Corsair Community

PC Won't Run Stable With 4GB RAM

Okay, here's the issue. I built a PC using 2GB of Corsair XMS2 RAM and 2GB of some HP DDR2 RAM. The machine ran perfectly for two months.

Then, out of nowhere, it wouldn't get past my BIOS loading screen. I then tried taking out the RAM and simply putting it back in and it fixed the issue of hanging at the BIOS screen. However, it would freeze in the OS, so I tried taking out the HP RAM since I figured mixing the two types might be causing the issue (plus the HP RAM is a cheaper make). The machine ran stable at 2GB using Corsair, so I decided to just pick up two more GB of the same Corsair RAM.

I did that a little over a week ago and it was running fine until yesterday when the system froze in the OS and I again couldn't get past the BIOS screen. Since then, I took out two sticks and, so far, it's running stable (although it hasn't been running for too long since I took out the two sticks). Also, I should note that, before this, I tried just putting one stick of the HP RAM in there to see what would happen and it seemed to run fine.

Anyways, why is it having problems with 4GB of RAM?

Thank you.

Hmm, I tried making those changes, but I got a long beep when the PC restarted. I took one of the sticks out and reverted the BIOS settings back to default 'auto' and it's running. Again, I'm running on 3GB right now as opposed to the 2GB I was running at stable before. I guess I'll see if it freezes at 3GB with the default BIOS settings.

Well, the system was freezing again with the 3GB of RAM at the auto voltage. I have changed the voltage to 2.10 and have not experienced any freezing yet with the 3GB. I will let you know if it occurs. If I don't get any freezing by the end of tomorrow, I'll probably try putting in the fourth stick to see if that changes anything.

• Corsair Employee
So far, so good. And don't be afraid to set the memory voltage all the way to 2.1 volts. We test these modules at 2.1v and that is where we would suggest they are run at to guarantee they are functioning properly. Also, you might try running http://www.memtest.org on the 3 modules to make sure that the system is stable in your present configuration.

Hmm...last night when I pressed the 'shut down' button, nothing happened, so I did a manual shut down. Then, when I tried to turn it on today, it stopped at the BIOS screen again. I took out one stick of RAM, so now it's running again at 2GB.

Archived