Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400C4 Working in Dell Dimension 4700

Heeshung

Despite being told that most likely the Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 would not work in my computer, even from a Corsair tech-support agent over the phone, my Dell, which utilizes the Intel 915G Chipset and can support RAM up to PC2-4300, I still decided to give the RAM a go because of a good deal I found from a retailer. Even if the RAM did not work, I could've either returned it, or saved it until I built a new computer, if I happened to choose DDR2.

The TWIN2X2048-6400C4 is not listed as an available option in the Memory Configurator for my computer, as I expected. The Dell runs RAM at 1.8v. I thought that since it would be limited to 533MHz, 1.8v should be sufficient to sustain the RAM. Lo and behold, I installed the RAM, and it POST'ed beautifully. I ran CPU-Z once the OS booted up, and it runs as expected. 533MHz, with timings of 4-4-4-12.

The Memory Configurator listed a couple of ValueSelect modules as my options. Why didn't choose them? Very simple explanation: they cost more. With the TWIN2X2048-6400C4, I would be getting a better deal, and if I was dissatisfied, I could always return them, or keep them for a future computer.

They run very stable and I've had no problems with them at all so far. Everything that people are saying about this RAM seems to be true. I'm currently very satisfied. Keep up the good work, Corsair!

Archived