Corsair Community

8gb DDR2 = major issues on two systems

Zorachus

I just upgraded my motherboard and CPU this weekend, all other parts the same and working sweet. I picked up the Intel X48 chipset, Asus Rampage Formula, and Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650. Before this I had a Abit IP35 Pro, and Intel C2D E6850 which worked awesome too, but my Brother wanted to buy my parts for a deal, and I wanted a an upgrade too ;)

So I have 4 sticks of 2gb each, Corsair DDR2 XMS2-6400, the model# CM2X2048-6400C5DHX timing 5-5-5-18.

Anyways, on both systems with just 2sticks = 4gb they work butter smooth awesome, any of the 4 sticks worked perfect in dual channel mode. Then when I popped in the 2nd pair to fill all four memory banks with now 8gb total the hangups and funky issues would happen. So my Brother said he would buy motherboard and CPU, and I got a good deal on the new Asus and Q9650, and that Rampage mobo is wicked for stability and stuff.

Well I setup up the system and turn her on, and all works perfect, so go to install a fresh new OS of Vista64 Business,and funky errors start happening, and weird crashes like memory dumps while playing WarHammer Online and HalfLife2 the only two games I installed. And just funny issues popping up in Vista, like things just not working or errors.

So I take out 2 sticks and with just 4gb again, everything seems to work fine again. WTF

Sounds like your memory controller's having issues w/ 4 sticks @ full speed. Lower the speed a notch to 667, should be all set to go.

Tried that too thanks, even at 667mhz seems to have even more issues, and errors. And at stock 800mhz still same problems.

Also upped the DRAM to 2.1Volts...North bridge to 1.41Volts, and Command rate to 2N

Archived