Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394 Woes

cstafford38

• Corsair Employee
Not sure, But many have run the 3200LL modules at DDR333 with the tighter timings and got some impressive #'s so we would suggets testing it with a setting's that is more relaxed and work your way up from there. And use memtest86 to find the breaking point. Basically some MB's may run it and some may not just that your over spec for the Chipset. Ram Guy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah.. but I am running at 333 already. 2-2-2-6 too.. dbasco and I have the same Mobo, but I have TwinX3200, and he has CMX-3500. He can run at 400Mhz clock, I can't.. You know, the supposed incompatibility, between our board (sinxp) and running at 400Mhz ram mem clock that most people seem to be having. This makes me think that it's not that board running at 400 that's the problem, but the type of ram. But, guess that's not right either.. from what I can tell from his last 2 posts, Boyd B. is using both the same mobo and memory as me, but he can run it at 400Mhz. So.. since it worked for dbasco, maybe CMX-3500 works for all people at 400. Haven't heard any other tests with that ram. But it's a fact that sometimes twinx3200 works with the sinxp at 400Mhz, sometimes it doesn't. Wondering.. why.. And, after being forced to run my memory at 333, I did try and work my way up. Skipped a bit, but that doesn't matter, because I tried 400 in the end, and it wouldn't boot. So, with that all said.. Dbasco and Boyd B., can you post all your system info, so we can try and figure out why the Sinxp running with ram at 400Mhz works for some and not others?

Hello Ashiitaka, My system is set up as follows, GA-SINXP1394, not sure which stepping but I received it about 3 weeks ago. Processor P4 3.06 , Corsair TwinX512-3200LL in slots one and three. All motherboard settings are default except running hyperthreading and Top Performance set. I have SATA disabled but using the IDE Raid enabled with Maxtor 60 GB 133 as a single drive with a Western Digital 20 GB 100 as a data backup drive. CD rom and DVD drive are on primary IDE channels 1 and 2 as masters. The Memory settings are 2 2 2 6. I played around with overclocking with memory speed at 400 and CPU speed at 150 and system booted and ran fine without lockups and with stock fan/heatsink. Above that speed the system would not boot with these memory settings and I didn't try to change and use other settings since I did not want to overclock anyway. CPU showed 3.45ghz. With these setting the bios showed at boot 3.45 ghz processor and memory at 400 128 single bit. As I said earlier, I do notice a performance increase since I installed the Corsair memory. I also updated my bios to F5 from F4 while I had the old PC2100 memory installed: not sure if that made any difference. Again I ran mem test with two different utilities and they both showed 3417 which was faster than Intel chipset with Rdram 1066. Hope this is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Guys. running SINXP1394 Rev 1.0 Bios f6. Ram brand: generic 3500C2. Too 512mb PC3500. Timings as listed in bios: 2-8-3-3.... you can use 3500. But you to need get name ram. No Generic ram. This ram i useing is crap.I'm going to get some corair ram...... If you guys going to overclock.... You Need Good Ram. For This mobo.

Ashiitaka, Sorry, I was away for awhile. I can list my setup for you but straight out of the box when I load CMX3500 at optimized defaults (NO TOP PERFORMANCE!) I boot at 400 all day long. Now, when I use my OCZ 3200 Revision 3.2 (nice stuff!) with the same default setting I boot AT 333. (This is with the bios running the mem timings at it's default SPD.) I'm sure if you had some good 400 or 433 at more relaxed timings than the 3200 you're running it would boot at 400 also. The SINXP does not like tight timings. Just the way it is. Not saying you can't run the right stick at tighter timings, just that the SINXP is a picky board when it comes to the Ram. FORGET TwinMOSS 3700. It destroys them! Burns them up for some reason. Literally. Gigabyte is checking on why that is. dbacso

my stuff : Pentium 4 (2.66Ghz @ 3.05GHz) 2 x 256MB Corsair XMS 3200 LL (2-7-2-2) @ 408MHz Gigabyte SINXP1394 rev B0 (modded bios F6c) I know that someone else with same mobo and Ram .. can run the ram at 2-6-2-2 settings.. I can't .. Since F6C I can boot on 2-6-2-2 .. but after some seconds it hangs..... So I put 2-7-2-2 ... Is 2.5-6-2-2 a faster setting :question: cu :D

Hi, I recently purchased the Gigabyte 8SQ800 Ultra board with Corsair TWINX 3200LL memory, running P4 2,53 @ 3,06 with 162 FSB and the memory running at 404. I'm using the F5 bios. I found that the default timings of 2-2-2-6 caused instability, and to cure this I had to push the RAS precharge value up to 3, running at 2-3-2-6 instead. It now seems to be quite stable. Initially booting the machine the first time or with a cleared CMOS it will start up with Auto settings on the memory. This causes it to fail posting, but you can get past this by using a stick of slower and cheaper PC2700 memory. It is also possible to persuade it to boot with a single stick of the Corsair 3200LL memory, but until the memory settings is set to manual the machine can lock up at any moment. I was concerned that the cause of the problem was the memory, which is actually relabled by Corsair. It has a XMS3500 label underneath the TWINX XMS3200LL label !!! However with all the problems seen in this forum regarding DDR400 performance of these boards, I am now more prone to blame it on the MB. However I'm still not completely sure. Hope this helps

• Corsair Employee
Well I am sorry but I think if you read back through this thread you will se a link to the [URL=http://www.sis.com/products/chipsets/oa/pentium4/655.htm]SIS chipset Spec[/URL] and it clearly states that the Memory supported by this chipset is PC-2700 not PC3200. So I will leave the rest to you. Ram Guy

• 4 weeks later...
I am struggling with this at the moment with the 8SQ800 Ultra - haven't been able to get it to post yet. Coming here alerted me to the incompatibility with the SiS 655 chipset and PC3200. Nothing at fault on Corsair's side, but those idiots at Gigabyte advertise their board at being DDR 400+!

Hello All, I posted a couple times about my Gigabyte SINXP1394 with Corsair TwinX3200 ram. After initially having boot problems and then getting the system to boot and making all my settings I read a post about running in 64 dual mode. I made this setting change and I booted and bios read 64 bit dual mode. I ran mem speed test and speed improved. AIDA mem test show read 3490 and write 1434. The mem settings are still at 2 2 2 6. I have run the system on Windows XP Home, Pro, and Windows Server 2003. Had no problems with lockups at all. The system is unbelievably fast and solid, especially on my beta copy of Windows Server 2003. The system has a P4 3.06 running at 133 FSB but I have overclocked to 155FSB without problems or even heat issuses with stock heat sink/fan. I am grateful for my good fortune with this system and offer my regret to all that I know have had major problems with their setups. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
ok everyone.. heres whats up.. the sinxp1394 cant run at cas 2-2-2-5 but it can run at 2-2-2-6 at 400mhz... trust me ive done this.. its at top performace and the ddr voltage is at +0.1.. it works.. and im returning this board as soon as possible also the new version of this board is out its suppose to hanlde the tight corsair xms settings better. this problem i have seen only happenes with cas 2 2-2-2-5 pc3200 memory anything else should boot fine. the sis chipset has no official support for pc3200 memory and most mobo manufacturers dont support it at fsb533 only at the new 800mhz fsb.. thats it.. if you want ur comp to run perfectly, get slower memory or a new mobo.. currently im looking at the GA-8KNXP not the GA-8KNXPultra... too expensive... anyone got any comments..?? btw dbacso the first sinxp i got burnt up my xms's too i had it replaced.. this one doesnt.. it was wierd it was only slot 1 &2 that would burn it up...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ashiitaka [/i] [B]Mmm I've already laid a budget for this computer down.. any ideas how much the Canterwood or Springdale would cost? On the other hand, was wondering your opinion on: 1 - If I should keep what I have now - Sinxp, twinx3200 running at 333 (because of 400 issue) and 2-2-2-6 timings 2 - Any combo of current mobo, current ram, 8inxp, xms3000, twinx2700 Thanks [/B][/QUOTE] dont get an 8inxp if you are planning to use an 8x agp graphics card.. its got issues.. look it up =)....

Hey guys, Got my SINXP stable at 160fsb/426Mhz with Corsair 2x512 XMS3500 with 2.5-3-3-7 timings. Wish this forum would allow me to post my Sandra and CPUID test results for you to see. I don't have any 3200 to try out right now. I will next week though. I'm getting some for my daughters system I built her. Then I can try it on this SINXP and see myself how this board acts with 3200. It's not Corsair so it'll be interesting to see how some other 3200 acts. Alright? Boyd B: If your running 64 bit dual you are running single channel with your dual channel memory and you wasted good money on the ram. 128bit single IS the dual channel mode on the SINXP. You can run it like that obviously but you don't need that expensive dual mem. Darkfire01: [url]WWW.ABXZone.com[/url] has a modded SINXP F6c bios that allows you to raise your vdimm to 2.8v and that's what you need with this SINXP. It's in the BIOS thread under "BigToe's Bios Mods". Also, I just got a Canterwood setup if you have any questions. (Another $1000.00 gone......) But I've got the new OCZ GOLD coming tomorrow that is rated 466Mhz but is doing over 500Mhz on the good Canterwood boards!! With the 3.0G 800Mhz P4 I should have no problem either I hope. Hurry-up tomorrow! dbacso :eyebuldge Edit: 880Mhx to 800Mhz (Strange new chip....):zzzz: :woah!:

Sorry guys, I definitely have to get more sleep. I mis-stated myself and the facts in my last post (see above). The Corsair XMS 3500 I said I was running 160fsb/426Mhz is wrong. I have my OCZ PLATINUM 3700's in there running at that. I switch these mems around from system to system so much...I get lost. The Corsair will only do 150 at 412 and that's unstable. I forgot I had the problem with that and had posted RamGuy about it a couple weeks back because it will not run at 433 / 2.5-3-3-7 like it's guaranteed to do. He said to RMA it which I haven't gotten around to yet. Been in the hospital... Again, sorry for the mistake. I guess it would look like none of us are having any luck with any Corsair mem of any sort on the SINXP then?! That's weird. The OCZ 2700 Rev 3.2 will hit 412 at 150 and their 3700 will run 160 at 426 very stable ( I've had it at 460+ but not real stable). I'm real curious about the 3200 I have coming now. Oh well, sorry about the confusion. dbacso :!oops:

i think imma go and get the 8knxp what do you think of the board..?? and thanks for the link ill try it out.. what else do i need ot do..?? oh and i hope that i dont have to swap out the mem again.. cause i just returned the 2700 =)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Darkfire01 [/i] [B]i think imma go and get the 8knxp what do you think of the board..?? and thanks for the link ill try it out.. what else do i need ot do..?? oh and i hope that i dont have to swap out the mem again.. cause i just returned the 2700 =) [/B][/QUOTE] Darkfire01, The Gig 8KNXP is a good solid board. [url]http://tw.giga-byte.com/english-web/products/products.htm[/url] It has a 6 layer PCB, along with the CSA/Intel Pro/1000 Ct Lan/ 2xSATA w/ICH5 and 2xSATA w/Sil Controller plus Giga ATA Raid and a lot more on top of it...IF you need all that. If you don't need 2 SATA RAID controllers but only one and not the best LAN then go with the 8IK1100 and save some money. You still have 2xSATA by the ICH5R which is faster than the Silcon Image and you still have Giga ATA RAID. It'll clock the same just save you money if you will never use some of the extras. BUT...it's not near the fastest out there. Then you're looking at Abit IC7 or IC7-G, Asus P4P800 and Aopen's AX4C. And a few more. There's a few out there especially with all the 865 boards released now. Lot of homework but that web site I mentioned in my last post will help you do your homework if you really want to upgrade already. The SINXP is one hellava board once you get the right setup with mem and all. One thing though if you go with a new Canterwood or Sprindale board...stay far far away of MSI's 875 Neo. Speaking from experience from buying one as my first Canterwood. SUCKS>>>SUCKS>>>SUCKS! And MSI could care less it seems. Major bios issues that we know of. God only knows what we don't. Well, I hope that helps ya some.:) dbacso PS. If you're not going to buy a 800Mhz chip then you best might stay with the SINXP cause the 800Mhz cpu is what makes those Canterwood boards rock. :woah!:

you mean abxzone right.. thanks a ot btw.. but i was under the impression that the sinxp couldnt do 800mhz but well if it can i think ill stick with it.. ive been having some issues though.. like with quake3 and alice.. games but just pushing the compter will cause it to reboot.. generally happens after a while though... and i cant seem to get rid of it... ive about had it with this board but giga-byte is the only one with the features that i want.. i was looking at the msi.. but i passed it over cause it lacked features that i was looking for.. but from my experience msi is still a good company.. my friend swears by it.. but from what ive seen all of the new boards have major issues.. all i really want to do is run 533 2.53ghz with pc3200.. with the abitlity to upgrade to 800mhz later... which is why i was looking at the new chipsets.. i really like this board... but i am still a little pissed that giga-byte couldnt get it right.. and even more that they advertised pc3200 support..

I don't think the SIN will do 800. I know Abits $80 BH7 will! But you know that you have to have a 800Mhz CPU to run 800 on any board, right? An 800 board won't run your 2.53 533 fsb at 800 no matter what. So if you want that it starts costing bucks again. From what Prom (very smart guy) from ABXZone.com found out in all his testing of the SINXP is that Kingston HperX 3500 ran the best and fastest on the SINXP. Then 3500 OCZ. Corsair LL is poison to a SINXP as it is to Canterwood. Read this that has been found out about it. Prometheus Section Moderator Offline Location: Rochester, NY Local time: 02:26 AM Member Since Jan 2002 (post #30) With my current best-performing memory - which is the new 2,7,3,3,1 spec Kingston HyperX 3500 - I can do 156 at DDR416 2,7,3,3 with my 2.8 on a SINXP at default voltage , and 167 with some voltage and SetFSB. This setup runs the Marks all day at 163FSB. On this Canterwood the same chip barely makes it to 143-145 WITH voltage at about DDR350. I did finally get a boot at 150, but Windows really wasn't stable. If you thought the SiS655 is picky about memory and memory timings, wait until you work with Canterwood. I WILL try to test with more memory - I also have OCZ3500EL and Corsair LL (better known as Canterwood poison ), but I haven't found the OC secret yet. Many here have lower muptiplier 533's and I hope they find some high OC's and post their results. I could be wrong, but I really don't think it is just this board - I think what I'm seeing is about Canterwood at this point in time. UPDATE: My problem turned out to be SPD memory timings, and I have now found memory that works well with this board. I just hit 157FSB at default vCore with my 2.8 and 160 at 1.6v - these are the best I have done with this CPU on any board. Benchmarks and further testing are in progress. That's from ABXZone. dbacso

thanks.. thats a lot to digest.. i know that my 2.53 wont run at 80mhz.. i was hoping that i could get a board that i could upgrade to later on.. but anyway.. thanks.. ill reuturn the corsair but ive already tried hyperx 3200 and still the same problem.. ill try it again... good though.. cause its cheaper.. =)... oh and should i be gettin the hyperx's at 2-2-2-6 or 2-3-3-7

Thank you for this interesting posting dbasco. So that means i have poison on my board .. xms 3200LL .. my record is 152FSB with my 2.66 = 3050Mhz @ 1.7V do you know if someone tested it with the new TwinMOS 256MB DDR-DIMM, PC3700, CL2.5 ? 466Mhz ready

Have you downloaded and installed the F6c bios mod? If not are you running a RAID? There are 2 F6c bios mods. One includes the updated drivers for the RAID controllers with the bios and the other is the modded bios alone. But you need that extra voltage to the vdimm it seems if you're randomly rebooting. What's your set up and specs (timings through out?) dbacso

yeah i got the mod.. thanks again.. also i am not running raid... i cant get my raid to set up as a standard ide channel.. but anyway.. i got the ram at 2-2-2-6 and the mem voltage +.2.. thats it.. i took off the optamized defaults... thats it off the top of my head... ill go reboot and check if you want.. btw the random rebooting problem... has it been known to be fixed by the bios mod..??

Copy-Paste from [URL]http://www.minos.ch[/URL] Pentium 4 (2.66Ghz @ 3.05GHz) [1.7V] @ 20 X 152FSB Thermaltake Spark 7 2 x 256MB Corsair XMS 3200 LL (2-7-2-2) @ 408MHz RAM [+0.2V] AGP [+0.2V] Gigabyte SINXP1394 rev B0 (modded bios F6c) Visiontek Xtasy 9800 PRO 128MB @ 425/742MHz Antec True 430W Antec PLUS 1000AMG IBM 60GB 7200rpm Seagate 60GB 7200rpm Logitech MX300 + fUnC YES, bios f6C .. and NO Raid ... the improvement with the Bios F6C was that i could boot on 2-6-2-2 .. but after 15 seconds it hangs .. lol ... so i get back to 2-7-2-2 ...

Archived