Let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Thank you for the answer Ram Guy, just for the record I tried the stick again but now it's only recognized as USBest device, the drive letter appears but is unavailable. I'll use the form, thanks again.

Ram Guy, after calculating the cost of shipping I decided to return the drive to the store where I purchased it. Shipping cost would be equal or greater than the price of this product... :bigeyes: so it's a no go for me.

I'll rather have the store pay for the shipping cost, and buy another 4gb drive for this money while there, that way I'll have a (hopefully) working drive instantly.

Of course if you agree to send me an at least 8gb drive back, I'll send it to the Netherlands gladly :laughing:

• 2 weeks later...

So finally i received the replacement drive from my local reseller, this time it's a 8gb voyager. General write performance is still very slow (see attached pic). The bigger problem is the first few mbytes on the drive seem to be faulty, write speed on these blocks are ~50-200kbyte/s... lol

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5301/hdbench8gb.jpg

One more thing, on this specific drive i can't see the size (8gb) or anything written on the led's plastic cover

the original 4gb drive actually had the size written on it... anyway thanks for the info, it really doesn't matter, I just needed the fact that it's not a fake.

I'll be testing the first part of the drive though, the ~100k/s performance there is not too great.

Ram Guy, apparently the slow usb write speed (2,5mb/s) i was experiencing has been caused by my old Total Commander 6.51 installation. After upgrading to the newest 7.x version i can now write the disk at ~5.5mb/s.

Regarding the first part of the drive, I've made some tests. The problem seems to be the first 8 mbytes on the drive, it is in fact slower than the rest. Could you recommend me a benchmarking software which I can use to test this specific area on the drive?

ok, i,ve just quickformatted the drive, hdbench results indeed show some improvement:

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/2274/hdbench8gbformatted.jpg

also i can write the first 8mbytes @ ~3mb/s now, that's an acceptable speed for 2-3 secs.

Case closed, thanks for the help Ram Guy!

Archived