Corsair Community

Could it be the Power Supply?

RedChevy79

My symptoms all started tonight. I normally leave my computer on all the time. Tonight I sat down and started working on patching Warcraft. When I finally got to the part to load up the game, I would get consistant blank screens. It appeared that the computer was still running, however I could not see anything. The only thing I could do at this point was a hard reset.

After several attempts like this, my computer finally decided to not boot altogether. The case fans, psu fan, and graphics card fan all spin up. But there is nothing happening on the screen or hard disk leds. So now I am stuck. If I leave the computer off for a half hour or so, I can get it to post, and get to Windows. However after a short bit, (a couple of minutes) I am back to the blank screen. Then successive attempts to revive it are met with the no posting symptom.

I have tried resetting the bios, plugging in only one stick of ram at a time. However it doesnt seem to change anything. When I look at the voltages in the bios, they appear to be "normal".

My computer has run without flaw for two years since I built it. But this one really has me puzzled. I can't switch out the Graphics card, since this is the only pci-e system that I own. Also my other computers use a smaller molex plug on the motherboard, so I cant switch out the powersupplys either.

The fact that I can get it to boot after waiting a bit, really makes me think that it is not the board causing this. I guess my logic is telling me, that once the PSU gets warm, it is causing it issues. But I could be wrong!

Also if we do RMA this PSU, roughly how long does this process take? This is my main computer, and is really the only one strong enough for gaming. So I have to sit and stew untill it gets fixed :)

Well, one thing you could try is a visual inspection of the board. More specifically, make sure the heatsinks are clear of dust and cruft, all the fans spin, etc. Also, look at your capacitors---- any of them leaking/burst, swollen, bulging, etc?

Other than that, you could try listing your specific motherboard, PSU, RAM, and Video card. Maybe someone knows something specific....

Good luck....

One more thing to add ...

After some testing last night (unsuccesful) the video card began to scream when I would turn the computer on. It also does this if you unplug the PCI-E power plugs from it. So it seems the video card is not getting adaquate power either?

Also as noted I did a vis. inspection of the board, everything looks to be normal. dust and dirt ... well not really a problem. I am pretty religious about cleaning out my case. All fans seem to be running.

Well, I went and purchased a new PSU since that would be the easiest thing to change out ...

Well new PSU same issues. I guess now I should guess it to be the main board? I wish I had some way to test the Graphics card so as to rule that out.

Well thank you for the help

Archived