Corsair Community

HX520 Fan should be Exhaust or Intake?

coookie

Hello,

Good Day to all!

Sorry in advance if this question has already been posted and answered here, I've been trying to search it for the past 30 minutes as a guest user and finally I decided to sign up since I can't find an answer to my question.

Here it goes.....

I have a mini ITX rig (Silverstone SG05) and just recently bought an HX520, I have liquid cooling on my CPU and have 1 120mm intake infront of the SG05 case, would it make more sense to have the HX520 PSU fan exhaust hot air from the case or intake cool air from outside and drop it on top of the CPU and NB area? I don't feel much air getting out the back of the PSU anyways. I know that the general orientation of the PSU fan is to exhaust hot air out he case. I guess I wanna know if someone reversed this and made the PSU fan dump air inside the case instead and what are the pros and cons of doing this.

Thanks!

BTW: This forum rocks! I learned a lot and still learning about PC hardware.

Yes, I am aware of voiding the warranty :) I just wanna know if intake or exhaust fan orientation on the PSU would make any difference.

I've read a lot of materials from the net but I'm still lost, I need to know from someone who tried themselves and found that intake or exhaust is better for the PSU and the PC as a whole :)

• Corsair Employee
I have not seen anyone try this, however the fan is designed only to keep the PSU itself cool and may not be effective for cooling your system either way. The fan speed is controlled thermally and depending on the load on the system, and in most cases the PSU fan will spin very slowly. You could try flipping the fan or using an aftermarket fan, but as Wired said, it would void your warranty, so we could not recommend it.

Thank you for all the answers to my question. I have one spare PSU lying around and tried to filp the fan so that it intakes air outside and dumps the air inside the case, installed it on my system and took temp readings:

Proc: 37c , 35c, 35c, 37c respective cores

MCP: 65c

GPU: 50c

Now I installed my stock HX520 which have the fan exhaust air outside the case, my readings are:

Proc: 38c , 35c, 37c, 37c respective cores

MCP: 65c

GPU: 50c

I'd say there isn't much difference. :)

Archived