Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394 Woes

cstafford38

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by minos8 [/i] [B]Thank you for this interesting posting dbasco. So that means i have poison on my board .. xms 3200LL .. my record is 152FSB with my 2.66 = 3050Mhz @ 1.7V do you know if someone tested it with the new TwinMOS 256MB DDR-DIMM, PC3700, CL2.5 ? 466Mhz ready [/B][/QUOTE] I didn't write the post but I know the tests Prom and a lot others have done. I don't have any 3200 to see for myself. But with a 2.66 you should have a lot higher fsb than 153 as I get that with my 3.06 with a 23 multiplier. dbacso

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure witch Hyper X timing but i'll find out tomorrow or if you want to before hand read the entire post. Informative. Much more then me trying to remember it all.:D The one thing I'm trying to explain and that I HAVE read and KNOW from personal experience with my own SINXP is that the SINXP does not like the #2 too much in the cas latency. I don't care what the mem's manufacturer swears it will do. It won't on the SINXP and be that stable. Especially...with 2 sticks. dbacso Found out...2-3-3-7

thanks... could i just get a link to the post.. =) well it was up at 2-2-2-6 but my stupid ass has to go and try to push it to 2-2-2-5 wont boot.. =(.. i thought the f6c bios was suppost to default to 2-3-3-7 settings.. man.. oh well.. gotta to go rent some ram tomrrow.. dont you just love costso's return policy....

quote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by minos8 Thank you for this interesting posting dbasco. So that means i have poison on my board .. xms 3200LL .. my record is 152FSB with my 2.66 = 3050Mhz @ 1.7V do you know if someone tested it with the new TwinMOS 256MB DDR-DIMM, PC3700, CL2.5 ? 466Mhz ready Yes, The board has been known to literally burn up twinMos 3700. Does not except it. I don't believe they found out if it was a problem with the TwinMos or the SINXP. I didn't follow up on it. dbacso

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Darkfire01 [/i] [B]thanks... could i just get a link to the post.. =) well it was up at 2-2-2-6 but my stupid ass has to go and try to push it to 2-2-2-5 wont boot.. =(.. i thought the f6c bios was suppost to default to 2-3-3-7 settings.. man.. oh well.. gotta to go rent some ram tomrrow.. dont you just love costso's return policy.... [/B][/QUOTE] [url]http://www.abxzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=63[/url] You'll have to dig but you'll find it! :D dbacso

Start reading the reviews or use search for whatever specific. Yes and you want to look for Prom and Big toes articles mainly. But you can tell who knows and whow blo... dbacso Easy Tune? hehehe... Yes, go to ADD/Remove programs and remove! :D

This thread is a good starter and you'll see where Mimos got his info he made his website out of. [url]http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=36832[/url] And B0 is the chip version of the NB I belive. You'll catch it on boot up if your quick. Unless you got this when it FIRST came out or from some small 1 horse town you most likely have B0. Not you the board that is....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Darkfire01 [/i] [B]lol yeah thanks =).. btw where can i download the sis chipset info for xp program... [/B][/QUOTE] Sorry, not following?! Do you mean the driver for the SIS 655?

Darkfire01, I can't find it myself. I just figured mine was a B0 since it was made in April. Only the first were A0. When was yours built? Do you have AIDA32 or BELARC ADVISOR? They tell you when the board was built. I'm sure yours would be a B0 .....? I'llsend you over the program or a link so you can DL it. dbacso

• 1 month later...
I am also have trouble with this, would love to tweak about with the timings to get it stable, but when I upgraded to F7 it wouldn't post, so I ordered some cheap crucial memory to get past post. Originally got past post by sending my case into my local computer shop and got his memory to boot my machine up (I do have another computer, but it's a slighty outdated 6year old computer, and doesnt have 184pin memory). The trouble is that it says it supports DDR400 on the box, in the manuals, and on numerous hardware review sites, but what I don't get is that it says it does not support it on one single website when they can change as they please. Just not good enough, I sent a few emails about this and none were replied back. I heard it was only the LowLat Corsair it had problems with because of its agressive timings. Now I'm stuck with a P2 233mhz machine until my Crucial memory is delivery on Tuesday :mad: I take it 2-2-2-6 is the best stable timings it will allow?

• 4 weeks later...
Neil, I bought my SINXP1394 board back in March. I too, have had a lot of problems with this board...trying to make this board fast and stable and have spent more money than I expected to make this board work. The board is not a bad board...it's just very picky. I have received some degree of sadistic enjoyment of seeing owners encounter of the same problems...."Been there, done that mentality". I have a version 1.0 board and have not had any problems, yet in fairness to an earlier post, I have not run my raid or Hyperthreading yet...so I have not encountered those problems. I did initially receive a bad board which I rma'd. The replacement was fine. At any rate...your problem with Corsair's PC3200LL TwinX. You hit the nail right on the head. The SPD on this memory is too aggressive. Some owners have claimed that they are able to run this memory at spec, I tend not to believe those claims unless I could see it for myself; though I am saying that it is not possible. I could comfortably say that most owners have been to the Gigabyte website and looked at the compatibility chart...right. Well...from what I have read on countless sites is that the size of the memory modules also play a part in stability. Bottom line...I do not like having to tweak my memory to allow it to post...goes back to the SPD setting...I do like to overclock and tweak after default. Especially, if you crash...which means you have to insert your cheaper memory to get the memory to post, changing your settings and swapping memory modules. Do yourself a favor and do not ever buy generic memory...big mistake. This memory has problems too. When I ran the TwinX PC3200LL, I had a lot of errors when I ran memtest-86 (I had over 2000 errors) which explained my blue screens of death and intermittent gaming/application minidumps in windows XP Pro to include when you install your OS or any other programs. I do not believe that these errors were caused by bad memory modules. I do believe that my voltage was not high enough to stabilize it in reference to its aggressive settings. I did not test my theory. I just wanted a computer system that would reliably boot up at DDR 400 (dual channel) 2.0 CAS/latency. So... I bought two (512 Mb) dimms of Corsair's XMS PC3500C2 memory and it posts at its SPD, of course, the bios only recognizes this 434 MHz memory at 400 (401 actually) but it works fine ( My bios is using version f6, not f6c, though I have this). But I am still able to overclock (bonus). Corsair produces and sells a great product...been using them for years. Let me know if this helps you. :biggrin:

Darkfire01, Were you able to run Easytune 4? There is a compatibility problem when you install the either the Gigabyte Windows Utility Manager or the Gigabyte Management Tool (one of these, can't remember which) along with Easytune? ...The Easytune overclocking utility will not run. Enough time has gone by since your post....June I do believe... you probably have already figured it out for yourself.

• 5 months later...
[url]http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Support/TechnologyGuide/TechnologyGuide_63.htm[/url] this is Giga-Byte's recommended ram list. i'm not an expert, so when i buy some ram for my ga-sinxp1394 -- i'll be going with the cmx256a-3200c2 (twinx). hopefully it works out, shouldn't really be a problem but you never know .. it seems like this board can be a hassle as far as ram is concerned.

• Corsair Employee
I have this MB running 2 CMX265A-3200C2's with out problems but I can not set any of the timings I have to leave it at By SPD and it runs quite well. But I can take the modules run them on any other MB with out problems at DDR420+ so I know it's not the memory!

so short of changing the motherboard, i'd likely have to leave the ram timing as is? would there be any major downfalls from leaving the timing alone? (edit: i'm a newb, but i bought this board because i'm on a budget and it was really cheap compared to economy p4 boards. i intend to be photoshopping and video editing with the system, with the occasional gaming along the lines of Counter-Strike.)

awesome! i'm really glad to hear you're still getting good use out of it. i bought it because it was for sale new on ebay, for far less than a feature-less P4 board comes new in any store (edit: $115 canadian / $85US taxes & shipping inc.). i'm guessing a lot of people avoided buying it because of it's limitations to 533mhz FSB ram, but i had to bid because it had everything i needed. i shouldn't be hampered too much anyway, i'd considered an AMD system with 400mhz front side bus .. and this should certainly be better. i'm going to be doing a lot of video editing, and i have already lost a maxtor 40gb drive full of endless hours of time and effort worth of editing on my part. because of this i was determined to find a motherboard with RAID support, and this usually doesn't come cheap it seems. as well, on-board firewire support was a bonus because that's the format my camcorder outputs with. even though i did a lot of research into this board before buying, it shows that even a lot of careful and attention to specs can still leave you with problems. i'm just glad i found the right help, otherwise i'd have been screwed. at least i can count on the ram i've purchased, TWINX 2x256mb XMS which should work out well with my system. thanks again RAM GUY and everyone else who've i've received help and advice from -- it's much appreciated. andrew / [email]ajackson1@sasktel.net[/email] / bmxboard.com

Archived