OK: Just adding some new information as perhaps it will help:

When Running CPUID-Z I my Q6600 shows:

Core: 2400 MHz

Multiplier: 9

Bus Speed: 266.7 MHz

Rated Bus: 1066.9 MHz

The Memory tab shows I am running Dual Channel and have all 4 GBs and:

DRAM freq: 400.1 MHz

FSB:DRAM: 2:3 (yes, it's 2:3, I did not transpose the digits)

CL: 5.0

tRCD: 5

tRP: 5

tRAS: 12

tRC: 22

CR: 2T

In the SPD Timings table I have:

Frequency: 270 Mhz 400 MHz

CAS# latency: 4 5

RAS/CAS: 4 5

RAS Precharge: 4 5

tRAS: 13 18

tRC: 15 22

voltage: 1.8v 1.8v

Hi,

I'm new at this so bear with me.

I just want to know what BIOS timings/settings are going to be the most stable and/or efficient with this RAM in my system.

My system boots with 4 GB no problem, although I do get a system hang from time to time(which I'd like to eliminate).

just trying to stabilize and set things up so they work efficiently and deliver stability. Any help is much appreciated. thanks.

thanks!

Perhaps this will help:

Ram is @ 800MHz

FSB is @ 1066

FSB:DRAM=2:3

..not sure if that's optimal or not.

I set the timings at 5-5-5-12 1T

I'm getting a very sporadic system freeze with Vista Ultimate. Just want to make sure I have things set up as good as I can.

thanks.

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules the memory frequency should be set to DDR667 and command Rate should be set to 2t with Intel Platform MB's I have not seen one run reliably with it set to 1t. And even with AMD if you have more than two modules installed the command Rate should be set to 2T.

Ram Guy,

System is still unstable, although MemTest is clean for 3 passes on each of the four modules.

I have tried:

5-5-5-12 2T@ 2.1v @667Mhz

5-5-5-12 2T@ 1.9v @667Mhz

5-5-5-15 2T@ 2.1v @667Mhz

5-5-5-15 2T@ 1.9v @667Mhz

5-5-5-18 2T@ 2.1v @667Mhz

5-5-5-18 2T@ 1.9v @667Mhz

Auto, for everything

any ideas? My FSB is at 1066. Any help is appreciated.

If you are finding instability in all those situations then your issue is very likely not the DRAM. The chance of more than one stick being at issue is high. The chance of all four is astronomical. Have you updated all drivers? If so, perhaps a re-installation of the OS will clear the issue up. Have you checked your System Event Manager for the source of the lockups? Are you using WinXP? System Event Manager for WinXP:

Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Event Viewer

Any red errors? There will almost always be some but often the issue can be determined.

Set your system to not reboot on errors but instead to hang with a blue-screen information upon error by:

Start --> Control Panel --> System --> Advanced --> Startup and Recovery --> Settings

Uncheck Automatically Restart and set the Write Debugging Information to 64KB.

Now when you have a freeze/blue screen, you can check the Event Viewer and C:\Windows\Minidump. In the Minidump folder you will find a dump (.dmp) file. Open it up with Notepad or Wordpad and look through the dump for the name of the hardware interrrupt/driver that initiated the event.

Post them here. Not the entire dump file, just the device driver ie. (com, exe, sys, ********, dll, etc.)

Also, do NOT set the memory controller to 1T. This is not a good idea.

Thanks,

I'm using vista ultimate, actually.

I went ahead and set up the minidump as you suggested..next time I get a BSOD, I'll see what it turns up.

I've heard this MOBO can be finicky, I'm wondering if maybe I don't have voltages set correctly. I've already swapped the GPU, now I'm also wondering about the PSU or MOBO being faulty.

Thanks again.

Also You'll need to install MS patch 929777 from Microsoft for more than 3 GIG in Win Vista. You can search for it at http://www.microsoft.com.

I must already have the patch, as it says the "patch does not apply to your system".

It's not that my Vista 32 system doesn't boot with vista...I was just curious if there were more appropriate RAM modules for my system given the trouble I've had stabilizing these. I have four sticks, and I've heard that 2x2GB for 4GB is faster, and perhaps better. Any recommendations?

BTW - Windows currently recognizes 3326MB of RAM...perhaps the patch isn't applied correctly. Am I to understand that Vista will actually recognize all four if this patch is properly applied?

Thanks again!

Yes, I've tested with MemTest, with legacy USB disabled. At least 3 passes each on each stick with no errors.

Instability is usually in the form of an intermittent system lockup, i.e. keyboard & mouse don't respond, disk/s stop spinning. I've seen this happen when the system idle's, and under light and heavy loads. Prime95 can run for minutes or hours, and although no Prime95 errors are shown, it does usually end up with a locked screen.

You have system instability external to the DRAM. What you need to do is isolate the issue which is not a simple thing. I would first remove the video card drivers and install ones from the website. I would do the same thing with all the motherboard drivers. Installation of the newest drivers from the mainboard companies website. This includes all chipset and sound drivers, etc. What BIOS version is your motherboard using?

I decided to take the machine down as far as I can go via a reinstall of Vista 32 ultimate. I took out my soundcard as well. Right now I have a CDR/DVDR drive, 1 hard drive, and a dlink 655 wireless adapter, and an evga 8800GT in place. I'm pretty sure it's not the video card as this is the second one I've installed and having the same issues. BIOS is 1205.

After reinstalling vista and getting all the updates I'm still have trouble.

With 4 sticks of RAM you suggested running 5-5-5-18 2T @ 2.1. Just curious, would these settings be the same for 1 or 2 sticks? Just trying to narrow things down.

As far as drivers are concerned, I installed the chipset drivers from ASUS, as that is what ASUS recommends, although I noticed that the nVidia driver package for the chipset comes packaged with a lot more stuff. I've tried both on fresh installs, instability remains.

thanks for all the help.

what would the best timing be for one or two sticks of this RAM...being that I'm taking things down to the fundamentals here.

If those are 6400's then 5-5-5-15 with 1.9v. If they are 6400C4's then 4-4-4-12 with 2.1V. Possibly your mainboard will not play nice with four sticks.

And with 4 modules and the memory frequency set to DDR667 with the Voltage set to 2.0 Volts and the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage set to +.05 Volts will it pass http://www.memtest.org with Legacy USB Disabled?

I swapped out the PSU and reinstalled the OS and now my machine is stable. I was stable using auto timings @ 800MHZ with 4GB.

Thanks for all the help!

Archived