Corsair Community

750TX generating too much heat!

zoidster

I've had this new PSU for a week & i can't stand it any more - it's too hot in here! I've got 2 room fans blowing on me & the PC while the house has AC running! The PC has 2 iCage 120mm fans in front (with one drive) sucking air in, an 80mm fan on top & 2 90mm rear fans blowing out. I'm only browsing online looking for a solution, I'm not an overclocker, & this system is running hotter than I can stand it! Perhaps it's a good setup for the winter but this is summer here. I can't imagine what the temps would be if I actually made the computer work hard on something. I've even tried leaving the side off with the case open to no avail. Of course I submitted the issue online to Corsair, but I am desperate for some information immediately. I can't live with this.

• Corsair Employee
You may want to remove the PSU from the case to see if the PSU causes the heat or if it may be some combination of the other components in the system causing it. If it looks like its the PSU then we can replace it for you. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your replies

i'd rather not have to return it, i would really like to know if the air exhaust area on the back should feel very warm to the touch or not. Yes, the exhaust from the GPU is much warmer, but the case fan blowing out the back is cool air. Don't forget, i'm hardly running anything at this point, there's only one hardrive in there, & i've only been surfing online so far to find out why this room is 85-90 degrees & the rest of the house is a lovely 74 degrees.

should the PS feel very warm to the touch where the air exhausts even tho this system is under an extremely minimum load?

A PSU should roughly be about the same as body temperature. It shouldn't feel really hot, even if it's under load.

Why don't you try something like Everest, Sandra or PC Wizard etc to check your PC's temps?

It may not give you PSU temps (depends on hardware), but it will tell you the temps of your other hardware (as well as voltages, fan speeds etc).

Software monitoring programs aren't entirely accurate, but they will give you a good idea.

hey thank you, but i continue to point out that the heat dissipation from the rear of the unit is hot, is this normal under no load? yes it is actually hot, it's not body temperature, the expelling air & grill are hotter than any PSU i've ever had, altho it doesn't burn & i can keep my hand on it - then to reach inside the PC & touch the internal sides of the PSU it is just warm. i'm concerned what is considered normal. can anyone tell me if the heat coming out of their 750TX under no load is this hot? or is it rather tepid or cool? anyone?

thank you for putting up with me

• Corsair Employee

You may want to remove the PSU from the case to see if the PSU causes the heat or if it may be some combination of the other components in the system causing it.

If the PSU gets just as hot when its outside of your case, then we know that the PSU is the cause of the heat and its not your system that is contributing to it. Every system is different, the PSU may be cool, warm or hot to the touch depending on many factors. What we need to find out is if the PSU is getting this hot on its own or if there are other contributing factors. If the PSU stays cooler when its outside of the case then you may consider adding a fan to the system. Your older PSU may have had a faster spinning fan that helped keep the system cool, but ours is designed for quiet operation and it will not have a significant effect on cooling your system.

• Corsair Employee
got it, i am going to unbuild the computer & test the PSU outside like you've said, then i'll get back with the results - thank you so much

the fan info makes more sense now too

No problem at all, let us know your results!

Archived