Corsair Community

QUAD2X4096-8500C5DF + Gigabyte X48-DS5

SnuffleKitty

Alright kids, I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm using the board, and memory kit, listed in this thread's title. The Bios that shipped with that board are a mess, but I've since flashed the lastest that Gigabyte lists for the board (F8a), and have had much more luck with it. However, I've run into a bit of a problem. I usually run an overnight session of Memtest+ when I put together a new build, but I'm afraid that it had slipped my mind up until now (about a week on).

Memtest is not happy. Memtest says that my ram isn't functioning correctly. I want to believe Memtest. Memtest has never lied to me in the past.

Basically, I've gone through the usual rigmarole. I may have rushed through it a bit, I only let each stick cook for about an hour, but they both came back error free. But the second that I put them into Dual-channel mode, well, thirty minutes in it had already detected 6 errors. Red slots, yellow slots, same story.

I've seen a number of threads concerning these dominator kits and dual-channel mode. Of course, I've seen nearly as many threads railing Gigabyte for the dual-channel support on their x48 board.

Now, I think that this motherboard is having a fit, and Corsairs ram is just fine. It would be all too easy just to rma the board and be done with it (Gigabyte really dropped the ball on this one).The thing is, I've never had to rma anything before, and I have no idea how long I would be without a board . I'm really not looking forward to being without a Pc for, well, any length of time. I haven't experienced any problems in Windows, or OpenSuse, I've run Prime95 for 10+ hours, no errors. So all that I'm going on is Memtest's reliability.

Uh so, yeah, what do you fellows think?

-SnuffleKitty

Did the BIOS select 5-5-5-15 automatically? Did you manually set the volts for 2.1? There is another voltage minimum you may need to tweak - RAMGUY has the scoop on that. With all four slots filled, you may need to drop the memory speed down to DDR800.

I set it to 5-5-5-15 manually, but regardless, the board would only set looser timings, so I don't see how that could really be a problem.

Now as for the voltage of the ram, honestly, I would swear on anything you like that that the ddr18v was reading as reading as ~2.2v when I was running my tests earlier. But just now, as I was poking around in the bios, I noticed that the ddr18v was only reading as 1.8v. Human error on my part? Maybe. But I'm not entirely convinced. I've increased it by .35v, which should leave it at just about 2.2, and I'm going to run it through memtest now.

Basically it comes down to this:

Either I misread the voltage in bios, or the board was giving me false reading.

-SnuffleKitty

The problem is not Corsair's. The issue of 4 slots of memory loading the controller too much is common to all memory makers. The problem lays with the motherboard.

I would have made the same mistake and simply bought two more sticks to double my memory - until I started reading about the issues in here.

Edit to add: If you leave the timings at 5-5-5-15 and lower the speed to 800, I bet you'll have better luck. And memory will be faster too.

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/QUAD2X4096-8500C5DF.pdf

Corsair shouldn't be sending such mixed signals, ya know?

This is my mistake, not Corsairs. Your DRAM is warranted for 2.2v. To be sure, look at the modules and see what they show for voltage. If they show 2.2v, then you are correct and the mistake is mine with regards to voltage of the DRAM. I would test each stick singly at 1066 with 2.2v and then in pairs and finally as a Quad kit. If they fail at 1066Mhz with 5-5-5-15 2T and 2.2v, then I would look towards RMA.

@ OldGeezer

The Quad Kits are of a higher throughput than the Twin Kits. Very likely the Quad kits can hit 1200Mhz or so in a two stick solution which is why the memory controller can run them in a four slot population at 1066Mhz. They have already been dropped when at 1066Mhz.

Actually, no, I'm the one who is mistaken. I've got the twin 2GBx2 set, not the quad 1GBx4 set, which would mean that I am overvolting this set a little bit. But an overvolt of .1v should not be causing any sort of instability.

I'm going to run this ram through it's paces at 2.1v, but frankly, at this point, I'm probably just going to rma.

-SnuffleKitty

Note the difference between the Quad Kit and two Dual Kits. You are advised to drop the bandwidth to 800Mhz on two dual kits installed in your system. Sooner or later you will damage your Memory controller and have to RMA the motherboard as well.

The Dual kits X 2 are NOT the same as a Quad Kit. Do not treat them the same with regards to your system and keep in mind that there is NO support for two Dual kits installed as a Quad Kit.

Drop the bandwidth...

• Corsair Employee

OK To Be clear

With 2 Twin2x2048-8500C5XX Kits 4 modules DDR667/800 would be suggested.

With 1 Twin2x4096-8500C5XX one kit of two 2.0 Gig modules they will run at DDR1066.

Or With 2 Twin2x4096-8500C5XX two Kits 8 Gig total DDR667/800 would be suggested.

Archived