Corsair Community

Problems with VS1GB400C3

Cotton

Just got 4 PC3200 1gb modules from tigerdirect, put all four in my dimm slots and when i start the comp up, it's just a black screen and nothing else no picture. Computer starts up fine fans and all just no picture. I've currently 2x256 and 1 512 totaling 1g on the mobo. I've tried just putting 2 in still same results, 1 module same results, tried alternating them between all dimms same result.

I have a Gateway 507GR(2005) stock with the small exception of 8600gt PCI-e 0.0, and Vista Ultimate. I have talked to the tech support over the phone and the solution we came up with was to update the BIOs but the only BIOs thats available i already have. I've also contacted Gateway and their solution was to...Update the BIOs :(

Any and all help is much appreciated, Thanks in advance

Ps. Included a DxDiag

DxDiag.txt

no i dont have the module in i currently have my old memory setup of 2x256 1 512, in or i wouldnt even be able to reply, due to the fact that when i use the 1gb modules i just get a black screen and thats it, the computer starts up fans, drives, etc..

I've talked to gateway and they had said at first that it would only take 2 gigs of ram total. 512x4, but after he read the actual specs from intel it said that it would support 4x1gbs at 400 pc32000, and the current memory I have in it that works is also 3200.

I don't understand how the board could be bad if the memory I currently have works just fine. :(

I'd also like to add that just recently when I started down this bumpy road, something called "windows module installer" had been failing to start or something like that whenever i boot up to my desktop. Not sure if that helps with anything but I thought i'd throw it in there.

I don't understand how the board could be bad if the memory I currently have works just fine. :(

The motherboard memory controller might well not work with a higher density DRAM and work with a lower density DRAM even though the chipset specs say it will work with that DRAM.

I usually advise people NOT to purchase off the web for their OEM systems with regards to memory. I advise people to take the system to a tech shop and have them not only install memory that works, but also test that memory with Memtest as OEM systems are not as nearly standard as clone workstations which have BIOS's that allow for changes to the system

The amount of time a person might well spend getting a stable OEM system can be better spent by allowing a tech shop to test DRAM until a workable solution is found.

i see.. but when i spoke to the gateway tech guy he said that it would take 1gb based on what he read from intel. Anyways don't think that really matters much now considering my computer is junked now.. takes me at least 5 times to, start the computer up see if i dont just get a black screen shut it down, turn it back on.. repeat that till i can finally get to my desktop, then when that happens i get Windows Modules Installer stopped working. Just recently got blue screens which would immediately shutdown my computer. This has never happened before till i started with upgrading the memory.

I would just install the previous DRAM in the system. Clearly that OEM Dell machine has issues, either with the compatibility of the DRAM or with the capacity of the DRAM.

Dell's tech support should give you the reality of what their custom boards can accept and not jut look at the chipset for accessible density or addressable memory.

I would contact Dell again and ask to move up the ladder if you get another help desk that is not very knowledgeable.

Cotton,

That motherboard is a Gateway OEM version of an Intel-"manufactured" motherboard. And at the time that the most recent BIOS version became available for that motherboard, all of the 512MB modules were double-sided. (Sadly, the only "new" 512MB DDR1 modules which are still available are all single-sided.) The maximum density per IC chip that's supported on that motherboard is only 256Mbit. (1GB modules require a density per IC chip of at least 512Mbit in order to maintain a JEDEC-standard x8 IC configuration; 1GB modules which use 256Mbit IC chips are the so-called "high-density" memory modules with x4 IC chips which will not work at all with any Intel chipset-based system or any AMD system with an on-die memory controller).

In this case, then you're out of luck. The only way that you could upgrade to 2GB would be to buy used old 512MB PC2700 or PC3200 modules and fill up all four memory slots.

Alrighty well thank you guys for your input has been very helpful.. lol i think i'll be contacting corsair for some kind of return. As for this crapped out computer, I guess i'll have to wait till i can build my own. :( lol took 10 mins this time just to get to desktop, have to turn on off on off.. and sometimes gives me the no memory beeps with the old setup of x2 256 1x512 :(.

Thanks again very helpful.

Alrighty well thank you guys for your input has been very helpful.. lol i think i'll be contacting corsair for some kind of return. As for this crapped out computer, I guess i'll have to wait till i can build my own. :( lol took 10 mins this time just to get to desktop, have to turn on off on off.. and sometimes gives me the no memory beeps with the old setup of x2 256 1x512 :(.

Thanks again very helpful.

In addition, you can run the above (quoted) memory setup (with its three sticks of memory) only in single-channel mode and at a maximum memory speed of only DDR266/PC2100 (133MHz). No wonder why your system is noticeably slower than it should have been. The Intel 915 series chipsets (especially when used with a DDR1 memory controller instead of a DDR2 memory controller) lack the "flex" dual-channel capability that's featured on many of Intel's newer chipsets which use DDR2 or DDR3 memory.

Archived